DuckDuckGo Integrates Apple Maps for Map and Address Searches

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 15, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Privacy-focused search engine DuckDuckGo today announced that it is using Apple's MapKit JS framework to power the map and address-related searches that its users conduct on both mobile and desktop.

MapKit JS allows DuckDuckGo to provide users with improved address searches, new visual features, enhanced satellite imagery, and continually updated maps without sacrificing privacy.

[​IMG]

DuckDuckGo says that Apple Maps will be available embedded within private search results for relevant queries and from the Maps tab on any of the search result pages.

To bring up a map option, users can search for an address, a geographical place, a local business, a type of business, or places nearby.

DuckDuckGo does not collect or share any personal information from DuckDuckGo users, a policy that extends to the Apple Maps integration. Identifiable info like IP address is not provided to Apple, and for searches where approximate location is gathered by the browser, it is discarded immediately after it's used.

Article Link: DuckDuckGo Integrates Apple Maps for Map and Address Searches

2. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

DuckDuckGo, while not perfect, is the only search engine I’ve been using for the last 2 years. Their privacy policy isn’t perfect but it’s a hell of a lot better than many others.

3. MagMan1979 macrumors member

MagMan1979

FAN-*****-TASTIC! So glad I left that garbage called Google and went with DDG!

4. brendu macrumors 68020

Glad my preferred search engine is continuing to improve. Keep it going DDG.

5. nouveau_redneck macrumors regular

nouveau_redneck

6. RichTF macrumors regular

RichTF

I love DuckDuckGo, and this partnership makes perfect sense. Both DDG and Apple are nailing the privacy stuff at the moment.

7. buckyballs macrumors regular

It's a clever move. Helps with PR on Apple being privacy-focused, and also helps improve Maps data, and DDG gets a mapping partner they probably have influence with, and possibly don't have to pay. Win-win.

8. nt5672 macrumors 68000

Yep big plus here for Duck, Duck Go. The search results are sometimes not as complete as Google, but they also don't have as much paid spam, fake news, and political correctness in their results.

9. hawkeye_a, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019

hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

Fantastic!! One less reason to use Google.

Apple needs to be doing supporting & encouraging more of this.

10. Jerus macrumors newbie

Great news, DDG really needs better maps so this is a great move for them.
    Just one question, what's in it for Apple?

11. macdragonfl macrumors 6502a

macdragonfl

I have used DDG for a few years now. I have never missed google search. Great news they are expanding and using Apple maps.

12. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

Greater usage? Better crowd-sourced data and points of interest?

And that's not including the implications for one of their competitior's bottom line.

13. IGI2 macrumors 6502

IGI2

14. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Almost all people who use DDG do so for privacy reasons. Associating willingly with Apple can only lead to positive exposure for Apple’s privacy policy and could play a very small part in influencing a user to buy an Apple device.

Just one of many reasons I’m sure. It’s definitely a mutually beneficial move.

15. jasonefmonk macrumors regular

This is awesome, I’ve been using DuckDuckGo for the last few months, I only have to “fall back” to Google for 1 in 15 searches. I’m happy see integration with Apple Maps which I also use regularly.

16. xxray macrumors 6502a

Awesome! I love Apple. I love DuckDuckGo. Perfect match.

17. redneckitengineer macrumors 6502

redneckitengineer

Hooray, I’ve been on DDG for years. I’m glad to see this integration.

18. Morgenland macrumors 6502

Morgenland

I am sure that Google is still very good or best for many purposes.
    But contrary to popular belief, Google has other major weaknesses in addition to the privacy problem:

Image search on Google is unbearably bad. Uploading reference images is just as cumbersome as years ago (yandex.com uses drag and drop for example) and sometimes shockingly poor in results.
    The translations on Google are just good at best (deepl.com is clearly superior in the range of languages it offers).

I am happy that Apple Maps has found its way into DuckDuckGo.
    That will definitely get me more to use this charming search engine.

19. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Same here... for the rare occasions I need to use Google, I use Startpage that gives you Google results without all the tracking and privacy issues.

https://www.startpage.com

20. wigby, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019

wigby macrumors 68000

Apple didn't do anything in this case. Their MapKit framework has been available to anyone for years but no one has taken them up other offer AFAIK. DDG should be given the credit here for choosing a company that aligns with their privacy policies.

Now if Apple would just dump Google as default search and go with DDG, I would really be impressed because they would be leaving billions on the table and actually putting their customers before profits.

21. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Wow this is great news! I left Google completely early last year and went to Bing. I made $40 on Bing rewards for 2018 but that got old and time consuming. Went to DDG as a 2019 new years resolution and this is great.

Great news!

22. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

In that case, good on DDG, and hope they integrate more features from Apple Maps!

23. ApostolisApo macrumors member

ApostolisApo

I think that unregulated internet is what have brought us to this point as humanity. Privacy is one thing and should be preserved and imposed on google and political correctness is another thing, also good and should be encouraged and promoted.

24. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Just tried it. It's pretty neat to use Apple Maps in a browser on my Windows work machine. Too bad it doesn't give directions yet but maybe later on.

25. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Good move for both companies and consumers. Google will always have its place by default, but people are finally starting to pay attention to privacy issues. Google should be rethinking the next 10 years.