Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

*Calypso*

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2011
Germany
Right, that is obviously the PURPOSE of HDMI, but why introduce it now on a device that will Airplay Mirror everything? I mean I would take a third thunderbolt port, Firewire, or Mini DVI instead of HDMI. Seems kind of limiting, plus all the Airplay support coming...

So you suggest that people rather spend another $99 on an Apple TV instead of $5 on an HDMI cable? Maybe you should apply at :apple:, you seem to have great ideas on how to make even more profit with a $2199 device.

IanGahagan

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Montana
ordered

I just broke down and bought one with the 2.6ghz processor, I think a made a good move being a graphic design student. I hope the year and a half of saving pays off for it being my first Mac. :) so stoked.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
Can someone please explain the HDMI out? To me it makes almost no sense.

Edit: Because there are crap tons of morons on this site, why would Apple introduce HDMI on this macbook? Obviously it connects to TV's, I know 3 year olds who could have come up with a more clever response. Why HDMI and not Firewire or Mini DVI, is using an adapter too complicated now?

because people need to connect their machines to LCD TV's/projectors which most meeting/conference rooms have now. I've always had to bring my own displayport to hdmi adapters to work in the past.

people complain and stomp their feet about apple not support hdmi, as soon as they do someone says it makes no sense. As for your question about FW, I think the height of the FW port is what made them drop it just like they did with the ethernet port, it would force them to increase the thickness.

on a side note, I'm real happy they finally decided to drop the opticalbay. Now what to do with my 2011 17" MBP

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
It may be retina, but isn't it still a 1440x900 workspace?

Right: UI elements will be sized as for a conventional 1440x900 screen, but will be sharper.

However, I think we will effectively get more workspace when viewing scaleable content (video, web pages, office/iwork docs, etc.) because in a lot of cases it will feel comfortable and look good making these things smaller.

I'd guess it depends on your eyesight. I suppose some people might get little/no benefit from a Retina display.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
I know right?!

wait... no more 17 inch MBP??? :eek:

I AM SUPER SUPER HAPPY for this New 15" Retina MBP!!!!!!

I am super super sad to not see the 17" in the family on the store anymore!!

I wonder if I can put in the order now for the highest end 15" Retina MBP and explore with it for a short time and 'IF' just 'if' the 17" is just waiting to come back into the lime light, then I can exchange it at the store?????????????? Pay the difference????????????? Store credit??????????????

*Shrugs*

SO HAPPY thank you APPLE - wow simply amazing.

Okay, I don't know about the air pulling vents, hmmm, might make harmonica sounds or whistling noises once it collects enough dust and pet hair no??????????????? Looking like a nightmare to clean out???????????

I DON'T like the look of the hinge for the screen direct on or from the side, not clean - flush look, something jars my view..

bartzumbari

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
The processor on the $2799 model is also faster... but I agree to me the $2199 one is the much better value. The big question I want to know, is the flash drive user upgradeable and also the memory?

Memory is definitely not upgradeable--the comparison table at Apple says the RAM is "on board". No idea about the flash--probably is upgradeable if you follow an iFixit guide.

Bart

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Right but won't all the window elements still take up more space then my current high res mbp? I really want one of these I just don't want to loose a bunch of work space.
Yes, they will but menubar and other chrome only take up a small part (maybe 20%) of the screen height (unless you have all toolbars turned on in Word).

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Can someone please explain the HDMI out? To me it makes almost no sense.

Edit: Because there are crap tons of morons on this site, why would Apple introduce HDMI on this macbook? Obviously it connects to TV's, I know 3 year olds who could have come up with a more clever response. Why HDMI and not Firewire or Mini DVI, is using an adapter too complicated now?

Cause it worked for the Mac Mini, and because HDMI is becoming a quite common interface with Computer monitor screens. A client of mine just bought a Samsung LCD with HDMI and VGA only, and while this is not my cup of tea, it is what it is.

mitchleeh

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
Memory is definitely not upgradeable--the comparison table at Apple says the RAM is "on board". No idea about the flash--probably is upgradeable if you follow an iFixit guide.

Bart

I think SSD will be comparable to MacBook Air - you can upgrade it, but only OWC offers the upgrade and it's not cheap. RAM is soldered on.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
It has two GPUs. One Intel HD4000 and one 650M.

From the specs:

Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, at millions of colors

Which means you can have up to three displays running at a time, including the one on the notebook. So absolutely maxed out you could have the 2880x1800 display, a 2560x1600 display, and another 2560x1600 display all running simultaneously as one large desktop or mirrored.

I'm not talking about the current 15" model, I'm replying to a comment about a hypothetical 13" Retina MacBook Pro.

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
So you suggest that people rather spend another $99 on an Apple TV instead of $5 on an HDMI cable? Maybe you should apply at :apple:, you seem to have great ideas on how to make even more profit with a $2199 device.

Yeah, I would. Unlike those that complain about no HDMI support, I complain about too many wires. We should be charging/sending/connecting completely wireless now. HDMI is not a bad solution, but very weird to introduce legacy tech on a completely forward thinking and revolutionary notebook.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
i always LOL at people taking pics with their iPad like that, it looks hilarious.

enhanced-buzz-10651-1332703245-54.jpg

dwarnecke11

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2009
That screen, that processor, that SSD... pure computing nirvana.

I really wish I needed this ...but my 2010 iMac is just too good. It doesn't feel a day old!

bartzumbari

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
More ports? The retina has an an additional USB 3 port, an additional TB port and the HDMI port. It lacks FW800, Ethernet, and audio in. I call that a draw.

The pictures on the Apple website only show two USB3 ports--same as the non-retina MBP. It's not a draw, but it'll break one way or the other depending on the individual. I never need HDMI, but I daily need ethernet and firewire 800. I can see how others would like HDMI.

Bart

samuelelbaz

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2011
Are these on display at stores yet do they do that the same day also, so you can actually see it in person before you order it?

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Glorified, overpriced 15" Macbook Air with 1YR warranty on all parts, including the RAM and SSD since its non-upgradeable. Retina screen is junk with a 1440 display. Its not a pro and glad they removed that (if its true). This is a disappointment to anyone actually paying attention. ALOT to give up to gain 3/16 of an inch in thinness.

fxtech

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
Already have my order in! Doesn't ship for 5-7 days though :(

I know this thing will change your life completely and all, but don't forget to eat and sleep! It can't replace those yet, especially before it arrives.

Kimbie

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2010
UK
With all the prattling on about the HDMI port, will the TB ports not act as display ports?

Only ask is if you configure the retina MBP one of the cables you can add is Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter right under the Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Kimbie

fxtech

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
Yes, apple will find a way. Then sell us an adapter for 29 bucks. And we will love it.

I personally won't be happy until I end up slicing a finger off each time I pick up my laptop. That's probably why they're adding Siri to everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.