E-mail from Steve Jobs

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by queshy, Feb 7, 2008.

1. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I e-mailed him in frustration about continually getting iPod touches with several stuck pixels. I must have seen 8 iPod touches and every single one of them had stuck pixels. I wanted to ask him if all/most of them really did have it, or if most of them don't but I just haven't found one yet. Based on my experience, it just seems far, far too common. He answered my e-mails a few hours after I sent it. This is what he wrote,

(Name removed),
    Its not technically feasible to make displays with no bad pixels in the numbers we require. The industry standard for a good display is a few bad pixels. So I'm afraid that either you're going to have to lower your standards to a more realistic level or do without an iPod touch.

All the best,
    Steve

Interesting response. I was sort of expecting him to say that, but hey, at least he answered. The current iPod touch I have has a stuck pixel and I'll just live with it. Aside from that problem it's still a great device.

2. radpanic macrumors member

Oh man, I love that dude! He is just so "matter of fact". Honestly, I just bought an iPod Touch tonight(it's charging). I really hope I don't have any dead pixels and I do sympathize with you but Steve is right, it's just something that happens.

3. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

Yeah, I agree with him. Before e-mailing him I wouldn't have accepted it, but coming from him...it makes sense because Steve Said so! haha

4. McGiord, Feb 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

How many dead pixels does it have?

There must be a standard to consider it a defective screen.
    What does the apple store people tell you?

I don't know what the standard is, but I remember my father's 23" ACD came with 1 one dead pixel they told him that if it has more than 3 they will replace it. My father still has it.
    ________
    find headshop

5. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

The one I have now has one only. The previous ones all had several. It's hard to notice on an ipt though.

The store will tell you whatever they want to avoid replacing it...I bought mine at Future Shop and they have a great return policy and are 100% understanding.

6. ViveLeLivre macrumors regular

ViveLeLivre

Jobs has been a pr*ck in every response like this that I've read. Honestly, why does he even bother? I mean a) the guy's a CEO, he has _people_ who can do this stuff for him, and b) he's not improving customer relations by telling his customers that they're living in cloud cuckoo land every time he descends from on high to answer an e-mail.

Honestly, it's a tiny little screen, not a 24" 1920x1200 display. It's not unreasonable to expect 2 out of 3 of these things to be bad-pixel-free. I haven't heard any similar complaints about the iPhones which use a different panel.

7. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

Actually, lots of iPhones suffer from the problem, but the iPod touch seems to be more affected.

Also, im pretty sure there are way more pixels on the 24" than on the iPod touch. Therefore the odds of having one on a 24" should be much higher...but they're not.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Meh, I like it. He's telling the truth, not sugar coating an answer. If he were sarcastic or rude in his responses than sure, he's a prick but he's just telling the truth - stark though it may be.

9. ViveLeLivre macrumors regular

ViveLeLivre

Nah, it's the tone. I've never cared for it. When you're in charge of arguably the coolest corporation on the planet, I suppose you can get away with it, but it definitely grates on me.

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have bought two iPhones in the last few weeks and neither one has a single stuck or dead pixel. My original iPhone got exchanged a month ago and it too has not one stuck or dead pixel. That makes three I own now. Screens without them do exist or maybe I've just been very lucky but I doubt it.

11. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Has anyone ever 'massaged' away a stuck pixel?

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I was able to do that once on a laptop screen. The pixel was fine after that. That was the first and only time I ever had a stuck pixel. Never had a dead pixel either.

13. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Do you really need three iPhones?

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I need two. I ended up with three because I wanted the 16GB iPhone. The extra 8GB is now a nice shiney 3 week old iPod Touch.

15. ageha macrumors regular

It's such a tiny lowrez screen, it really shouldn't have any stuck pixels for that price!

16. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

Just so you know i don't think this letter reqlly comes from steve jobs, he probably has a secretary doing this for him.

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Bollocks to that. You're paying good money for the device, it should be flawless and that's the end of it.

The fact that some of you have commented that you now find this acceptable just because your mate Steve told you so is mind boggling. :rolleyes:

18. ageha macrumors regular

I think the student who answered you missed the tone by telling you, you have to lower your standards.

19. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

No I don't think so, I would believe you if this was big business...Apple is huge but realistically not big like Microsoft. Bill Gates would certainly not respond to a customer email.

Steve must get a lot of emails in a day, but I think he does check and send responses from time to time. Perhaps there is a filtering system or something.

20. ageha macrumors regular

You're definitely joking. :D

21. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

Seriously, Apple is big, and Steve get's alot of emails per day. he probaby only answers the ones with businnes information..
    i hope he is joking...

22. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I second this.

If your car came with a ding in the side and the head of BMW (bad example maybe but there we go) said it was to be expected, would you go 'oh actually, because he said that, I suppose it's okay'? No, you wouldn't.

Email him back and tell him you don't care for that answer, they should be flawless. See how far it gets you. :p

23. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

if you dont like it, return it and get a zune or something

24. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Then threaten to

I would love to see the cockiness of "jobs' representative" reply to that email.

(BTW, If anyone thinks that this is actually Steve replying to emails and not a secretary, you live in a very twisted world.)

25. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

Why wouldn't he? Sure, he's busy and all but he's a human like we are and certainly has time to check and reply to an email or two if he pleases. However, I'm sure he has some secretary taking care of emails but sometimes he's probably like "Hey Judy, lemme read a couple of emails" and then quickly responds to whatever he fancies. How's that not feasible?

Joshua.