Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikebook pro

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
what a lame macbook pro update.

the coolest thing is LED's on the 17 inch but thats no where near enough to make me sell my current MBP to upgrade.

the day the make the MBP with a magnetic closure will be that day!

Mondays

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Illinois
I agree the upgrade isnt nearly what I wanted it to be
and we see hardly any of the desired changes

but I've been waiting for about 4 months
so I'm going to get this

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
Errm... wow? Is that what the new MBP is supposed to make us say? Well, I do miss having 250GB standard though... My 250 came as BTO... but mine has 4GB RAM and clocks at 2.6GHz, so I'm good.

timimbo85

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Chicago
i don't care what any of you say. I'm getting it. I am actually saving more money with the new updates then I was gonna get with the refurb and also get a bigger HD. Finally some closure

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
Hey hey. Calm down, mate. We're not saying it's crap. It's just that the new model has been hyped up so much, that people were expecting huge changes. however, it's clear some were disappointed. Really, we can't blame Apple. Had it not been for the rumors, then people wouldn't be disappointed, but happy. Personally, (note: PERSONALLY) I feel that I can still survive on my MacBook Pro, which still seems to be the the top spec you can get, asides from the multitouch. But I can't warrant another purchase simply for the multitouch. This thing has only been with me for around 4 months. Heck, not everybody can buy a new lappy every 5/6 months. Personally, I LOVE the fact that if people see my MBP, they can still think that it's a new one :p. If they ask why mine doesn't do Multitouch I'll just say I disabled it.

Edit: Okay, okay, I'll admit, there's one thing I do miss: 512MB VRAM.

Mondays

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Illinois
While I admit that the updates aren't close to what I was hoping
I bought one just a few minutes ago
I doubt that there will be another update soon
and if there is
oh well
the way computers update it's impossible for one to stay new for very long
Student discount = win
I'm very happy

and my friend just bought my alienware laptop this morning for 800 dollars, which I payed around 1500 for 2 years ago, and my parents want to buy the Mac I'm on now, which is about 3 years old, for like 200-300 dollars, so I'm only spending about 600 dollars when it's all said and done

Now the most painful wait starts

Estimate Arrival Date: Feb 29 - March 6

Russet

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
Bali
I don't understand you lot. This MBP update has everything we have talked about.

Penryn chip, LED display, multitouch pad, large hardrive, new video card, even a magnetic latch and non glossy screen.

What more could we ask for.

This is the machine we have been waiting for and now they have delivered.

Thank you Apple.

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
Sorry to steal your thunder mate, but correction: No magnetic latch, no new keyboard. the only update is in HDD, processor, VRAM. That's it. Oh, and multitouch.

Mondays

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Illinois
Sorry to steal your thunder mate, but correction: No magnetic latch, no new keyboard. the only update is in HDD, processor. VRAM. That's it.

Yeah I didnt see magnetic latch, unless they didn't announce it
I'll know in 3-6 days though ;]

also
was there a new video card?
did they bump all of them up to 256 8600s?

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
No magnetic latch for sure, mate. Just the same apparatus as the current MBPs. Magnets that pull on "claws" from the top half, and that then closes the lid. Base model, used to be 128MB VRAM, now 256. mid, and 17" models, used to be 256, now 512.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.