Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Munkypoo7

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Hanover, MD
I’d post photos but my e13ctron story has a sad (and mostly ridiculous) ending.

-snip-

Thanks for hearing my confession.

Ouch :(

If you don't mind my asking, how exactly did you strip the screw? So far after the 10+ application / removal of my Hybrid I have yet to see any wear on the head or threads for that matter. Granted, I don't tighten them down as much as I probably should, the fear of over tightening then... well ending up having to snap the back off is / was my exact thing :\

Quick edit:

That's the case I'm going for, is the blue polished or matte? Thanks!

Looks Matte to me... I have a dark grey polished and it reflects light just as the acetyl back does, in those images it doesn't reflect the same.

eba

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2007
If you don't mind my asking, how exactly did you strip the screw? So far after the 10+ application / removal of my Hybrid I have yet to see any wear on the head or threads for that matter. Granted, I don't tighten them down as much as I probably should, the fear of over tightening then... well ending up having to snap the back off is / was my exact thing :\

The head of one of the screws apparently stripped when I screwed it in. I was conscious of not over tightening the screws for that very reason. I even ordered the hex screw driver e13ctron offers when I bought the case. But despite all that, the top of the screw was like putty and stripped. I've built several computers, so I'm not entirely inept. I was surprised how easily the head stripped. Just bad karma all around.

Munkypoo7

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Hanover, MD
The head of one of the screws apparently stripped when I screwed it in. I was conscious of not over tightening the screws for that very reason. I even ordered the hex screw driver e13ctron offers when I bought the case. But despite all that, the top of the screw was like putty and stripped. I've built several computers, so I'm not entirely inept. I was surprised how easily the head stripped. Just bad karma all around.

Dang...

I will admit though, I ordered a hex screw driver from e13ctron too and it seems the head is just a bit small, so it does seem to eat away at a tiny bit of the screw head. Though the small allen wrench they provide fits perfectly. I did contact them and they did apologize and refund me the cost of the screw driver and sent me a new set of screws, but I wouldn't have thought it was a widespread issue :\

eba

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2007
Dang...

I will admit though, I ordered a hex screw driver from e13ctron too and it seems the head is just a bit small, so it does seem to eat away at a tiny bit of the screw head. Though the small allen wrench they provide fits perfectly. I did contact them and they did apologize and refund me the cost of the screw driver and sent me a new set of screws, but I wouldn't have thought it was a widespread issue :\

I just compared the screw driver with the screws and you're right: the screw driver head is too small. The standard allen wrench that comes with the case is a perfect fit. When I looked closely at the other screws I used, all of them were stripped a bit. So it looks like the hex wrench is pretty much the perfect size to strip the heads of the screws. Not good, e13ctron!

I'll see if they'll do something for me. But my situation is a mess now. I have a mismatched case (my fault) that's now broken (their fault). Bummer.

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
I just received a case from e13ctron yesterday, ordered it Monday the 16th. It's the Verizon hybrid w black matte front. I didn't notice all too much signal drop at my house (only used wifi) but here at work I'm having a hard time getting any Internet now and it seems to be killing my battery life. I'm going to try it out for a few more days before I just give up on it and send it back. On the box it says zero signal drop w the hybrid, not really believing that.

henrylkr

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
I just received a case from e13ctron yesterday, ordered it Monday the 16th. It's the Verizon hybrid w black matte front. I didn't notice all too much signal drop at my house (only used wifi) but here at work I'm having a hard time getting any Internet now and it seems to be killing my battery life. I'm going to try it out for a few more days before I just give up on it and send it back. On the box it says zero signal drop w the hybrid, not really believing that.

A metal hybrid may still cause signal loss, but in no way will it affect the battery life. Unless it keeps switching from 3G to EDGE and vice versa, then yea it might.

A hybrid rarely does it though. Did you do a fieldtest?

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
A metal hybrid may still cause signal loss, but in no way will it affect the battery life. Unless it keeps switching from 3G to EDGE and vice versa, then yea it might.

A hybrid rarely does it though. Did you do a fieldtest?

It's been switching from 3G to O. No field test, Even w the case off sitting in the same spot signal fluctuates so I figured field test would be pointless. Seems like the signal changes like the wind around here which is why I'll try it for a few days.

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
I just "field tested" my electron case (read my above post about which case I have).

One is without the case and the other is just with the front aluminum peice including the spacer or whatever you want to call it. The pictures are taken at the very same spot in my house, the time is displayed on the bottom of the phone as well.

Is this a significant decrease or no?

Attachments

• DSC00591.JPG
    DSC00591.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC00592.JPG
    DSC00592.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 89

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
Does anyone have a pic of the Matte Red Hybrid on a Black iPhone? I have seen it a few times on the White iPhone but not the Black.

Have the order all ready to go, but would like to see a pic. I am going back and forth between the Red and the Dark Gray.

Thanks

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
So, I was still going back and forth between the Dark Gray matte and the Red matte. I did a search on ebay and low and behold there was a Dark Grey Hybrid for sale. I bought it with buy it now for $45. Then turned around and bought the top only in Red matte from e13tron.com, and with the 15% discount and shipping, I paid $35. I will now have both of the colors I wanted for $80. I can't wait for them to arrive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25097667108...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1203

AppleBoyFreak

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Kentucky
Later than expected, but here's some photos of the new finalized hybrid back.

(click any photo to enlarge):

First 3 photos show prototype hybrid back (on left) vs. final hybrid back design (on right). Notice how the polymer spacer is no longer needed on the final design, as it's been integrated into the back. Makes it MUCH sturdier.

dsc0254n.jpg

dsc0255d.jpg

dsc0256rd.jpg

dsc0257mu.jpg

dsc0259e.jpg

dsc0260h.jpg

dsc0262j.jpg

dsc0263wp.jpg

So, I'm stuck between the hybrid with a polished red front or a hybrid with this color front. Is it blue matte of polished?!

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
Sure. I'll post a pic here shortly.

Not the best pics but I think it'll help you make a choice. Let me know if you need more.

What back is this?

----------

Finally got mine today & very excited about the case. Definitely worth my 2.5 weeks wait. :)

Here are some photos of it, i know you people have seen this colour. But going to clarify its matte red in the photos.

My thoughts of it, case fits perfectly, no noticeable signs of loss connection with GPS, and reception (Australia with Voda carrier). The feel for the case is really nice to touch. The buttons gaps are reachable but i find the cutout rather small however its not much of an issue. Personally i don't use any headsets/ear-buds or 3rd party adapters / chargers. So no problems found there. Except i do have a mophie juice pack air, which is a hassle to get extra battery without a charger. Since i need to remove 6 screws requiring hex tool.

Other than those issues its a really really AFFORDABLE and i will recommended to everyone who wants a stylish aluminum case. Will buy again for different colours.

Is that red the polished or matte?

Thanks

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
I just got my hybrid Dark Grey Polished in the mail today. I am still waiting for the Red front in Matte before I will post some pics. Installed the Dark Grey and am LOVING it. I need to get a skin installed on the back, 2 on order, hopefully will get them tomorrow. I LOVE the feel of this case, and like that I can change it out by getting different fronts. Well made case and great company to deal with.

Boston Rhett

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2012
DC
I just got my hybrid Dark Grey Polished in the mail today. I am still waiting for the Red front in Matte before I will post some pics. Installed the Dark Grey and am LOVING it.

Definitely post pics when you get that matte red! I just got the all aluminum version with the clear top and dark gray bottom, both polished. I'm looking to get another top and bottom for a few color choices and am interested to see what the red looks like.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
Definitely post pics when you get that matte red! I just got the all aluminum version with the clear top and dark gray bottom, both polished. I'm looking to get another top and bottom for a few color choices and am interested to see what the red looks like.

I sure will, hopefully it will be there when I get home from work in a few houirs.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
I received my Matte Red top from e13ctron today. I also got my Lucky Labs CF back 2 days ago. I received my Hybrid Dark Gray polished last week, and can change it up the the Matte Red whenever I feel the urge

gray1.jpg

gray2.jpg

back1.jpg

red2.jpg

red1.jpg

this providence

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
Hello all, new here, have a quick question on how to decide what my order should be. I do plan to get the Hybrid so I will be going with the Black back portion.

What front portion of the case would match up best with the black finish of the "plastic" piece? The matte black or the polished black?

Just trying to get a feel for the finish of the Acetal layer and what black option would match up the best. Thanks in advance! :D

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
In my pics above I have the Polished Dark Grey and the Matte Red. They both look great with the Hybrid Black Back. Right now I am using the Matte Red, and with the black screws it is a great combination.

this providence

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
In my pics above I have the Polished Dark Grey and the Matte Red. They both look great with the Hybrid Black Back. Right now I am using the Matte Red, and with the black screws it is a great combination.

Yes, I do like the looks of yours (really like that matte red, wish they had more colors for the Hybrid portion of the case). For me, I'm just not sure how long I'll be able to go with alternating colors.

I'm just interested to see what black finish (matte or polished) matches up best with the black Acetal layer. I'd like to have one uniform color. I'm a bit weird like that...

-y0-

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2011
Just ordered the e13ctron matte black to go with a mas design matte carbon fiber back and PS anti-glare shield for my future 4S. Should look pretty nice once I put it all together. :D

Just hope they don't kill my reception too bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.