Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The early iPad reviews are in from those seeded with pre-release units from Apple. The general conclusion seems to be very positive but with the well known limitations (no Flash, no USB, etc...). Apps are to be a big differentiator for the iPad and an early list of iPad apps are available on AppShopper.

David Pogue / New York Times

Pogue attacks the iPad from two different perspectives: techie and "everyone else". If you're a techie, Pogue says that a laptop will do more for less money. But, if you like the concept of the iPad, "you'll love the machine". Pogue did test the iPad's battery life and found it could play movies continuously for over 12 hours.

Walt Mossbery / All Things D

- "a whole new type of computer"
- Mossberg found the iPad a "pleasure to use" and had less and less interest in using his laptop the longer he used it, reserving their use for writing/editing longer documents or watching Flash-requiring web videos.
- Impressed by the battery life which was longer than Apple's 10 hour claim.
- No trouble with the on screen keyboard.
- Pages is a "serious" content creation app but only exports to Word and not always accurately.

Edward Baig / USA Today

- "The first iPad is a winner."
- Onscreen keyboard fine for emails or quick notes, but not for lengthy articles.
- Most will use the iPad for consuming content rather than creating it.
- "Apple has pretty much nailed it with this first iPad, though there's certainly room for improvement."

Article Link: Early iPad Reviews Appear

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
It would be a real shocker if any one of these 3 guys gave anything short of a glowing review for such a high profile Apple release.

mciarlo

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
New York City
I'm glad these reviews are out - I read each from the NYTimes, USA Today, and the WSJ. However, I'm slightly agitated that the most well-respected technology figures have boiled the iPad's faults down to the same 3 things any one of us could have said: no multi-tasking, no Flash, and clunky keyboard.

Mossberg and Pogue in particular had an opportunity to really showcase the beauty and power of the device (or lack thereof), but all we got were glorified yelp reviews.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Pogue good: This device will appeal more to the non-techies than to the techies who will still want a laptop. It is far more than just a big iPhone. Games are great. Speed is great. Battery life is better than advertised.

Pogue bad: The onscreen keyboard is not good.

Uncle Walt good: This could change the UI game forever.

Uncle Walt bad: Only Pages exports to Microsoft format, and it's buggy. Apple will need to improve these apps.

MSUSpartan

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
If they don't give glowing reviews I'm sure they won't get to play with the next big toy early ha

UniPro

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
Orange County, CA
It would be a real shocker if any one of these 3 guys gave anything short of a glowing review for such a high profile Apple release.

Normally I'd agree but the guy from PC Mag also highly praised it, as well as pointing out the iPad's obvious shortcomings. That's what really surprised me.

meli

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2004
The fact that these 3 guys get the device early makes me suspicious of their reviews. Like someone said on TwiT, they give "soft" reviews of Apple products. Even their negative reviews aren't all that negative.

But that's not to say they're wrong about the iPad.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007

Firstly, I can't believe this thing with play videos for 12 hours. That is ridiculous battery life.

Secondly, while I agree that the trio is notorious for drinking the Koolaid, they are not afraid to point out the faults or limitations of the products.

I must say, however, that the positive reviews do make me want one more than I did when it was shown.

MSUSpartan

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
The fact that these 3 guys get the device early makes me suspicious of their reviews. Like someone said on TwiT, they give "soft" reviews of Apple products. Even their negative reviews aren't all that negative.

But that's not to say they're wrong about the iPad.

Mossberg keeps calling the iPad a new type of computer, it is almost like Steve Jobs paid him to repeat it over and over :rolleyes:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
...I'm slightly agitated that the most well-respected technology figures have boiled the iPad's faults down to the same 3 things any one of us could have said: no multi-tasking, no Flash, and clunky keyboard.

Except that they are writing for non-techies that haven't been gnashing their teeth over the deets for the past two months and also they don't have unlimited space to print their review like say Arstechnica.com.

Mossberg keeps calling the iPad a new type of computer, it is almost like Steve Jobs paid him to repeat it over and over :rolleyes:

And this annoys you becccccause it's not a new type of computer? Would you have been happier if it called it a new type of data input device?

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
These reviews are useless and pretty much add nothing that we didn't already know.

Mr. MacPhisto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2003
Verifies what I thought - not a serious content creation device. Basically a big iPod Touch with a few extra bells and whistles.

If you want something on the go bigger than your cell phone then it could work. If you want something portable to create serious documents, etc with then you'll want a regular laptop or even a more capable netbook.

The most interesting comparisons will come when HP's Slate hits. It runs Windows 7 and uses an Atom processor, so it basically is more of a computer capable of multi-tasking, running Flash, etc. If the Slate works well then I think a lot of reviewers will begin to badmouth the iPad for its limitations.

I still think it is a niche product. Early sales look good, but the AppleTV put up nice numbers early too. Once all the Applephiles buy, it is then we'll see how well it does. The iPhone was tapping a market that already existed - a massive cell phone market. Apple has generally been spotty at creating markets. They did create the PC market, though they floundered a bit a decade in. And they worked wonders with the iPod and iTunes all tied together. But the Apple TV, the Newton, and a computer like the G4 cube are all testaments that Apple doesn't always come up with big hits.

The response from the general public seems a bit tepid and any bad reports could make that worse. I don't think the iPad will be a failure by any means, but I don't think it will create the kind of growth that some expect it to.

The real question will be how much it gets used a month after someone buys it? Two months? Does it change their life or do they eventually get frustrated with the touch screen keyboard and lack of full functionality.

The fact is that it pales in comparison to a fully functional laptop. I'm not sure how ready people are to ditch their keyboards. And you can bring up the bluetooth keyboard, the keyboard dock, etc, but that limits the whole intent of the product. It's difficult to hold a keyboard and iPad in your lap simultaneously and if you do that you might as well get a laptop. And if you set it in the keyboard dock on a desk, why not just have a desktop or laptop?

It all hinges on people loving the keyboard for everyday use. They tolerate it for everyday use with a cell phone, though the popularity of QWERTY cell phones tells you that a lot of people want a physical keyboard. That's one reason I don't want an iPhone (that and AT&T). The iPhone is a terrible texting phone in my experience whereas my enV Touch suits my purpose well - and I know tons of people like that.

Preorders really tailed off quickly. I'll be interested to see what the sales end up being when Apple first reports.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
I'm more interesting in hearing what real users have to say about the product, not necessarily these talking heads or so called "experts".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.