Eating better

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by crazycat, Apr 13, 2009.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

This subject has always been on my mind, i always wanted to eat better. I wanted to stop eating McDonalds late at night, i wanted to stop drinking soft drinks, i wanted to stop eating snacks and i really wanted to lose 30 pounds. A few months back i changed my lifestyle, i stop drinking soft drinks, i measuring my food. There months into my change i lost 20 pounds, i found it strange. I do not feel hungry, in fact i feel full most of the time. Gone are the cheese burgers and cheetos and in are 100 calorie snacks. I feel better, lighter and gone are the back pains i used to have.

I found it very hard when i was in the US for a few months to control my wight, fast foods are to convenient portions are to great. A few days back i tired eating from McDonalds, i felt sick and dont really care for it as i was did. It is strange to find myself getting sick from really sweet deserts or coffee with suger but i do now.

I just felt like sharing.

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Cool story. Glad to hear you managed to sort your diet out, it is all to easy to fall into the fastfood world for meals and snacks, but it's good to hear you got out of it! Congrats.

3. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Good to hear your story. I started eating subway for lunch and dinner constantly because of the good mix of whole grains, fruits/veggies and lean meats. Coupled with eating fruits, sticking to diet soda (and lots of water) and sun chips for snacks on top of jogging, I've dropped ten pounds.

4. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Thank you for sharing your story. It's interesting!
    It must feel good to have lost those inches off your waste!
    Keep up the great work! :cool:

5. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

That's far more information than we need to know! :eek:

;)

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I've drank soda once since late January. I almost threw up that time.

I stopped drinking soda, and started to drink water because I wanted to be more athletic/healthier. (I'm 15). When i stopped drinking soda, I also stopped going to McDonalds, and other fast food restaurants.

I only really eat home cooked food, school food, and the occasional "Dinner out with the family".

The only things I drink- Water, Lemonade.

7. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

This is really an interesting comment to me. As someone who never drinks soda or sweetened drinks, I've always found it hard to understand how others, especially since I moved to the US where it is much more prevalent, can make it through an entire can of soda. At a store near my former office, you could get drinks (only soda on tap) for under 50 cents, but they were something like 48 oz cups. I tried a few times to drink these things, but I ended up having to go home early, sick with a headache and shivers. So, from your comment, it sounds like maybe people can drink these drinks because they've developed a tolerance...

Anyway, good on ya! I watched a British program the other day about a nutritionist who turns around families with unhealthy eating habits. Having grown up with people who eat like that (fried food, curry, chocolate bars, crisps), the show made me so happy for those families... I'm just running on, sorry!

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Its not a tolerance, its just...Yeah I guess it is a tolerance.

I used to drink soda like 3-4 times a week (One and a half cans at a time), so I can make it through a can. If I wanted to(When I used to drink soda), I could've drank through about 5 cans, if I wasn't full.

Now, I can barely drink 4-5 sips.

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Deep-fried bacon-wrapped macaroni cheese.

Attached Files:

10. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Great story - not to take over this thread i too have changed my life style also. I used to get fast food when ever i could, i was completely against eating vegetables and i drunk to much soft drink and beer.

I became dehydrated, my potassium level when through the roof and i was hospitalized. So i decided to say good bye to the fast food, lay off the soft drink, restrict my beer consumption and drink plenty of water.

I too if i eat mc Donald's or chicken takeaway with the greasie dinner boxes i to feel sick

Now i stick with the occasional pizza now and a gain or fish and chips

11. slick316 macrumors 6502

I have to chime in on this one also.

Its only been 10 days, but I haven't had any sugary drinks since (just water), no fast food of any kind, a bowl of Special K for breakfast and lunch, apple or other fruit for a snack, and something "not heavy" for dinner (no more large portions).

I don't exercise, hard to find the time right now, but I want to and will this summer. But even without the exercise, in the last 10 days, I lost 7lbs.

Not to be nasty, but since my new diet took place, I have had bigger bowel movements, I must have had a lot of "crap" backed up. And I am much more "regular" also, I don't want to think about what that fast food crap I was eating all these years has done to me internally.

I feel healthier already, and i've just started.

I did weight 185lbs 10 days ago, now 178lbs. My goal is 140lbs. I'm going to adjust my diet accordingly, start working out, and hopefully hit my goal by the end of the year. From then on, I should be able to maintain my weight and lead a healthier life.

12. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I would like to try and get fit, because at the moment it's just LoL. I over did it sunday and i was not a well little clacker.

Perhaps some walking or lifting some weights.

13. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

No milk?

14. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

dang dude you must be short haha my healthy weight is 180-185 haha

15. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Rarely. :/

16. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

That's great! I gave up McDonald's type food several years ago. The hardest part is when traveling. Sometimes you just get stuck with few choices. And like you said ... now that kind of food doesn't make me feel very good.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Everyone keeps forgetting before the value meals and super-sized portion, Mcdonald's used to sell properly sized meals.

Now when you look at a value fry, value drink and small burger, you think you are getting shorted ... yet it is the size meal most should eat.

Sucks how fast food and restaurants have distorted people's perceptions of the size of high calorie meals -- by pushing the new bigger sizes.

Though it is interesting with the bad economy, the sizes of the portions and the plate sizes have shrank, I think PF Changs is down to serving family portions on 6-inch plates now. ;)

---

If you stay away from corn syrup for awhile, the stuff tastes nasty when you drink it again after awhile.

18. slick316 macrumors 6502

5' 5", so you can see why 185lbs is not going to look good on me, lol.

Truth is, I just let my weight get out of hand.

10 days ago, while checking in an overweight guest (I work at a hotel), I noticed how winded this guy was, walking just 30 feet from his car to the front desk. He struggled for 10-15 seconds to get his wallet out of his back pocket, and when he did get it, he was breathing heavy, like he just sprinted a 1/2 mile!

I just didn't want to end up like that guy. I just needed a jump start, and I got it.

19. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

oh hah yea i'm 6'3"... and yup what made me excercise was seeing pics of myself at a water park.

lost 10lbs after running 2 miles 3 times a week.

20. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

21. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

The study that suggests soy reduces sperm count always seemed pretty suspicious to me. In large parts of the world people eat soy products everyday, but it doesn't seem that there is an unusual incidence of infertility in any of those areas... I eat quite a few soy-based products everyday (tofu, soy milk, soy beans, soy sauce, etc) and it hasn't caused any reproductive problems :).

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I only use soy milk in my cereal (but not my coffee), and I eat tofu around once a week (average). However, it's true that too much soy ("isoflavones") may be bad for you in some respects. I don't think I'll suffer any setbacks because of it because I don't go overboard with the soy.

I hope you guys develop a natural instinct for this sort of thing rather than have to worry about exactly what you're eating. For me it's instinctive. I use some common sense and look at my diet overall rather than meal-by-meal. I'll eat a Double Quarter Pounder meal if I want and enjoy it. However, it's rare. I happen to eat in a way that balances out my calorie count. I exercise somewhat frequently, walk short distances when I can, I jog twice a week because I love running, etc. If I eat a massive dinner tomorrow, I don't even give it a second thought because I've also had a few small dinners this week. I just didn't feel like stuffing myself. Also, I don't worry if tomorrow's dinner consists almost entirely of meat. Why should I? I ate all veggies and no meat 2 days ago.

I don't really feel like I put in effort to cut calories, or watch the type of food I'm eating. Just eat a variety of different foods, and mix portion sizes. You don't NEED to eat a huge dinner just because it's "dinner". Micro-managing your diet is torture. I must be pretty consistent at burning the same number of calories as I've consumed, because my weight has fluctuated within 1 kg over the past 4 months.

I hope you guys develop an instinct for this so that it's less stressful.

23. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

That instinct must be innate for some people. Too bad I didn't get it.
    re: soda- people who can chug gallons of soda most likely have developed a resistance to insulin/sugar. I read something about this recently, but I don't remember where it was... it's pretty interesting though. When you become more sensitive and try to do your old habits it does and should make you sick because of the massive influx of sugar/carbs. :apple:

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well I can drink as much Coke as I want and never feel ill. I LOVE Coke. :)

However, that's one of the things I avoid drinking/eating too much of. It contains a LOT of sugar (or corn syrup, which doesn't bother me, tbh) because it's bad for me, so I limit myself to 1 can at a time. I do love Coke, and I don't make a huge effort to avoid it. By drinking from a can, you limit the amount you drink. If it was from a massive 2 litre bottle, it's harder to control the amount you drink.

25. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

saaaaaaame here! unfortunatly - kroger sells 12 packs of soda for less than 1.50$

cokes are around 3 bucks - so i stick with the sometimes nasty Kroger Dr. K (as their cola is nasty)