Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
I'm not sure why the battery needs servicing after about 1 yr of use. I take good care of my stuff and yet have never had any battery issues. Not even on my iPhone or iPad. But for this to happen so early on a laptop leaves me confused as to why this happens? What would cause this? I'm extremely upset at Apple. I thought they had higher standards than this. I'm wondering if anyone else has this or a similar issue in any of their laptops.

When I unplug my laptop to use it, it won't even hold a charge and turn off after like 1-2 minutes of use. Sigh.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
I'm not sure why the battery needs servicing after about 1 yr of use. I take good care of my stuff and yet have never had any battery issues. Not even on my iPhone or iPad. But for this to happen so early on a laptop leaves me confused as to why this happens? What would cause this? I'm extremely upset at Apple. I thought they had higher standards than this. I'm wondering if anyone else has this or a similar issue in any of their laptops.

When I unplug my laptop to use it, it won't even hold a charge and turn off after like 1-2 minutes of use. Sigh.

I had the same problem with my 2015 12 months into owning it. Sadly, it seems that this first generation of design of batteries do indeed have problems.
Mine developed CPU (or something) problems and in the end I got it replaced under AppleCare with a 2016 model which I replaced with the new 2017 model last year.
My advice with these expensive, beautiful but slightly delicate / high maintenance device is BUY APPLECARE. Yes it's an insult that you spend a fortune on a laptop and then have to pay £200+ for a guarantee / warranty but it's worth it. I'm not convinced that the Macs of today are as well built / reliable / good as Macs of a decade ago even though their prices are double!

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Sigh, yes its such a shame. I'm very skeptical about investing my money into any other future mac laptops or computers now. For the expensive price that they charge you would hope that these machines would last a reasonable amount of time.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
It’s possible the battery is actually “faulty”. It happens with stuff sometimes, things go wrong.

For this reason Apple has provided you with what they refer to as a “warranty” which means that under a limited set of conditions Apple may allow you to use this “warranty” to replace “faulty” components.

Best bet is to take it into an Apple store, or call Apple.

burpootus

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2015

My early 2016 Macbook threw a Service Battery warning at 17 months and 161 cycle counts. Genius Bar said I needed a $199 battery replacement, out of warranty. I say I need to not buy any more Apple products.

Reactions: 212rikanmofo

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
I agree, absolutely ridiculous. Battery didn't even last me a year. It decided to crap out right after the warranty expired. You're paying a premium for Apple products and then these sort of things happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.