Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a follow-up to an interview Apple executive Eddy Cue had with CNN senior correspondent Brian Stelter a month ago, the senior vice president of Internet software and services discussed Apple's thoughts on the News app, which launched alongside iOS 9 in September. When asked why Apple decided to turn it into a pre-installed app, Cue offered a look into how Apple determines what constitutes a pre-installed app.

applenews.png

"We've only created the apps that we think everyone uses every day... We really wanted to create a single app that all customers could go to, to read all their news -- no matter what they are interested in, no matter what topics, no matter what publications they want to follow -- and get that experience that they're used to with our products, where it looks beautiful, it's really easy to read and yet it provides all the content available around the world."
Cue goes on to say that Apple believes the app is a "really, really important application for the world," noting that good journalism is important to Apple. News organizations, Cue says, have to worry about creating their own apps, interfaces and user experiences. Apple believes something like the News app can streamline this and help news organizations focus on journalism. Apple believes that the app benefits local news outlets that can't afford to create their own apps. Furthermore, Cue says Apple even thought about how small outfits like upstart news organizations and church newsletters could use News to distribute information.

Apple is also working on a version of the app for China, Cue tells CNNMoney. When asked whether the company is running into censorship problems in the country, Cue says that it's not. Instead, Cue notes that Apple has a "great working relationship" in China and that Apple Music, its App Store and retail stores in the country show that they know how to work in China.

Finally, Cue says that Apple has no plans to hire journalists and create content of their own. Instead, Apple's goal with News is to "empower those journalists to get their content to the right customer."

In late October, Tim Cook said that Apple News had approximately 40 million users. However, Cook didn't reveal whether that number was regular users or customers who had simply checked out the app, making it difficult to determine how many people truly use Apple News. Apple has partnered with dozens of publications for Apple News, including CNN, The New York Times, ESPN and more. To get the latest news and rumors from MacRumors, make sure to add MacRumors to Apple News by clicking this link.

Article Link: Eddy Cue Discusses Why Apple Made a Pre-Installed News App

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
All their news? Can I find Apple Insider and Mac Rumors in the news app? How about KVR Audio? Forums? I don't care about most of the news agencies. I purposely avoid most USA-based stuff in fact. It's totally distorted for politics or selling commercial time slots. This is validated by former proper journalists and newscasters. The real news is dead.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
I've made a conscious effort to avoid it. Twitter, FaceBook, and Safari (ya' know actual news sites) are where I get the majority of my news. Primarily through safari. The News App in my opinion is far too curated (walled) for me. I like seeing as many perspectives as possible.

Wish there was a good way to turn off pre-installed apps. News, Tips, would be the first to go. Everything else I think gets used throughout the week/month, very few daily use apps apart from music, podcasts (another major news source), and video apps.

* having been a hardcore Apple-head since 2000, I've come to the realization, I'm no longer the target consumer-the 'beats' generation is no where close to where I am, and would love the opportunity to turn off certain apple offerings, instead of talking up resources and space.

Addition: I suppose I'm in the target as long as I have a pulse and an active credit card linked to my iTunes account.

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
All their news? Can I find Apple Insider and Mac Rumors in the news app? How about KVR Audio? Forums? I don't care about most of the news agencies. I purposely avoid most USA-based stuff in fact. It's totally distorted for politics or selling commercial time slots. This is validated by former proper journalists and newscasters. The real news is dead.
Appleinsider and Macrumors are there.

I seem to remember selecting KVR Audio too, although I couldn't find it when I searched just now. Perhaps the news outlet has to be a willing participant.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011

The BBC is even worse. Americans tend to have a romaniticized idea that European news is less corrupt. It's the same.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
The BBC is even worse. Americans tend to have a romaniticized idea that European news is less corrupt. It's the same.
I really think that is why so many are getting their news from Facebook and Twitter, seeing it from regular people as opposed to major organizations. The means have definitely changed, like how the Internet killed the newspaper/print, now folks can periscope, or live tweet/stream from the action/event. Press badge not required. How many news articles/stories have accompanying YouTube video shot by random bob?

What happened to skating to where the puck will be?

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area

You can find apple insider, daring fireball and more on the NEWS app

Reactions: Logiarius

vdgroodt

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2014
Belgium
Interesting, i got to say i tuly love the news app. I live in Belgium so it's not availble but i found a jailbreak tweak. I now use it everyday to check all (apple) news in one place.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
What bugs me is that Cue and Apple make themselves sound so benevolent for repackaging and selling other people's work.
It's all about the experience.

It's so much easier to Netflix on AppleTV as opposed to a Wii.

Would have been easier to bring back RSS and put an Apple News App skin on and be able to subscribe to any news outlet, as opposed to the learning News App.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
I really think that is why so many are getting their news from Facebook and Twitter, seeing it from regular people as opposed to major organizations. The means have definitely changed, like how the Internet killed the newspaper/print, now folks can periscope, or live tweet/stream from the action/event. Press badge not required. How many news articles/stories have accompanying YouTube video shot by random bob?

What happened to skating to where the puck will be?

Yes but Facebook is now censoring "terrorist" posts which means any post that tells the truth about who's actually running things.

Reactions: maxsix

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
I think we're naive to think there isn't censoring all over the place.

Remember we all need a safe space.

Safe space lol. Yes definitely censored most places. Even Alex Jones has been outed as working for Stratfor - a private intelligence firm based out of Austin. You can't trust anybody now-a-days.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Yes!

Safari is really amazing-and it has nothing to do with Apple (as far as content, and to an extent the user experience). So many of the Pre-Installed Apps are easily replaced with the Internet, primarily Google. Most of the apps are really basic anyway and there are many third party apps that do a much better job! (Accuweather trounces Apple/yahoo weather all the time here).

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
the problem with the app is too much content so i end up not using it at all cuz there is no end in sight. ill stick to news through my twitter feed

gmcalpin

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Somerville, MA
What bugs me is that Cue and Apple make themselves sound so benevolent for repackaging and selling other people's work.
Your work is only in Apple News if you tell them to put it there. Only idiots offer an RSS feed and then get butthurt when people actually use it… to syndicate your work…

Reactions: PBRsg

zed1291

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
NYC
It may be beautiful or whatever, but Twitter is a far better platform for news aggregation. You follow as many publishers as you like and, with a good client, you can even filter out undesired content in your stream before you even see it.
This is precisely why I don't use Apple News.

Reactions: V.K.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.