ECG Dilemma

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by chiefs1968, Nov 25, 2018.

1. chiefs1968 macrumors regular

On launch day I ordered my Apple watch series 4 44mm SS and was so excited that "later in the year" ECG will be available. Every 6 month's I have a doctor appointment (check up) and this time it falls around the first week of December and this year my doctor will give me a EKG exam and what better way to first try out Apple's ECG and then try and compare it with my Doctor's exam....BUT so far NO ECG from apple and its beginning to piss me off!!

2. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

Don’t make chiefs1968 angry.....you wouldn’t like it if he got angry:

[​IMG]

3. OLDGUYWITHAHIFI, Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI macrumors regular

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Feeling the same way. When Apple does not come through with the hype, it gives off the feeling of a cheesy ad campaign.

BTW, where is the Apple wireless phone charger? It's been a year since they announced Airpower...

4. gwhizkids macrumors 68040

gwhizkids

Hmmm. Announcement made in September 2018. It is November 2018. Seems like Apple still has some room on this one.

They did not say “October” or “November”. They did not say it would be released in time for birds to fly to southern skies or during the Libra sun, or even Halloween.

They said “later this year” which means they have until 11:59:59 pm on 12/31 Pacific Time.

Although you may have personal regrets if Apple does not release this feature at any given time prior to the New Year, I think it’s manifestly wrong to be upset at Apple for breaking a promise they clearly did not make.

5. friednoodles macrumors 6502a

Oh man, one of these threads again. Apple never specified a date and just said later in the year, and the year isn't over. Case closed.

6. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

Guys, come on.....didn't you see the part where he's getting angry??

7. OLDGUYWITHAHIFI, Nov 26, 2018

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

The way I remember it, the feature was announced during the September reveal. All the hype about the new ECG feature was front and center. Many people were excited and bought the watch for that feature alone, to later find out it was not going to be available until "later this year".

Too bad the apologists are giving Apple until the last second of the last day of the year to release a feature they advertised as a main part of the device when it was released.

I find it ironic that people will stand in line, preorder a device the second it is announced, and wait by the door for the UPS truck to arrive, but then give Apple all the time it needs to release an integral feature that was advertised as part of a new product.

8. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

If you follow Apple at all, you know that when they give you a range of time when something is going to be released, the actual release is going to come VERY close to the end of that range. Or, these days, even later. ):

9. oeagleo macrumors 6502

Let's hope not, I mean on 12/31/18, shades of what Suunto people are going through with their updates, and "promised features to come later".. I would think that if they had spoken truthfully at the release, and they did state that it had US Approval, that it would be relatively simple to integrate it into the current watch, given that most of the "back room" work would have had to be done before presenting it to the "ubermeisters" who approve such things at the Federal Level. I sincerely hope they're not waiting for worldwide approval before releasing the update that will provide this functionality, as while it wasn't THE feature that moved me toward the watch, it was certainly one of the main reasons.

10. gwhizkids macrumors 68040

gwhizkids

I am not going to review the transcript, but I am nearly 100% certain that if you watched the keynote, it was stated explicitly that it would be available later in the year. Sure, that could have meant one second after the keynote ended, but if you thought that, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you as well.

As for your situation, wouldn't you rather they get this product right and properly approved, rather than just getting it so you can compare it to your doctor's (likely) more accurate reading? This is not a functionality that I want them getting wrong and I doubt you do, either.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 26, 2018 ---
    I can virtually guarantee you that you're not going to see this on 12/31. That was hyperbole. They do have approval to market the feature, but if I read the approval letter from the FDA correctly, they still had to provide some data as well. The functionality (mechanically) is already in the Series 4 Watch. They just need to flip the switch (or provide the app) to make it work. I'm sure they are more eager than you are to release this feature. But as I said in the other post, isn't this something you'd rather they got right, than rushed to meet an arbitrary deadline?

11. StumpyBloke macrumors 6502

StumpyBloke

Wrong! They announced the watch, ECG feature and the fact that said feature would not be released until later in the year all in the very same Keynote. Please at least get your facts right before spewing such rubbish and insulting so many users on here.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

If it is not ready, Apple will not release it, even if it is after the first of the year.

13. tromboneaholic, Nov 26, 2018

tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

At the keynote, Apple stated on stage it was coming "later this year in the US" and after that (with no timeframe) to other countries.

14. abdulkar.im macrumors 68000

abdulkar.im

Yeah, not as if people were misled, if they'd paid attention to the Keynote/website data they'd know it wasn't coming until later.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What do you mean “later find out”. If they got hyped up from the keynote then they clearly watched where Apple explicitly said it would be enabled later this year too.

16. OLDGUYWITHAHIFI, Nov 26, 2018

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

So you are not sure Apple stated the feature would be available "Later this year" but are able to assume I was wrong and would like to buy a bridge. OK.

Secondly, I expect a product to be released when it is working properly. My recollection of the event was they touted the new feature without mention of a delayed release date or pending approval. I am alluding to hype. Pure and simple. To me hype misleads people and Apple fans make excuses for it.

I love Apple products but there are two things I don't like. Inflated prices, and sensationalist claims that end up hyping a product and leaving people frustrated. Apple does both. It appears in the case I was wrong and apologize for the rant.

17. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Your recollection is incorrect. They specifically discussed FDA clearance and mentioned the feature was coming later this year in the US.

@friednoodles posted the video with a timestamp above.

The information about the app coming later this year was on the Apple Website, and major Apple news sites mentioned this in their articles about Apple Watch.

In fact, there was an article about how Apple didn't receive FDA clearance until the day before the event, which is likely why the app wasn't ready for launch. I can't speak for most people. but everyone I know was happy to get the Apple Watch Series 4 on or around launch, and the ECG app when it is ready.

18. OLDGUYWITHAHIFI macrumors regular

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Got it. Thats why I prefaced it with "The way I remember it". I stand corrected but still feel "later this year" and "by the end of the year" are two different things. Not much time left. We shall see if my rant was "rubbish" or if it comes to pass.

19. gwhizkids macrumors 68040

gwhizkids

No, I was quite sure about the later this year comment. Its just that satisfying you by finding the exact mention wasn't worth it.

You sure come off as an entitled brat in your rants here. Apple says "later this year" with no qualifier at all and you have a temper tantrum because it hasn't happened on your timetable.

If you think Apple products are too expensive, there's an easy solution: don't buy them.

20. OLDGUYWITHAHIFI macrumors regular

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Never said they were too expensive... just overpriced. Look up the meaning of the word value. As far as later this year, two months have passed, I bought the watch, and continue to wait patiently for the app to be released. Not much time left until the end of the year.

I think what you are interpreting as a temper tantrum by an entitled brat is just frustration coming from a big Apple fan. Sorry you took it that way.

21. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502

staggerlee41

It will get here when it gets here. None of the other versions of Watch have the capability so there's that. I'm looking forward to ECG but there is plenty to love about the Series 4 aside from ECG whenever it gets here.

I understand for those with heart conditions, this is incredibly exciting news and something you may very well be looking forward to, thus the frustration. Think of it this way, before it was announced that Watch was going to get this feature, you lived without it right? Again, plenty to love about the Series 4 if you shift focus from this one feature to the others.

22. oeagleo macrumors 6502

Trouble is, that no one has seen fit to define "Later"...

23. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

Let me define it for you: not right now.

24. oeagleo macrumors 6502

LOL, sounds like the standard Apple Answer... (also many other manufacturers)