Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Oh, I just found this thread today. Thanks guys to make this happen! ?
Core(2)Duo is quite a reasonable official limitation (even if I would have rather seen 2012 as the limiting date) - but I strongly believe no one with questions about a later Legacy Mac (beyond C2Duo) will receive stupid answers ...

Last edited:
Reactions: RogerWilco6502

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
By the way, it would seem to me that the forum icon on the main page is broken now, it's just not there. Not sure if this is the case for anyone else but it's been missing for a few days.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I personally don't see the need to discriminate between "intel" and "early" intel.

Unless you mean non-64 bit capable intel machines, but as far as I'm concerned, that's such a niche. I think just an "intel" subsection like PPC would cover it? It's not like there's a massive architectural change through the entire intel lineup, other than that brief 32 bit only edge case.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I personally don't see the need to discriminate between "intel" and "early" intel.

Unless you mean non-64 bit capable intel machines, but as far as I'm concerned, that's such a niche. I think just an "intel" subsection like PPC would cover it? It's not like there's a massive architectural change through the entire intel lineup, other than that brief 32 bit only edge case.
I think the cut-off being used is the switch from core duo/ core 2 duo to core i5/ i7, around 2011. For the time being arguably the 2012 (retina) and onwards MacBook Pros and 2010- MacBook Airs and 2015-2017 MacBooks have more in common with the M1 macs than with the earlier models in terms of slimline builds, limited upgradability and recent/ current official support (the latter in particular making early Intels hobbyist machines more than mainstream ones).

Eventually I guess all Intel machines will reach that stage at which point making an all Intel forum would make sense, but that's still a long way off, so while many later Intel machines are still in daily mainstream use it probably does make sense to have a dedicated hobbyist section for the early Intel, and just discussing later Intel models on the Mac forums at large.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Indeed. I have 2011 and newer machines as my main machines whilst I have few early Intel Macs (2009 Mac Minis) that I use in secondary roles.

Computers may have advanced a lot but these older Macs are still very capable machines. Having said that if I could find a great deal on mid-Intel Macs I’d probably upgrade and retire my early Intel Macs. The jump from Core 2 Duo to quad core i5/i7 is a big jump in performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.