Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
so my ECG app wasnt working so i tried to uninstall it and reinstall it now i cant get it back on my watch and it does not show up in the apple watches app store

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Are you on the watchOS 7.1 Beta? There is a known issue on that beta regarding the ECG and Blood Oxygen apps disappearing.

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Are you on the watchOS 7.1 Beta? There is a known issue on that beta regarding the ECG and Blood Oxygen apps disappearing.
no i am not on watch os 7.1 beta on stock watch os 7. i have also tried to unpair and re pair the watch to no avail

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
Thank god I'm not the only one. I've unpaired and reset my watch 5 times now and the EKG app is nowhere to be found. I am not on any betas either.

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
even restoring my new watch from a backup that has the ecg app installed didnt work

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
even restoring my new watch from a backup that has the ecg app installed didnt work
Same. I've tried both ways, it wasn't there when I set it up using the backup from my S5, and it's not there after the numerous resets/unpairs I've done. I'm getting close to just re-pairing my 5 and returning this.

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Thank god I'm not the only one. I've unpaired and reset my watch 5 times now and the EKG app is nowhere to be found. I am not on any betas either.
i had the ecg app when i first set it up but wanted to go through the first time set up on my iphone, the problem was my phone thought it was already set up. so i removed it and now i cant get it back

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Same. I've tried both ways, it wasn't there when I set it up using the backup from my S5, and it's not there after the numerous resets/unpairs I've done. I'm getting close to just re-pairing my 5 and returning this.
im sure its just software and will be fixed eventually. i don't use it enough to be a game changer. the blood ox is more important for me as i have asthma

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
How about informing Apple of the problem so that they can get it fixed ASAP, as that is a big problem, in my opinion.
Would love nothing more than to do that, but the last two times I've called them for software related issues, it's turned into a huge mess. I'll give it a shot I suppose, but if it's going to take weeks like my last experience (which yielded no fix -- iPhone kept saying "unable to activate cellular plan" all of a sudden) and they promised call backs and follow ups which never came, so not thrilled about getting caught on that merry go round again.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Would love nothing more than to do that, but the last two times I've called them for software related issues, it's turned into a huge mess. I'll give it a shot I suppose, but if it's going to take weeks like my last experience (which yielded no fix -- iPhone kept saying "unable to activate cellular plan" all of a sudden) and they promised call backs and follow ups which never came, so not thrilled about getting caught on that merry go round again.
Valid points of frustration. I suppose I would be reticent as well with that history.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
I've even tried a trick of sending myself a text message with the link to the ECG app (since searching for it on the watch using "Apple" doesn't yield any results). When I click on the link in the message, the app store on watch opens, and it says "Requires iPhone" and won't let me install.

IMG_0616.PNG

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Valid points of frustration. I suppose I would be reticent as well with that history.
hmm its not the watch its a bug with watch os 7 just tried to delete the ecg app on both my old series 5 and 4 and have the same issue cannot reinstall it from app store

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
I've even tried a trick of sending myself a text message with the link to the ECG app (since searching for it on the watch using "Apple" doesn't yield any results). When I click on the link in the message, the app store on watch opens, and it says "Requires iPhone" and won't let me install.

View attachment 955438
how did you link the ecg app to yourself?

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
how did you link the ecg app to yourself?

Sent myself a text opened text on watch,

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Sent myself a text opened text on watch,

yeah i just tried this and got the same thing

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
I'm on with Apple now. They want me to unpair my watch again, and if that doesn't work they want to me wipe my phone (not gonna happen). I told them I sent myself the link and what it says when I try to download it. I can tell this is going to mirror my last experience with them about 10 months ago with my iPhone 10 Pro Max (it kept popping up a "Unknown Cellular Plan" something or another message every 3-4 hours). Took it to the Apple store, they reset it there, and it kept doing the same thing. I was promised so many call backs that never came, and ended up trading the phone in towards an 11 for my wife. I just don't want to have to go through the endless hamster wheel again.

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
I'm on with Apple now. They want me to unpair my watch again, and if that doesn't work they want to me wipe my phone (not gonna happen). I told them I sent myself the link and what it says when I try to download it. I can tell this is going to mirror my last experience with them about 10 months ago with my iPhone 10 Pro Max (it kept popping up a "Unknown Cellular Plan" something or another message every 3-4 hours). Took it to the Apple store, they reset it there, and it kept doing the same thing. I was promised so many call backs that never came, and ended up trading the phone in towards an 11 for my wife. I just don't want to have to go through the endless hamster wheel again.
let me know what happens with it if they fix it or want to replace the watch. i even tried searching by developer for all apple apps and it still did not show up for me

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
let me know what happens with it if they fix it or want to replace the watch. i even tried searching by developer for all apple apps and it still did not show up for me
I'm expecting it to be a drawn out thing much like my iPhone issue unfolded. I was told if they couldn't figure it out, they'd replace the phone. I sent tons of diagnostic logs over the course of a week, and then once they had those the follow up calls I had been promised never came. I tried to reach back out to the associate who had been helping me, and she never called back, and I ended up speaking to someone else who ultimately said engineering couldn't replicate the issue on any of their devices and that I could either trade the device in (which I did) or deal with it. I'm a really really REALLY patient guy, but they really REALLY tested my nerves -- it took in total about 40 days before I finally gave up and did the trade in at the Apple store, even though they were able each and every time to replicate the issue in store on my device, but had no issues show up with whatever other tools they used to diagnose.

Watch already reset and re-paired, and no ECG app to be seen, so they have me on hold. Next step he claims will to be to wipe my iPhone, which I'm 99.9% not going to be doing.

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
I'm expecting it to be a drawn out thing much like my iPhone issue unfolded. I was told if they couldn't figure it out, they'd replace the phone. I sent tons of diagnostic logs over the course of a week, and then once they had those the follow up calls I had been promised never came. I tried to reach back out to the associate who had been helping me, and she never called back, and I ended up speaking to someone else who ultimately said engineering couldn't replicate the issue on any of their devices and that I could either trade the device in (which I did) or deal with it. I'm a really really REALLY patient guy, but they really REALLY tested my nerves -- it took in total about 40 days before I finally gave up and did the trade in at the Apple store, even though they were able each and every time to replicate the issue in store on my device, but had no issues show up with whatever other tools they used to diagnose.

Watch already reset and re-paired, and no ECG app to be seen, so they have me on hold. Next step he claims will to be to wipe my iPhone, which I'm 99.9% not going to be doing.
i dont see how wiping your phone will cause the ecg app to reappear

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
i dont see how wiping your phone will cause the ecg app to reappear
He says that's the next step required to get engineering involved (same spiel as last time). I may repair my S5 and see if it gets the ECG app back but ideally I'd prefer to keep this one.

Last edited:

firewire9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2015
He says that's the next step required to get engineering involved (same spiel as last time). I may repair my S5 and see if it gets the ECG app back but ideally I'd prefer to keep this one.

I also posted over on Reddit, in case anyone else is having the issue -- hopefully, because if they are, then maybe Apple will fix it, I'd hope since this is one of the big things people want the watch for to begin with.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/ivgkm6

Erase your watch and then erase your iPhone. Later setup your iPhone as new using your Apple ID, do not download any backup, pair your watch and try to activate ECG. If it works, something is wrong in your current software or settings in your iPhone. If it doesn’t works, erase everything again, create a new temporary Apple ID and pair it everything. If it works there is something wrong with your Apple ID and you can’t fix it, Apple must do it.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
Erase your watch and then erase your iPhone. Later setup your iPhone as new using your Apple ID, do not download any backup, pair your watch and try to activate ECG. If it works, something is wrong in your current software or settings in your iPhone. If it doesn’t works, erase everything again, create a new temporary Apple ID and pair it everything. If it works there is something wrong with your Apple ID and you can’t fix it, Apple must do it.
I'm just trying to setup my S5 again; the support guy says to try that first and see if it has the ECG app show up again, and that if it does, it's something with the S6. While your suggestion is greatly appreciated, I'm not going to go through all of that all over again. If my S5 has the ECG I then debate whether I want to keep the S6 or not.

Edit: Repaired S5 and sure enough, no ECG app. He's now having me submit diagnostic logs from the iPhone and the S6 so engineering can review. He says it can take up to 7 days before I hear back, and since it's the weekend, it likely won't be until mid/end of next week.

Last edited:

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
I'm just trying to setup my S5 again; the support guy says to try that first and see if it has the ECG app show up again, and that if it does, it's something with the S6. While your suggestion is greatly appreciated, I'm not going to go through all of that all over again. If my S5 has the ECG I then debate whether I want to keep the S6 or not.

Edit: Repaired S5 and sure enough, no ECG app. He's now having me submit diagnostic logs from the iPhone and the S6 so engineering can review. He says it can take up to 7 days before I hear back, and since it's the weekend, it likely won't be until mid/end of next week.
i dont think anything is wrong with your phone or watch its something to do with watch OS 7

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.