Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_air?mco=MjMzOTQwMDA

You can call them or chat right there, there will be a number and a link like this:

Call 1-800-MY-APPLE or chat online.

I saw on the apple support forum someone called and verified it at the source. They do NOT support hyperthreading or turbo boost because "macbook air is supposed to be an entry level notebook". sounds pretty lame

It's pretty obvious just from the benchmark figures alone that the Air does support turbo boost and hyperthreading. Both of these factors combined are required to explain the 2.5x jump in benchmark numbers. Architectural improvements affecting instructions per clock do matter, but not on that order of magnitude when we're comparing two aggressively speculative out of order super scalar processors (Core 2 Duo and Core i5-i7).

Last edited:

ronin510

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2006
Clock speed admittedly is not everything. But you made an incorrect statement regarding fabrication size. The smaller fabrication size is what allows them to speed up the clock. By making the transistor smaller, it takes less time to change states, and thus can be effectively clocked at a higher frequency. The information does not travel across transistors however; the transistors are the information, the CPU clock sets how fast the information changes, the system bus determines how fast the information moves. The way they improve the architecture without increasing the frequency of the the CPU is by either adding specialized hardware or increasing the speed of the bus.

It's true that smaller fabrication size gives faster clock rate. The problem is more heat accompanies the faster clock. The smaller package size means less area for heat to dissipate. That's why you'll find CPUs such as this ultra-low power i5 with a slower clock.

It was a simple analogy with the race length and IC size, but I still stand behind the argument that the signal itself does benefit from smaller IC size. Smaller transistor size corresponds to a linear reduction of transistor delay. Wires traverse shorter distances -- while the wires are narrower and resistance increases, the shorter distance currently outweighs the added resistance.

Where you are wrong again, is that the MBA does not support turbo boost or hyperthreading. See the above post, or call apple yourself (1-800-MY-APPLE) and ask. yes, at first they give you a sales person who says something lame. ask to speak to a tech and they will tell you that it is not supported. :D

Two reviewers who have actual units have already said the MacBook Airs have both HyperThreading and Turbo Boost (Jason Snell from Macworld and Anand Lal Shimpi from Anandtech). Their source? The review units and information passed along to them when Apple gave them those review units.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
They can't, Geekbench is of limited usefulness.

I wonder if other benchmarks can reproduce this or if it is an artificial result. It seems hard to believe this year's 1.7 GHz processor can outperform last year's 2.7 GHz processor

Clock for clock we should be 20% faster. That however is processor performance. Geekbench Benefits greatly from the SSD, this is not a bad thing because many user programs do too. However these numbers do not represent CPU bound performance where we should see a substantial difference. The most interesting thing here is the comparison to the old AIRs.

What I suspect is that fewer will be complaining about CPU performance on these machines. If you have software performance issues I wouldn't go out and buy one of these AIRs until more testing is done. However if you are running almost any older laptop these new machines are very inviting.

On top of all of that these machines are running Lion. Now I've only played with Lion for a couple of hours now but my impression is that there has been considerable improvements in speed. At least on my old 2008 MBP. You really need to take the OS out of the equation. By the way take these comments with a grain of salt, like I've said it's only been a couple of hours and most of that time was spent updating

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
Clock for clock we should be 20% faster. That however is processor performance. Geekbench Benefits greatly from the SSD

Geekbench does not in any way use or measure hard drive performance. Geekbench results are not changed by installing an SSD.

this is not a bad thing because many user programs do too. However these numbers do not represent CPU bound performance where we should see a substantial difference.

Actually the Geekbench numbers very closely represent CPU bound performance in a heavily threaded scenario.

Last edited:

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Completely defeats the purpose. Thin only "counts" if it's a small footprint. ;)

The WHOLE THING has to be small.

Finally someone with the sense to understand that.

The MBA is easily Apple's biggest gimmick product to date and it serves no real purpose or practical uses. It's a completely unnecessary product.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011

The MBA is easily Apple's biggest gimmick product to date and it serves no real purpose or practical uses. It's a completely unnecessary product.

How is it a gimmick? Please explain. I find for general everyday tasks and light content creation (ie: MS Office, iLife, etc.) the MBA is a pleasure to use.

CP1091

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2007
This makes me want the 13 inch more... but I still can't decide if I want the smaller footprint, since I don't need the power.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
How is it a gimmick? Please explain. I find for general everyday tasks and light content creation (ie: MS Office, iLife, etc.) the MBA is a pleasure to use.

It's a gimmick because there is nothing practical about it when there are the MacBook Pro's and they are also due for an update in the next couple months. Lets compare these numbers again with the new MBP when the time comes.

If thinner and lighter but less powerful is something you want then go for it. How long can you and your friends admire how thin something is? I admire computers that give me the best performance possible by using the fastest parts available. The MBA has to sacrifice a lot of that to keep it's gimmick thinness. Fact.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Huh NO, TDP is about design power

and intel design specification says it can turbo boost and stay within 17watts.
They can actually draw more power.
unless Apple says otherwise, the CPUs has Turbo Boost.
I'm sure it does but that doesn't mean it is enabled.
the 2010 MBA 13" had 25 watts TDP CPUs, the newer one has 17 watts TDP.
Don't forget the additional logic for TB.
I am 100% sure it just the typo in the website.

there is no way without the turbo boost the newer 2011 MBA CPUs beat the hell of 2010 MBA CPUs.
Sure their is.
  1. You are getting something close to a 50% boost in performance clock for clock.
  2. Sandy Bridge implements some new technology or instructions which can speed up some apps significantly.
  3. The new AIRs run Lion, which seems to be much faster. At least I'm getting interesting behavior out of my old 2008 MBP.
  4. The GPU in Sandy Bridge may suck in some respects but it does 2D really well.
  5. You can't judge a machine based on one benchmark. Especially when that benchmark exploits the machines advantages.
wait till the site updated.

If performance is a serious issue for you wait for more credible bench marks. Especially benchmarks that target your usage. Benchmarks are statistics and statistics are often lies or very misleading.

My impression right now is that several things have come together to give use very good performance on the new machines.

SirHaakon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
So what's the deal with the benchmarks on these MBAs being off the charts? I was under the impression that moving to Sandy Bridge would decimate the graphics performance as they'd be force to use an integrated solution.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Two reviewers who have actual units have already said the MacBook Airs have both HyperThreading and Turbo Boost (Jason Snell from Macworld and Anand Lal Shimpi from Anandtech). Their source? The review units and information passed along to them when Apple gave them those review units.
I gotta say, without official word from Apple (or a 2011 MBA of my own to test with) those are probably the two sources I would trust most to ferret out the facts.

:)

I think you are confusing your needs with the needs of everyone. :p

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Warped sense of reality.

It's a gimmick because there is nothing practical about it when there are the MacBook Pro's and they are also due for an update in the next couple months. Lets compare these numbers again with the new MBP when the time comes.
By that time the new AIR owners won't care! Why because of the pleasure they get from using the machine.
If thinner and lighter but less powerful is something you want then go for it. How long can you and your friends admire how thin something is? I admire computers that give me the best performance possible by using the fastest parts available. The MBA has to sacrifice a lot of that to keep it's gimmick thinness. Fact.
All right I have to call BS on this one! If what you say actually represents your thinking you would not even bother with a laptop thread.

So what does AIR sacrifice that makes it such a terrible machine? Let me answer that for you: nothing. For most users it has everything they need.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011

Some people like the thinnest laptop around, Fact.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
By that time the new AIR owners won't care! Why because of the pleasure they get from using the machine.

All right I have to call BS on this one! If what you say actually represents your thinking you would not even bother with a laptop thread.

So what does AIR sacrifice that makes it such a terrible machine? Let me answer that for you: nothing. For most users it has everything they need.

This from a guy that wrote "Geekbench Benefits greatly from the SSD". Massive fail on that statement.

You are obviously one who is swayed by pretty over practical so lets just leave it at that.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
So what's the deal with the benchmarks on these MBAs being off the charts? I was under the impression that moving to Sandy Bridge would decimate the graphics performance as they'd be force to use an integrated solution.
The HD 3000 graphics are slower than the 320M, but the specific H.264 encode/decode hardware and the significantly faster iCore CPU will more than make up for that in a many cases.

It'll be interesting to see how all the gaming benchmarks come in when people really start getting their hands on these. Something to tax the GPU in a way that the H.264 acceleration can't mask.

Last edited:

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
It isn't that simple.

First off the benchmark sucks. Second never judge a machine via one benchmark.

As to Sandy Bridge the GPU is a mixed bag. It is actually a faster 2D performer but falls on it's face as graphics become more and more demanding 3D wise.

The CPU is about 50% faster for general instructions but it also implements some really interesting new instructions. Instructions which can significantly speed up some operations.

Lion appears to have generally sped up many things. So by running Lion they have an advantage there.

if you look at what AMD is doing with CPU & GPU integration you will see there are some huge advantages to having that GPU on die. Now I believe Intel is a little behind here but still there is an advantage to keeping the GPU close by.

Finally don't make the fatal error of believing everything you read!

milesdavis

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2007

You are completely wrong. I have the last MBA Ultimate 13" In and my job is design + film + production. I use it for everything from Photoshop to FCP. While it is obviously not a powerhouse when it comes to FCP it is adequate for the type of situation in which I would use a laptop. Nobody has actually ever admired or commented on my MBA -- it's not that big of a deal and is certainly not a status symbol or personal show piece.

This is a ridiculous attitude you have that somehow the MBA is a gimmick because it is thin and it has no merit. If it's not powerful enough for you then why don't you go back in time and pick up an Alienware unit?

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
Not entirely surprising, considering how aggressive the Turbo Boost is.

Everyone should keep in mind that Ivy Bridge is next year. This is when we should see a quad-core MacBook Air (and Mac Mini), and 8-core iMacs. Additionally, there will also be the move to 22nm fabrication processes in addition to 3D transistors, which should be comparable to a fabrication shrink itself.

If you think this year was a big boost, wait until you see what Intel has in store for next year.

I can't imagine such speed with the new MBA, much less where it will be a year from now! I'm sitting here with a late 2006 MBP that barely qualifies to be upgraded to Lion. I feel like I'm toodling along in a crank-start tin lizzy on a San Francisco interstate.

dbam987

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2007
I'm most excited for the MBP (IB) refresh. Standard Quad Core (3D Transistors look fantastic), new gen of AMD mGPUs, no ODD and .75 inch body, standard SSD...and most of all, the much needed resolution bump. 1280x800 on the 13" MBP is a total joke. I can't believe Apple got away with that one.

Indeed the rez on the MBP13 is too low considering the MBA is higher. Wonder what apple was thinking on the one. Next year I may make the jump to a new Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.