Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
This plan would make a lot more sense and be a lot easier if the phone you wanted was on another network. Seems like a ton of hassle (that may or may not actually work when sh*t comes to fan next week), adding multiple new lines to your contract, lots of hoops to jump though and people to argue with...all for a phone that is ever so slightly faster than the one you already have.

But at least you'll get a compass...

TomInOregon

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2008
I understand this working, since a number of people got out of their contracts with other carriers this way in order to get the 3G. This time, though, people aren't leaving their carrier, just canceling one contract and immediately starting another. I don't understand why AT&T wouldn't reinstate your contract exactly as it was if you turn around and sign up again right away. If you are breaking the contract because the increase in fees is so outrageous, why are you turning around and agreeing to the new prices (and hoping for a 2 year contract at that price)?

As far as the other plan to create new lines and cancel the old ones, why isn't there an early termination fee for each line canceled which is still under contract? What's to stop someone from doing this over and over and selling the 3G Ss on ebay?

I'm not saying it won't work, just wondering why it will probably work for some and not others. Is it a case of random enforcement of the rules or are they allowing it for a reason?

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
I smell BS

someone show proof of

a) having an iPhone account
b) cancelling without fees
c) showing a new account w/ subsidized phone WITH THE SAME NUMBER

HTHawk

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
I've got a question if anyone would be able to answer.

If I have an account under my mother's SSN, would it be possible to cancel and then create a new account under my SSN and name? (This is all assuming the cancellation thing actually works)

prospereagle92

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
I've got a question if anyone would be able to answer.

If I have an account under my mother's SSN, would it be possible to cancel and then create a new account under my SSN and name? (This is all assuming the cancellation thing actually works)

yes but im not sure how you would keep your old number

curly14

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
all this for a compass and video camera.. whew sounds like alot of work..

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
This plan would make a lot more sense and be a lot easier if the phone you wanted was on another network. Seems like a ton of hassle (that may or may not actually work when sh*t comes to fan next week), adding multiple new lines to your contract, lots of hoops to jump though and people to argue with...all for a phone that is ever so slightly faster than the one you already have.

This. Seriously? Jumping through this many hoops, arguing with customer service reps, canceling contracts and starting pay-as-you-go plans, and re-porting...all to save maybe $200 (which you could probably make back selling your current iPhone). Damn. That's just not worth it to me. But I guess we all have things that are important to us.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
So I can buy the 3SG as a 3rd iPhone on my family plan, cancel my 3G due to the change and then can I switch the numbers of my 3G and my 3GS before I cancel my 3G? I hope this made sense.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia

That's kind of my sense of it too. Sure, you can get out of your contract this way. I've no doubt of that. I'd just be very surprised if AT&T took you back right away, particularly in time to save your previous number.

My guess is that if you try to pull something like this, you'd better be happy with a Pre or a Storm (or willing to jailbreak your 3G) because AT&T isn't going to be eager to take you back right away. It sounds like they're having no trouble selling 3GS's.

And if you've got a 3G, just sit tight. In a year, you'll be able to crow about how you've got this new kick-ass 4G iPhone while the rest of us are stuck with these crappy 3GS's for a whole 'nother year.

Of course, a year later we'll be doing the same thing with the 5Gs! :D

BigWill

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2009
Long Beach CA
First let me say. My wife and I switched to Sprint when the Instinct came out. 6 months or so ago. After 30 days....we both HATED the phone. I could not find a way to get out. I came across this site
http://www.ucan.org/telecommunications/wireless/cancel_sprint_without_paying_early_termination_fee

What was going on here was the SAME thing the OP is talking about. Sprint increased some admin fees by like .53 cent or some crap. This voided the terms of the contract. As you can see from the site, there are TONS of conversations with online reps canceling accts. My convo is there, too. I did the online chat from my acct and said I wanted to cancel due to this increase. They cancelled our acct effect next cycle. We headed to ATT and got iPhones. So this stuff works!! It did with Sprint. Thing is like someone else said. They will probably let you out to port w/out an ETF, but I doubt you can say remove the ETF and let me go month to month. I am going to call ATT in the AM and inquire on this.

My convo with Sprint

Thank you for contacting Sprint. My name is Brittany. How may I assist you today?
12:24:23 PM Charles _
I want to cancel my acct.
12:24:37 PM Brittany A
I will be happy to assist you with that today. One moment while I access your account.
12:25:47 PM Brittany A
I must advise that there is a 200.00 early termination fee for each line on the account.
12:26:17 PM Charles _
due to the materially adverse change in the contract in the administrative fees, there should not be.
1:20:01 PM Komeshia
Thank you for your patience. I have now cancelled your account, effective 2/19/09 which is the last day of the current billing cycle. You will not incur any early termination fees with this cancellation.

The full convo is on the site I posted above.

That is almost exactly how it went for me, and for the same reasons. The Instinct was a smelly pile. I was pointed to the same website by another forum, and there was literally no resistance from the Sprint CS rep, except to make sure that I knew I was canceling over a $.20 difference in my bill.

I could go off on how 411 is a peripheral service, and not a part of your contract... but we've beaten that horse into pulp already. :rolleyes:

TomInOregon

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2008
So I can buy the 3SG as a 3rd iPhone on my family plan, cancel my 3G due to the change and then can I switch the numbers of my 3G and my 3GS before I cancel my 3G? I hope this made sense.

You shouldn't be able to cancel a single line of a plan due to a change in fees. You would cancel the whole contract. I wouldn't think you could cancel the contract if you added a line after the change in fees took effect, but I'm not sure about that. It certainly wouldn't look very good for you in the unlikely event they went to court to collect your ETF. Someone else may be able to answer this better than I can. I'm still trying to understand how this is able to work other than through selective enforcement of the rules.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Hmm they closed OLAM so I couldn't check that 411 price adjustment you guys are talking about. Anyway, it seems like it's not easy imo :p

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
I did the same in Australia when Optus introduced a $2 a month paper billing fee. Got out of contract... Awesome

Bring on the 3GS

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Wow, this needs to be a sticky for the fact it shows you how to get out of a contract, when any phone carrier changes the terms (prices).

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
Wow, this needs to be a sticky for the fact it shows you how to get out of a contract, when any phone carrier changes the terms (prices).

This is common information. It gets rehashed every time an iPhone comes out.

Here's the deal, guys. If you're an AT&T customer already, you can't do any manipulation of lines, etc without being subject to the 90-day restriction. If you call and cancel one line, you will not be eligible to add another line for 90 days. If you cancel the whole contract, you can't get another one for, yep, 90 days.

This means you WILL lose your number, since numbers reenter the pool after 30 days, and you can't request a new number when you go to get the new phone.

This only works for people who want to switch from OTHER carriers. If you want to ditch your own carrier, and sign up again, there is a (logical) penalty for that action of not being able to regain service for 3 months.

williamgallas10

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009

Here's the deal, guys. If you're an AT&T customer already, you can't do any manipulation of lines, etc without being subject to the 90-day restriction. If you call and cancel one line, you will not be eligible to add another line for 90 days. If you cancel the whole contract, you can't get another one for, yep, 90 days.

This means you WILL lose your number, since numbers reenter the pool after 30 days, and you can't request a new number when you go to get the new phone.

This only works for people who want to switch from OTHER carriers. If you want to ditch your own carrier, and sign up again, there is a (logical) penalty for that action of not being able to regain service for 3 months.

Thats the truth there folks. You cant cancel a contract and start another one the next day.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

ive been thinking it would be nice to get pre

vinay427

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2008
[snip]
12:26:17 PM Charles _
due to the materially adverse change in the contract in the administrative fees, there should not be.
1:20:01 PM Komeshia
Thank you for your patience. I have now cancelled your account, effective 2/19/09 which is the last day of the current billing cycle. You will not incur any early termination fees with this cancellation.

The full convo is on the site I posted above.

Haha, "materially adverse change". Love it!

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
Haha, "materially adverse change". Love it!

LMAO!! I came up with that on my own...you like that? :D

Poor guy, it took her an hour to get the final OK. Typical, and not surprising.

Cell providers are so large, they have no way at any time understanding their own processes. That's why you have to call back and speak to different people until you get lucky.

You are correct, Sir!

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
You shouldn't be able to cancel a single line of a plan due to a change in fees. You would cancel the whole contract. I wouldn't think you could cancel the contract if you added a line after the change in fees took effect, but I'm not sure about that. It certainly wouldn't look very good for you in the unlikely event they went to court to collect your ETF. Someone else may be able to answer this better than I can. I'm still trying to understand how this is able to work other than through selective enforcement of the rules.
Makes sense, and to be honest this seems like too much work. I like my 3G and with the new OS it may not be as fast, but it has most of the toys.

prospereagle92

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
Okay tell me if this would work...

Right now my number is under my dad's name. Could i create a new line under my mom's name cancel the line under my dad's and then request to have my number transferred and say that we had to switch who pays for it? (Because my parents got divorced)

OR

Could i add a new line under my dad's account get the new iPhone, cancel my old line and then transfer the number?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
This will not work. Your previous account with AT&T stays online for 90 days after you terminate. Which means if you decide to come back, all the next rep does is re-activate it.

In other words, you are in for a surprise and non eligibility status again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.