Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
I don't speak a word of Polish. The next generation iPhone is likely to get almost everything that most HTC smart phones in this category already have. Did I miss something?

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Not quite multitasking

Multitasking has as much to do with the GUI for switching as what happens when you switch. What the video demonstrates (my thanks to the person who posted it), is application switching. The apps appear to quit and save state then reopen when invoked as before. You're simply not returning to the full homescreen to open another app in between. I suppose if the state saving and reopening was infinitely fast it wouldn't matter, but that accomplishment would have necessitated a press conference in itself.
If the apps you plan to switch between can't or don't make use of one of those 7 supposed multitasking APIs, all Apple has provided is a new task switcher.

If you want real multitasking, well, actually, I won't bang the jailbreaking drum anymore than my signature already does...

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
I don't speak a word of Polish. The next generation iPhone is likely to get almost everything that most HTC smart phones in this category already have. Did I miss something?

Yeah, the iPhone doesn't suck. :)

I'm far more interested in usability than a check list of features that are there but poorly implemented.

chainprayer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Hiya! I'm new to the iPhone dev subscription package. If I'm active can I download the 4.0 os to my phone? Thanks!

j2004p

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Don't you think it's pathetic it took all the way to 2010 to offer a flash for a camera, when even the most basic of "smart phones" have been doing it for over a decade now?

Please can you find a phone from a decade ago that had a camera, let alone a flash and you can be removed from my plebe list.

interconnect

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
Don't you think it's pathetic it took all the way to 2010 to offer a flash for a camera, when even the most basic of "smart phones" have been doing it for over a decade now?
who cares. the flashes in camera phones suck. i've never seen one that actually helped the picture.

plusonechoi

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
San Francisco
who cares. the flashes in camera phones suck. i've never seen one that actually helped the picture.

completely agree with this. my 3.2 megapixel camera with flash on my BB has never taken a good picture. all the iphone pics i have seen come out 10x better! please dont say itll help night time pics either, i dont even know why people bother trying to take pics at night with ANY phone, it just wont look good.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Very cool. Soon we will have the option of a variety of several physical devices from a nanoiPod to iPod/iPhone to iPad to iMac. Each could be connected to an external display, wired or wireless keyboard, mouse (yes, mouse), hard drives, etc. The whole thing becomes a system that is integrated across multiple devices sharing processing power. You have the option of a central computer, say an iMac, in your business or home and all the other devices become independent windows to its processing power and sharing backup data.

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
Multitasking has as much to do with the GUI for switching as what happens when you switch. What the video demonstrates (my thanks to the person who posted it), is application switching. The apps appear to quit and save state then reopen when invoked as before. You're simply not returning to the full homescreen to open another app in between. I suppose if the state saving and reopening was infinitely fast it wouldn't matter, but that accomplishment would have necessitated a press conference in itself.
If the apps you plan to switch between can't or don't make use of one of those 7 supposed multitasking APIs, all Apple has provided is a new task switcher.

If you want real multitasking, well, actually, I won't bang the jailbreaking drum anymore than my signature already does...

Uhhh... I can't think of a single reason why Apple's implementation of multitasking won't work perfectly for 99.9% of people. It does background music, GPS, etc. I mean, I am not trying to render a 3D model on my device here. Plus, app switching will be incredibly fast on a 3GS, iPad, and new devices.

I just don't understand your complaint AT ALL. The "true multitasking" arguments that many people have just don't use any consumer-based logic. They are 100% geek and technical arguments that don't matter to real-world people.

E

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
The journalist misunderstood the multicore concept...

Hang on... so they thought iPhone, rather than the iPad should be the first to receive multi-core?!

It is true that Grand Central Dispatch can leverage multiple CPU cores, but the PRIMARY use of it is to leverage the much more plentiful *GPU cores*, which are already present on both the iPhone and the iPad.

Just as an example, I have the lowest end GPU supported by GCD in my MBP - an 8600GT. But it's 32 wimpy cores have twice the net GCD performance of the 16 SIMD lanes on my Core2Duo.

That's what's so wonderful about these new technologies - they make SIMD multicore programming and GPU programming hte same.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
So doesn't that video show that you close apps from the list of running apps by clicking the little minus sign?

Doesn't that conflict with the Q&A?

"Q: How do you close apps when multitasking? A: You don't have to. Jobs says that if you see task manager, you blew it. Users shouldn't have to think about it."

eugeneVD

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2009
completely agree with this. my 3.2 megapixel camera with flash on my BB has never taken a good picture. all the iphone pics i have seen come out 10x better! please dont say itll help night time pics either, i dont even know why people bother trying to take pics at night with ANY phone, it just wont look good.

i don't even use the built-in flash on my dslr. :rolleyes:

i like the os changes. i hope it comes to verizon, but doubt it.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
So doesn't that video show that you close apps from the list of running apps by clicking the little minus sign?

"Q: How do you close apps when multitasking? A: You don't have to. Jobs says that if you see task manager, you blew it. Users shouldn't have to think about it."
I guess Apple blew it.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
kinda bleh .... i wanted some nice widgets and a new notification system ... the lockscreen is soooooo huge and could be used for so much more.

ive been able to do most of those "new features" since 2.0 on my JB iPhone as well

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Folders are going to be great have been looking forward to this ability for awhile. Don't see myself using multitasking much but you never know until you start using it I guess.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
Maybe "you don't have to" close the Apps, but you can. What sucks about closing the Apps is that you have to hold each one. At least allow us to close them all quickly if we wanted to.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Jeebus, that wallpapered screen is ugly.

As is the Ipad desktop, with its disproportionate icons and unused real estate.

Is Apple's B team of designers making the major UI decisions now?

Empty space is beautiful. Typographers and designers call it "whitespace", where there is nothing. There needs to be a balance. It's very Zen-like.

This is the problem with a lot of websites. Everything crammed together. Nowhere to rest the eyes.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008

It does... So Jobs thinks they themselves blew it. Back track on this Jobs... :rolleyes::D:D

EDIT: Regardless off the "quit" feature, what Jobs said makes no sense. Wanted or not, the thinggy that replaces the normal dock is task manager.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Yeah, the iPhone doesn't suck. :)

I'm far more interested in usability than a check list of features that are there but poorly implemented.

Yep, it already has real apps, by real developers that users actually want to buy and use. When the HTC gets that, come back and troll some more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.