EEE PC is a great distraction from MBA and MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dsr1205, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

I got my EEE PC and for 500 dollars (including shipping and xp etc) and now i can do everything a MBA can do short of a few things. And now i can wait around with this thing while i wait for a MBP revamp. Its fun and affordable. The Linux was fine but i had the xp plying around and i simply love it so i installed. Also u can remot desktop to a mac on the eee pc using the linux

2. island macrumors 6502

island

I have one and I can't wait to get rid of it. That screen is 800 x 400 and it's a Celeron.

Enough said.

3. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

Yep, you can do anything with it except type for more than a few minutes at a time, or look at the screen for more than a few minutes. The removable battery it has is moot because I've never been able to use it long enough to drain it. If it doesn't bother you, then you clearly don't use the EEE for anything useful (I.E. making money)

These are vastly different products aimed at different vastly markets, I don't know why EEE fanboys won't stop making these idiotic comparisons.

4. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

The EEE PC doesn't appeal to me at all! Its like an over sized calculator.

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I'd rather spend the extra $500 and pick up a Macbook...or take the $500 and buy a full-sized Windows laptop.

6. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I really think the EEE PC is a great computer for its target audience. It works really well for the basic user and while the screen is tiny, it definitely is usable to me. The one thing I do truly miss is OS X because I'm so familiar with its settings. Linux isn't really for me but for my web browsing and IM'ing it's been great.

7. aiongiant macrumors 6502a

haha i agree LOL

8. PDE macrumors 68020

I checked one out at J&R a few weeks ago and thought it was awful. I love the idea, but it felt terribly cheap (which it is!), poor screen, slow. Two of the units they had the mouse button had fallen off and the others had mouse buttons that felt terribly mushy and uncomfortable to use.

Thought I'd love it when I first saw it, but when I played around with it I didn't like it at all.

But it IS cheap and that's worth something I suppose.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

indeed, apple fans should not be interested in any cheap stuff.

oversized calculator? how?

EEE can't help you making money? why?

hello?

is there any logic in some people's reasoning?

10. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Qualifiers make all the difference!

My Vespa can do everything a Peterbilt can do... short of a few things!!!

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, list them up, please, lets see exactly what eee can, and can NOT do.

12. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

You must be new here. Kidding, I understand your role from prior threads, I'll play along.

eee shortcomings:
    Can't use Mac OS X - That's worth maybe $400
    Can't use iLife - $100
    Can't use iWork - $50
    User experience difference between "Design by Ive" and "Design by Tupperware" - $500
    Actual spec differences (processor, memory, screen, etc.) $1000
    Resale value at end of year two, eee $50, MBA ~~$800, difference $750

Etc. etc. but you already knew all of that.

MBA $2,000

eee $400
    =========
    Difference $1,600
    eee Handicaps $2,800 as detailed above.

eee "costs" $1,200 more than MBA.

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Indeed, such a factual comparison only certain type of mac users can make. Im totally clueless about how to respond. congratulations for the great victory over me.

14. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

can it play games? or does it have an USB port that allows us to transfer game like WOW? since it has only 8 gig of HD space, i assume we cant download alot of stuffs

because if it can, this note book is rocking!

can play WOW anytime, anywhere :D

15. mashoutposse macrumors 6502

Why buy that for $500 when you can get a low-end Dell for the same price that will run circles around it?

16. icecone macrumors regular

why are people comparing an cheap ultraportable notebook with expensive non-ultraportable notebooks?

17. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Again, I understand your role, but if we just said "I'll take measurable spec differences for $1,000 Alex" or "I'll take likely resale difference for $750", they'd be no need to go further.

18. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/list:games
    yes, altho you do need windows XP to run it, and you need to run it from external HD.

EEE has a SD slot, and now a 16G SD card only costs $64.
    yes, indeed, if ultraportability is not an issue. Acer Aspire 3680 only costs $400 now.
    Again, I must say I understand your role here as well. I was simply responding to a discussion about "what eee can, and can NOT do".

Not a discussion about "how much cheaper eventually MBA will be compare to EEE", that doesn't sound like a reasonable discussion to me.

PS. if you just want to say MBA is well worth the $$$ and will eventually be cheaper than EEE. Thats fine with me, I don't agree, but I won't argue about it, just let buyers to decide for themselves.

19. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

wow, to my surprise, it can play HL2 EP2,

i will buy this by this weekend!, because i hate using boot camp alot on my MBP

20. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

the only thing preventing me from buying the eee pc is that its 500 (i wish i had 500 lying around) and the screen is a measly 7". I'm waiting for the next gen version to see how that is. It's going to be like i'm looking through a peep hole compared to my MBP.

but the idea of a cheap ultra portable notebook is pretty cool. I've seen some around school too.

21. .adam macrumors regular

You cannot compare a "missing feature" when a replacement exists in the product you are comparing it against.
    As far as I'm concerned the only valid point you made is of build quality.

22. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

wrong.
    http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2007/11/12654/

Tiger runs pretty good on it. With that, you can get iLife and iWork working i'm sure.

+$550 for the EEE PC.

and i'm confused on the "user experience"...shouldn't that be regarding the OS? And now that you can install OS X that point is null. (+500 for EEE PC). not to mention you can add a lot of things to the EEE PC if you have the technological know how...and the battery is user replaceable.

23. Deanster macrumors regular

I got an Eee over Xmas, with the hopes that it would fill my 'ultra-mobile' slot - more than my iPhone, less than my MacBook.

I have to say, it's one of the more-disappointing products I've come across, and it was a powerful reminder of how accustomed (spoiled) I've become, using products that have been obsessed over, and every little thing taken care of.

The screen is a fine size, but the installed OS uses the space terribly. Everything is full-size for a 'regular' 800x600 or 1024x768 screen, so the menus, dividers, status bars, etc, take up the vast majority of screen real estate. There's ridiculously little space left for my e-mail or the web page I'm reading. Colors are washed out, and the screen is hard to read, but it's tolerable.

The track pad is fine, but the button is TERRIBLE. The keyboard is small, which is fine, but the layout is really hard to use - I'm always hitting the wrong thing, and I've always been one of the people who mocks other people who complain about keyboard layouts. I haven't quite figured out what's wrong, but the delete and return/enter keys are all wrong.

It's SLOW SLOW SLOW. I figured using *nix and SSD, the little thing would be plenty fast, even with a slow proc. Every review also discussed the wonders of 'instant booting' with the Eee. Both dead wrong. I open it up, hit the button and... wait. It's a full 20 seconds from button press to operational, and another 30 beyond that for the Wi-fi to connect to the network. By contrast, my Macbook is ready to work within 5-10 seconds from opening. Even my Dell Inspiron 600m laptop is ready to work faster than the Eee, if you count how long it takes to get the first web page up.

The fan is loud, and spends a fair amount of time on - Given the low clock speed of the proc, and the SSD storage, I just don't understand the need for a fan in general, and one that runs often and hard in particular.

Finally, while it's nice and light, the shape is very chunky, and it's actually thicker than my Macbook, when you include the protruding feet, so it takes up MORE thickness in my backpack. Total volume isn't bad, but I thought it would be considerably thinner.

At $400, I guess I'll keep it, but mostly for when I'm traveling places where I'm concerned about having a laptop stolen, and don't intend to use it often.

I'm totally sold on the lightweight laptop, but using the Eee for a few weeks has me convinced of the absolute brilliance of the MBA. The Eee is an attempt to appeal to what people 'think' they would like - a small, light, cheap, non-Windows laptop that boots quickly.

The MBA actually does those things in ways that are legitimately useful, at least for me. Though not so much with the cheapness.... :D

24. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Huh, seriously? You talking about a cold boot or resuming from sleep? Cos my MBP takes 28 seconds to be logged in and wirelessly connected from a cold boot using Leopard.

If you're actually saying your MacBook boots up in 5-10 seconds then I may have to seriously change my computer ... :D

25. Freyqq macrumors 68040

$400 for a 2 lbs laptop is a good deal..IF YOU NEED IT.

I could see myself taking notes on it in college if i didn't already have a laptop..