Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
You might be able to get to the CC with one swipe anyway - a swipe upwards and to the left will bring up the switcher and move over to the CC if Apple's algorithms are carefully calibrated to expect that use case and not filter it out.

That's one thing I've always hated about iOS, you can't do vertical and horizontal swipes at the same time at all. If you have the slightest angle when trying to swipe up control center, it will not come up. Android was very very good with touch input prior to Jelly bean, but they also changed their input to make it more linear and less dynamic after that. Not very intuitive, but iOS is worse with swipes.
[doublepost=1503418110][/doublepost]
The more leaks we get, the more and more I'm convinced that jailbreaking will come back bigger than ever. All these changes are going to introduce a huge headache for the average user, as they are making completely unnecessary and frustrating changes by making CC a swipe down (used to be notification shade) and then to the right (used to be camera). The swipe up for multi tasking is fine/good. But they made two huge negatives for one small positive.

Jailbreaking will stay around and introduce better implementations, and I for one can't wait to fix these iOS 11 burdens once the software is released.
[doublepost=1503418507][/doublepost]
I would suggest instead that a swipe up and hold the swipe a bit should lead direct into the control center.

The same could be done with widgets and notifications at the top.

What they really need to do is utilize 3D touch more. What happened to that? It's the easy fix to this situation rather than burying menu's in unnecessary and complicated manuevers (swipe up to lock screen, swipe right to control center?). What they could do: Swipe up for CC, 3D touch up for app switcher. Better yet, swipe right from side for app switcher, swipe up for CC (just like they have now).

The lack of serious use of 3D touch is starting to show that they are not confident in the feature whatsoever, and that it's basically no better than a long press was prior. I think they're starting to realize that people have no idea when they are able to use it, and so they are not making proper use out of it, like they should.

Apple's really been pissing me off the last few years.

Last edited:

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
That's one thing I've always hated about iOS, you can't do vertical and horizontal swipes at the same time at all. If you have the slightest angle when trying to swipe up control center, it will not come up. Android was very very good with touch input prior to Jelly bean, but they also changed their input to make it more linear and less dynamic after that. Not very intuitive, but iOS is worse with swipes.
[doublepost=1503418110][/doublepost]

While this is true on the smaller iPhone screen, I’ve noticed iPad seems to react differently to a diagonal swipe.
Simple slide up & I’m accessing CC, diagonal swipe & im “pushing” current App up into a diagonal spot on the multitasking interface.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I don't have an iOS 10 device handy, but on iOS 11 angled swipes work fine - anything up to 45° degrees will bring up the CC, anything over 45° (on the lock screen) bring up camera.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
While this is true on the smaller iPhone screen, I’ve noticed iPad seems to react differently to a diagonal swipe.
Simple slide up & I’m accessing CC, diagonal swipe & im “pushing” current App up into a diagonal spot on the multitasking interface.

I assume this is with the iOS 11 beta? I don't own an iPad (as I find it a redundant device), but it would make sense they have the input respond differently due to more drawing, multitasking/professional use intended for the device.
[doublepost=1503422088][/doublepost]
I don't have an iOS 10 device handy, but on iOS 11 angled swipes work fine - anything up to 45° degrees will bring up the CC, anything over 45° (on the lock screen) bring up camera.

This sounds like a major change. If at any point you can confirm the clear differences between iOS 10 and 11, I'd appreciate it.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
The more leaks we get, the more and more I'm convinced that jailbreaking will come back bigger than ever. All these changes are going to introduce a huge headache for the average user, as they are making completely unnecessary and frustrating changes by making CC a swipe down (used to be notification shade) and then to the right (used to be camera). The swipe up for multi tasking is fine/good. But they made two huge negatives for one small positive.

Jailbreaking will stay around and introduce better implementations, and I for one can't wait to fix these iOS 11 burdens once the software is released.
[doublepost=1503418507][/doublepost]
What are you referring to? They haven't changed how you access CC in the final version of iOS 11. Unless they make it like this for the unreleased iPhone.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I assume this is with the iOS 11 beta? I don't own an iPad (as I find it a redundant device), but it would make sense they have the input respond differently due to more drawing, multitasking/professional use intended for the device.
[doublepost=1503422088][/doublepost]

This sounds like a major change. If at any point you can confirm the clear differences between iOS 10 and 11, I'd appreciate it.
Works the same way on my iOS 10 iPad. Maybe they changed it in 10 and you didn't notice?

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
The app switch gesture already existed in a jailbreak app called Auxo.

I have used it since it came out, and it was the only reason why I used jailbreak.
If the concept from Apple also thought of it, I will be grateful if they added in for final release.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Works the same way on my iOS 10 iPad. Maybe they changed it in 10 and you didn't notice?

Could be a difference between iPhone and iPad then.
[doublepost=1503455102][/doublepost]
What are you referring to? They haven't changed how you access CC in the final version of iOS 11. Unless they make it like this for the unreleased iPhone.

Maybe this is for the iPhone 8 only, not sure. Seems weird though

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
I don't think anyone is implying that. It would be a iPhone Pro exclusive, most likely. Similar to dark mode.

But 3D Touch to open the app switcher has been completely removed from older phones, of its an iPhone 8 feature, why did they kill it for older phones?

Reactions: dcp10

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Dragging from below to zoom out the iOS space and reveal recent apps makes so much sense spatially and is far more elegant than double clicking the Home button.

Once I used it on my iPad with iOS 11, I really miss it on my iPhone.

To bring it to iPhone without losing the easy one swipe access to Control Centre, they could do the same gestures as on the iPad:

- Swipe from below to zoom out and reveal recent apps.

- Continue swiping up to centre the view on Control Centre.

Alternatively, it would make sense to swipe up and then to the right in one single action to zoom out the space and then centre the view on Control Centre.

Whichever the case, I really hope that this makes it to the final shipping version.

Reactions: dcp10

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Not a chance. We are on the home stretch of betas. No big changes like that is coming.

Not necessarily. We haven’t seen the next iPhone yet. This makes sense for an iPhone without a home button. There are plenty of precedents for iOS features revealed at the last moment for a newly announced iPhone. Touch ID, Live Photos, 3D Touch, Portrait Mode were all features that weren’t in betas and only appeared in the GM after the new iPhones went on sale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.