Easy way for all AT&T customers to get a $199 Iphone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rrwrrw, Jun 13, 2009.

1. rrwrrw macrumors newbie

So, I know some of you are going to disagree with this post, but since it provides an easy way to get the new iPhone at a subsidized cost (199/299), I am posting anyway.

Under the agreement you sign with AT&T, AT&T has the right to change the terms of your contract at any time. If they decide to change your contract, they give you the option to terminate your contract without paying an early termination fee. So, if AT&T decides to raise the iPhone data price to $100 per month, they are fully permitted to do this under the contract, but you have the right to say "goodbye".

So, we only need to wait until they raise the price on some service they offer and then rely on this clause to terminate. Waiting...waiting...waiting... O.K., they did it!!!! They decided to raise the costs of calling 411 (twenty whole cents). So, I called 611 today, explained this clause, directed the CSR's attention to this section of the service agreement, and they noted in the records that I am permitted to port my numbers to another carrier without paying the ETF. It was so simple (took like 10 minutes), even one of the haters below would be able to do it.

Some of you will say that this is wrong... I can hear it coming. But, this is exactly what AT&T negotiated with you. They want the right to change the fees at any time and allow you to get out of the contract (thinking back to my days in Contracts class in law school, this was probably required since unilateral changes to a contract without additional consideration would probably be unenforceable.)

Call 611, mention this clause, cite the 411 increase, talk to a supervisor if necessary, and get them to note in your file that you can terminate. Then, port whatever number you want to a pay as you go plan with another carrier. A few hours later go into an AT&T store, sign up for service, and port your number back. Very very simple.

It seems a little silly for AT&T to change this fee by so little, thus triggering this loophole, a few days before the iPhone comes out, but they did.

Hope this helps...

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I don't have ATT but I know all about contract loopholes. This would be good for anyone wanting to put fourth the effort. No trickery or deceit involved. You as a consumer aren't allowed to change the terms of the contract, so why should they?

But when was the change made? I want to say that you only have a certian amount of time (like 90 days after) for you to opt out of the change and cancel your contract.

3. kwyn macrumors regular

Have you completed this clever little plan? Did you go back into the ATT store and get the Iphone 3GS (pre order obviously) at the subsidized rate?

When was the 411 increase? Just curious if it was before or after I signed up (Oct. 08).

If all the ATT defenders around these boards have a problem with your plan...too F'in bad!!

Thanks for sharing! Don't know if I'll do it or not. I was just going to wait for the next Iphone, but now you have my interest...

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

Good luck with that route. Expect a big suprise. The notes on your account are not a legal release. Same thing happened last year. Lots and lots of unhappy customers (ex-customers).

Also just because you get a Care rep to note that you are "Upgrade Eligible", you still will not be able to upgrade at Point of Sale (POS) at the lowest price. It will still require an "exception" override and it will receive an automatic audit. :(

Dave

5. abarna21 macrumors regular

6. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Getting the new iPhone just really is that important to me. Even-though I agree that this is a completely legit way to get the subsidized price I just think it's not worth losing my number, and it's part of the reason why we pay so much. Don't get me wrong, they would price-rape us regardless but, they are forced to rape a little more due to the fact that they have to recover lost revenue through so many people jumping through every loop-hole.

Also, I may be wrong ... but i've heard something to the effect of when you cancel your contract they require you to wait 3-6 months before you can re-sign up. Maybe that's just with ETF.

7. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Doesn't work. When you terminate, your account (which is linked to your address and social security number) is flagged and you cannot sign up using your name, social security number, phone numbers, or any other related identification for at least 90 days.

Unless you plan to commit identity fraud, you are out of luck on this one.

You also lose your phone number as they cannot port it back from another carrier for 60 days.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Good luck with that. My suspicion is that AT&T will not necessarily want you back as a customer after a stunt like that; and you may well find yourself stuck with whatever carrier you switched to. I further suspect that you are not the first person to have this idea.

Best of luck though. Just be ready to not have an iPhone at all for a while.

Or you could just hold tight for another year and get a kick-ass dual-core iPhone...

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

can they deny people as customers? if they change the contract, you have every right to get out of it and not be penalized for it. you agreed to something, they changed it, you should be able to get out of it and sign a new contract if desired

10. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

This would be incredible.

11. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

But they still reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

how is that possible? hypothetically, i wasnt the one that changed the terms of the contract, they did. how can a company refuse service to someone based on that? seems somewhat illegal in my mind. they didnt abuse the service but opted to get out due to a contract change initaited by the service provider

13. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

That's pretty ingenious. It'd be nice if there were a site somewhere to monitor all rate changes for AT&T. Might be good to note in the future if the iPhone ever goes to a better carrier.

They can have you name filed and the reason for your leaving. Businesses can reserve the right to refuse service (i.e. a contract in this case) to anyone.

This would work too. T-Mobile raised SMS fees a while ago, and due to this people were allowed to exit their contracts with no ETF fee.

14. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

They could hypothetically refuse service to you because you go over on texts too much. Yes, you probably pay for those extra texts and that makes them happy ... So that is why they never will refuse you service because of that, BUT ... They are a non-government owned company (I can't believe there's still some of those left in the US). And since they aren't owned by the government they can refuse service to anyone they want.

The Post Office can't.

15. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

While you would be able to terminate the contract and cancel the service, I believe that you will not be able to open another account for a certain period of time.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Have you never seen those signs in stores that say "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"?

There's no law that says a private business is forced to do business with you. If you've pulled some kind of technicality on them once, I'm sure they think you're likely to do it again. Therefore a bad risk, therefore "no phone for you. You come back - one year".
    [​IMG]

17. ChaSSe macrumors member

Please tell me where in the contract it says this.

18. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Nice find im gonna wait mine out the longer I wait the longer I have Apple care on it.

19. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Awesome! :D

20. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

SERVICE COMMITMENT / EARLY TERMINATION FEE
    Your Service Commitment begins on the day we activate your service. You have received certain benefits from us in exchange for any Service Commitment greater than one month. If we terminate your service for nonpayment or other default before the end of the Service Commitment, or if you terminate your service for any reason other than (a) in accordance with the cancellation policy; or (b) pursuant to a change of terms, conditions or rates as set forth below, you agree to pay us with respect to each device identifier or telephone number assigned to you, in addition to all other amounts owed, an Early Termination Fee of $175 ("Early Termination Fee"). For service activated on or after May 25, 2008, the Early Termination Fee will be reduced by $5.00 for each full month toward your minimum term that you complete. The Early Termination Fee is not a penalty, but rather a charge to compensate us for your failure to satisfy the Service Commitment on which your rate plan is based.

Source: Terms of Service

21. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

What, you want a page/paragraph/line number?

It won't work, as stated above. You can't port your number back to AT&T for 2 months.

Also, can't you say "I want to get rid of the contract, but I still want to go month-to-month"?

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

interesting point

seems like a win win for everyone

can anyone provide documentation on wat the 411 was and what it is now?

thanks

23. ChaSSe macrumors member

Nope, I just know that wont work. I work there. :)

24. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

25. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Here. Not documentation but some replies raise an interesting point - 411 isn't part of your contract. If AT&T raised the price of your texts, it would be legitimate to cancel without ETF, but the 411 fees would not apply to this as it isn't a stipulation of your contract/plan.