DVD Authoring Help??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mprodan, Jul 30, 2017.

1. mprodan macrumors newbie

Hi,

Can someone please tell me how to burn a DVD that will play in any DVD player?

My situation right now.

I have Toast DVD, the version thats for sale in the app store right now (07/30/2017), got that yesterday.

I got the $15.99 Blu-Ray in app upgrade cause I hope to do this on Blu-Ray eventually.

I have the pioneer BDR-XD05s external BD capable drive.

I have a picture slide show generated with iMovie, audio built in, I "shared" it to iTunes to create an .m4v

When I try and use Toast it allows either PAL or NTSC. I know that NTSC is the format for the US (right?). Neither of these selections will produce the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders at the top level of the DVD that I'm used to seeing.

The DVD I generated with PAL played on only one DVD player I tried, out of 4. It was a Samsung blu-ray player, new in 2000. It looked great.

The DVD I generated with NTSC played on only the same DVD player as the PAL, but was really pixelated.

I gotta be missing something here, right?

As a side note, I used to do this all the time on my PC with something called Muvee Maker.

Thanks In advance for any help!!!
    Mark

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

There is no other option for dvds.

Correct.

Probably not a problem, as the dvd works, but what do you see when you double click on the dvd icon?

It's obviously a "good" dvd because it plays, albeit only on one machine. However, some DVD Players can be a bit fussy with homemade dvds. Also the brand of dvd can have an effect. I use Verbatim DVD-R discs and have never had a problem.

No idea why the NTSC dvd is pixelated though.

3. mprodan, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017

mprodan thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply! The DVD that would play was actually the one encoded for PAL. It would only play in my old Blu-Ray player, nothing else. The folder structure, at least the top level, was a series of folders, can't remember how many.

I recently purchased some new disks. Some are Staples DVD-R double layer, some are Verbatim BD-R. I also now have iDVD running on my machine, I hear that used to be the gold standard. ?? I'll be giving this all a try soon.

Should I not be expecting to see the usual VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders on a disk that I burn with Toast?

4. mprodan thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so I tried a new Staples double layer disk. This time I used the "regular" Toast DVD setting. In other words I didn't choose High definition or blu-ray.

So now this disk does have the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders I'm looking for. BUT, now it will play in all the older players, but not in y Blu-Ray player, and I've played lots of SD DVD's in that player, LOLOLOLO!!!

Always a learning process . . .

Any thoughts?

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Not really, I'm afraid. I've no experience with Toast or BluRay.

6. Macgyver1 macrumors member

Macgyver1

Not specific to your software situation, but, I've had some luck burning the disks as slow as possible(2X). Your on the right track with the -r's, also always finalize the disk.

You can search for best DVD player for burned movies and see what comes about.

7. mprodan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I am assuming that Toast is closing/finalizing the disk, I don't see that anywhere in the menu of that app.

8. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I'm pretty sure that any app making a video dvd will close/finalize it.

9. mprodan thread starter macrumors newbie

I've sorted this out. I needed to un-check any references to chapter/menu systems. Toast was trying to add chapters and my input file is one continuous video that doesn't need chapter marks. And I think the menu system was pointing to a first chapter that didnt exist. So the player would hit that loop and spit it back out.

Also I did find a .pdf on-line for my version, which to be exact its Toast DVD 3.2.

Thanks for the help!