Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
I actually could use some advice. Can anyone suggest to me some healthy snacks? I have class from 8-12 Fridays so it means I go to gym early. I eat breakfast at 5:30 and then have my next snack (a carmans museli bite) at about 9 but by 11 my brain is mush so I think I need something else, nothing too high cal just to get me through until lunch which will probably be around 12:30 any ideas?

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I actually could use some advice. Can anyone suggest to me some healthy snacks? I have class from 8-12 Fridays so it means I go to gym early. I eat breakfast at 5:30 and then have my next snack (a carmans museli bite) at about 9 but by 11 my brain is mush so I think I need something else, nothing too high cal just to get me through until lunch which will probably be around 12:30 any ideas?

I usually get a low-fat liquid yogurt with cereal. You probably don't have the same ones there but something like these:

Yoggi%20Liq.Cremoso%20Morango.Cereais.jpg

coyote23

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2009
Its not a tolerance, its just...Yeah I guess it is a tolerance.

I used to drink soda like 3-4 times a week (One and a half cans at a time), so I can make it through a can. If I wanted to(When I used to drink soda), I could've drank through about 5 cans, if I wasn't full.

Now, I can barely drink 4-5 sips.

The forms of sugar used in junk food are poisonous to people. Literal poison.

Those who still like the sweet stuff should stick to raw honey, grade b maple syrup & agave syrup.

http://www.angelfire.com/az/sthurston/sugar_addiction.html

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy

For snacks I eat almonds. I buy lots of different flavours, or I soak raw almonds in vanilla almond milk.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I have nipples and I've never seen any milk come out of them. I think I'd freak out if I did. :D

Edit: I'm a guy btw.

You didn't squeeze hard enough, quitter.

Carmens muesli cereal is gooooood. :) I never knew they had snacks though.

Also, I'd eat a banana, although I'd probably eat one before I went to the gym as well. They're a good source of energy, and provide it very quickly.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Celery and raw carrots?

JennaHaze

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2009
I usually get a low-fat liquid yogurt with cereal. You probably don't have the same ones there but something like these:

Yoggi%20Liq.Cremoso%20Morango.Cereais.jpg

Did you even read my last post? Like I mentioned in the previous post, "low-fat" anything will cause you to gain weight. Read Good Calories, Bad Calories. It blows the myth on the low-fat craze.

Please pay attention next time.

interslice

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
NL
lol have you ever even seen cow? Since when do cows nipples drag along the ground? Last time i checked grass wasn't a toxic substance either so as long as you know where your milk comes from there are zero problems. Plus last time I checked every baby drink milks and the human population still exists so it can't be all bad :)

never seen a cow no .... go and eat a bowl of grass and see how you feel after ;)

as long as you know HOW your milk is treated there are less than a few problems (baring in mind MILK IS FOR BABIES)

come on people - i may sound a bit sarcastic - but unless you read up on the "literally tonnes" of info out there on exactly WHAT you take in when you drink milk ... then don't' make fun of me - it upsets me that people are all so - oh the government says it's good - so lets all do it ...

whats that saying about jumping and buses!! :p

interslice

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
NL
Who in their right mind would eat a plant that grows out of toxic soil, fertilized with animal waste and treated with toxic pesticides?

Please, one can make any type of food sound unpleasant by describing it in a certain way.

yes yes i know - but the way i said it was BARE facts!!
sorry ...
i didn't dress it up THAT much ;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I thought this thread stated eating butter, not better :eek:

Oh well, I'll throw in my $.02
I've given up eating fast foods, tonic, and other fried foods/high caloric drinks. I did this years ago and feel good and lost weight. I also run 4+ miles a day.

Now with that said, I've found myself over the course of time slipping back into bad habits, picking up a back of tostitos, or cheetos etc. Part of the problem I face is that I have kids and we do need some snacks in the house for them.

While we endeavor to have them eat healthy and focus on fruits, they like their chips/cookies/crackers from time to time. The problem is staying away from that myself.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
While we endeavor to have them eat healthy and focus on fruits, they like their chips/cookies/crackers from time to time. The problem is staying away from that myself.
I'm sure that attitude is where most people fail in their diets. From time to time isn't going to hurt you. Your body will be able to cope with small amounts of the bad stuff and as long as you watch the calories your weight will be fine. No need to live like a monk, if you get my drift.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm sure that attitude is where most people fail in their diets. From time to time isn't going to hurt you. Your body will be able to cope with small amounts of the bad stuff and as long as you watch the calories your weight will be fine. No need to live like a monk, if you get my drift.

Agreed, I think moderation is really the key here and that's one of the problems we face in the US. Just go to any restaurant and order an entree. The portions are HUGE. I typically cut my entree in half and take it home with me. The same goes with snacking, I don't mind some chips but after a certain hour at night I'll not eat any more and I don't like having them with me in the living room where I can mindlessly stuff them in my mouth without thinking.

Its just not what you eat but how and when you eat it.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
For breakfast most days in the winter/spring (whenever i dont have fresh fruit) i usually end up grabbing a pop-tart or something on the way to work, but recently i've been eating a medium-sized bowl of cheerios and a tall glass of milk and i must say that i am feeling much more energized throughout the morning. It makes me eat healthier at lunch too because i dont eat a ton of food to make up for a bad breakfast and i can pick out something decent instead of just chowing down. When the peaches come in this year i'll have to comine them with my cheerios and see what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.