Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Primate Labs publishes new benchmark tests comparing the new MacBook (Late 2008) and MacBook Pro (Late 2008) to their predecessors. These benchmarks measure both processor and memory performance but do not appear to measure graphics capabilities (GPUs) which should be clearly improved in the new machines.

The findings show very little improvements in both processor and memory performance in the new laptops. Processor performance was unlikely to be greatly impacted as the processors remained much the same between the revisions. In theory, memory access should have been improved with bus speeds increasing to 1066MHz in the newest models, but it appears in practice the improvements are minimal.

Of course, real use performance of these new notebooks will be improved due to the faster graphics cards. In fact, ArsTechnica posts some early impressions from the new MacBook Pros and were impressed by its performance:
It's important to note here that, while no serious gamer is going to be trading in his or her main gaming machine for a MacBook Pro any time soon, this level of performance in such a compact form-factor and at this price-point is pretty impressive. The new MacBook Pro is definitely up to the task of gaming on the road or for use at LAN parties when lugging around a desktop machine finally starts making your back hurt.
Another early set of benchmarks from PCMag actually showed dramatic increases in 3D benchmarks even when compared to other PC laptops with the same graphics hardware. This original led some people to believe that both GPUs were being used. This has since been denied by NVIDIA. The discrepancy is hard to explain, however, so we may have to wait for more benchmarks to believe these dramatic gains.

Article Link

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Given the specs, were we really expecting much of a performance difference?

It is pretty apparent this redesign is more about the fabrication of the hardware, more than anything. Which is cool. Just saying...

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
This is why it's insane to update to the very next revision. Users should wait for the second or third at the very least. Or, just wait until they really need it.

The biggest improvement in my opinion will come in build quality. After having finally touched one of the new cases today, I have to say it's the best built machine I have seen Apple make since the MBA.

pgifford, very very true. I know that 12" PowerBook users now have a somewhat better choice in notebook now that the MacBook has backlit keys and dedicated graphics. May not be the same size and weight, but it's a worthy book IMHO.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
I got the new one for the graphics performance, LED LCD, new keyboard, and the new design.

Awesome laptop.

electricfiddle

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
"Somewhat suprisingly, processor performance is virtually unchanged in the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros; the new NVIDIA chipset and the faster DDR3 memory haven’t managed to help increase processor performance." from Primelabs...

So if it's not faster... Then all Apple did was take things away LIKE FIREWIRE and give us a better case???

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
This is great news.

I needed a laptop, bought the pro for graphics capabilities, and am glad that the results of these tests back up my reasons for going with it. I didn't expect faster processing, as I didn't opt for the high end processor to begin with ;) .

image.php

ibanana

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London
Does a MBP OK to run Far Cry 2, GTA IV or Crysis ?

Where can I see some video of crysis, etc running on new MBP?

I've ordered my new MBP + pre-ordered far cry2 + GTA IV yesterday....

I can't wait !

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
This is why I am waiting for Nehalem updates. Those will be the next serious chip updates to come, and will make my Penryn look mighty slow. It will also allow me to get a good three years out of my current MBP.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
This is why I am waiting for Nehalem updates. Those will be the next serious chip updates to come, and will make my Penryn look mighty slow. It will also allow me to get a good three years out of my current MBP.

Not a bad plan. I did similar (getting only 2 years though) moving away from my 2006 MB (Core2) into the new MBP. My increase in performance (photo editing) has more than doubled (IMHO) and I should be set for a couple years with this setup :) .

Looking forward to post Nehalem system releases myself :) . Lets hope the 17" has a Matte / Glossy option as that will be an important for many of us!

image.php

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
This is why it's insane to update to the very next revision. Users should wait for the second or third at the very least. Or, just wait until they really need it.

Yeah. I remember the mid 90's, when upgrading every 8 months almost seemed mandatory.

I think that these days, upgrading every 2 years is an "advanced" schedule and the average is more like 3-5 years.

Even if I'm not right, it sure seems like Apple feels this way too. I think their upgrades are very well positioned to serve that sort of upgrade timeline.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
The new Pros are for graphics, LED displays which blow your mind, new design, eco friendly.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Does Intel not have any faster chips from when the Early 2008 models were released?
No they don't, not yet.

It's all about graphics performance this go around.
Graphic performance for the MB should be much better, the MBP's will be a marginal speed bump, nothing worth writing home about.

The MBP(Not sure about the Macbooks) processor was updated to Intel's Montevina, apparently it didn't help much. It probably helped in battery life.
Montevina is a CHIPSET not a CPU. Penryn is the name of the CPU that currently goes with the Montevina chipset.

DDR3 latencies are horrid, this is why performance won't outpace DDR2 just yet. It needs time to mature as DDR did and DDR2 did. Another year and DDR3 will be smokin. By that time, we'll likely be looking at DDR4 or 5

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
So if it's not faster... Then all Apple did was take things away LIKE FIREWIRE and give us a better case???
You get faster graphics, a LED backlight for the screen, and a larger hard drive as well.

You should move the stuff following your posts into a proper signature (use the Control Panel). It makes quoting your posts a PITA and doesn't respect other users who have their preference set for the forum not to display signatures.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
The benchmarch for the Macbook Firewire is 0mb/s...

:apple:
Or call 1800-MYAPPLE and ask for the Conumser Relations Division...
:apple:
For MACBOOK PRO click here...
http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

How long are we going to beat this to death on forum that Apple doesn't care about?

Also, learn how to use the signature function. It's in the CP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.