DuckDuckGo Integrates Apple Maps for Map and Address Searches

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Privacy-focused search engine DuckDuckGo today announced that it is using Apple's MapKit JS framework to power the map and address-related searches that its users conduct on both mobile and desktop.

MapKit JS allows DuckDuckGo to provide users with improved address searches, new visual features, enhanced satellite imagery, and continually updated maps without sacrificing privacy.

DuckDuckGo says that Apple Maps will be available embedded within private search results for relevant queries and from the Maps tab on any of the search result pages.

To bring up a map option, users can search for an address, a geographical place, a local business, a type of business, or places nearby.

DuckDuckGo does not collect or share any personal information from DuckDuckGo users, a policy that extends to the Apple Maps integration. Identifiable info like IP address is not provided to Apple, and for searches where approximate location is gathered by the browser, it is discarded immediately after it's used.

Article Link: DuckDuckGo Integrates Apple Maps for Map and Address Searches

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Great news, DDG really needs better maps so this is a great move for them.
Just one question, what's in it for Apple?
Almost all people who use DDG do so for privacy reasons. Associating willingly with Apple can only lead to positive exposure for Apple’s privacy policy and could play a very small part in influencing a user to buy an Apple device.

Just one of many reasons I’m sure. It’s definitely a mutually beneficial move.

Morgenland

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2009
Europe
I am sure that Google is still very good or best for many purposes.
But contrary to popular belief, Google has other major weaknesses in addition to the privacy problem:

Image search on Google is unbearably bad. Uploading reference images is just as cumbersome as years ago (yandex.com uses drag and drop for example) and sometimes shockingly poor in results.
The translations on Google are just good at best (deepl.com is clearly superior in the range of languages it offers).

I am happy that Apple Maps has found its way into DuckDuckGo.
That will definitely get me more to use this charming search engine.

wigby

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2007
Fantastic!! One less reason to use Google.

Apple needs to be doing more of this
Apple didn't do anything in this case. Their MapKit framework has been available to anyone for years but no one has taken them up other offer AFAIK. DDG should be given the credit here for choosing a company that aligns with their privacy policies.

Now if Apple would just dump Google as default search and go with DDG, I would really be impressed because they would be leaving billions on the table and actually putting their customers before profits.

Last edited:

hawkeye_a

macrumors 65832
Jun 27, 2016
Apple didn't do anything in this case. Their Market framework has been available to anyone for years but no one has taken them up other offer AFAIK. DDG should be given the credit here for choosing a company that aligns with their privacy policies.

Now if Apple would just dump Google as default search and go with DDG, I would really be impressed because they would be leaving billions on the table and actually putting their customers before profits.
In that case, good on DDG, and hope they integrate more features from Apple Maps!

ApostolisApo

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2015
Gothenburg
Yep big plus here for Duck, Duck Go. The search results are sometimes not as complete as Google, but they also don't have as much paid spam, fake news, and political correctness in their results.
I think that unregulated internet is what have brought us to this point as humanity. Privacy is one thing and should be preserved and imposed on google and political correctness is another thing, also good and should be encouraged and promoted.

redman042

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2008
Just tried it. It's pretty neat to use Apple Maps in a browser on my Windows work machine. Too bad it doesn't give directions yet but maybe later on.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.