Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I think its best you call Apple on this one. My understanding is that unopened, build to order MBP's are also returnable within 14 days for a full refund. People report receiving build to order options on computers they've ordered from the refurbished section of the Apple store. How could that be if Apple didn't take returns from build to order customers?

In short, don't open your computer when you get it and call Apple.

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
OUCH! That would be a huge dagger if you couldn't return it because it was BTO. I never get BTO, because I am impatient and need to be able to walk into the store and get it instantly! Haha.

I hope you are able to return it and get any newer one that may release... Though I hate that my MBP will no longer be the most current. :p

phrint

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Ohio
NO NO NO NO!!!

I am very disappointed !!!

I can't change it to new if I take BTO ????

OP - I feel your pain. But everyone and their mother or wife (mine despises me for obsessing about the update) knows that an update is imminent. All resources say to wait on buying. If you can't return the BTO MBP then enjoy what you have or sell at a loss and get the new one. Know one knows for sure that the updates are hitting tomorrow anyway.

jackinlost

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
My Safari felt snappier after reading this thread... priceless.

I hope future posters asking the old "should I buy now or wait?" are referred to this thread.

Yes, please, let my thread to be the central official one for "I bought in last weeks / few days, but not it is being updated"....

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
NO NO NO NO!!!

No, your options for the BTO route are clearly defined here.
Yes, please, let my thread to be the central official one for "I bought in last weeks / few days, but not it is being updated"....

Your thread is nothing more than an advertisement for the MacRumor's Buyer's Guide. You know the one that said DON'T BUY in RED a week ago?
Screen shot 2010-02-08 at 10.56.13 AM.png

Again though, all of this drama over a machine that doesn't quite exist. That is unless of course you were told that they would be updated by Steve Jobs himself.

jackinlost

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008

Your thread is nothing more than an advertisement for the MacRumor's Buyer's Guide. You know the one that said DON'T BUY in RED a week ago?
View attachment 214001

Again though, all of this drama over a machine that doesn't quite exist. That is unless of course you were told that they would be updated by Steve Jobs himself.

OMG, your link killed me already.

jackinlost

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008

View attachment 214001

So basically what you mean is that if someone ordered BTO macbook pro, it cannot be refunded or returned or changed or anything?

jackinlost

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
I have done the BTO in UK. I think UK has different refund policy which include BTO ones

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I have done the BTO in UK. I think UK has different refund policy which include BTO ones

As you are in the UK you are covered by our excellent (for the purchaser) Distance Selling Regulations. You have a 7-day period in which to examine goods (as you would in a shop). You can return the goods at any point during this period. Of course if you damage the goods you cannot.

There are, unfortunately, exemptions to this. One of them is for "personalised or customised goods". A BTO Mac counts as this so cannot be returned under this legislation.

You signed up to, basically, not being able to return it when you ordered BTO. Apple make this very clear. I know: I've bought BTO Macs in the UK.

jackinlost

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
As you are in the UK you are covered by our excellent (for the purchaser) Distance Selling Regulations. You have a 7-day period in which to examine goods (as you would in a shop). You can return the goods at any point during this period. Of course if you damage the goods you cannot.

There are, unfortunately, exemptions to this. One of them is for "personalised or customised goods". A BTO Mac counts as this so cannot be returned under this legislation.

You signed up to, basically, not being able to return it when you ordered BTO. Apple make this very clear. I know: I've bought BTO Macs in the UK.

what you have said is not necessarily true at least for now.

Attachments

• Capture16.PNG
    Capture16.PNG
    55.4 KB · Views: 146

Denzo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
Australia
NO NO NO NO!!!

Its absolutely killing me that you dont call Apple yourself to ask, but instead choose to talk on a forum waisting time, and not really going to get the definitive answer, really.:(

jackinlost

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
If you're so worried, just cancel the order right now.

I can't cancel it for now because it is my company who ordered this for me. Only if the Apple really updates it tomorrow, I can ask for cancel or replace.

Just being worried today.

apple.net

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2010
So basically what you mean is that if someone ordered BTO macbook pro, it cannot be refunded or returned or changed or anything?

Of course you can. The return policy only says you cannot return personalized iPods, i.e. engraved, and that makes sense.

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
I just wanted to pipe in, Apple is sending me a replacement for my Late '08 MacBook Pro, all the paperwork was done on Friday and it shipped from China today. 2.8GHz BTO with a Matte screen. So it looks like the current ones are still in production.

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2009
Since You took the build-to-order route, your options are limited. You generally cannot return the machine and at some point in the order fulfillment process you'll be prevented from canceling.

While my earlier post was tongue and cheek, there's been no definitive word from apple about tomorrow, next week, next month. While its possible they can update the line tomorrow, there's no way to say for sure.

Either way, enjoy your computer, you ordered it because it was going to satisfy a need, that need hasn't changed so be content and enjoy :D

Uh....you should probably stop spreading information and scaring people. You can return BTO stuff, but you have to send it back to the factory. It cannot be returned to a store. You have the exact same return policy. And apple is typically lenient in regards to the 14 days if a brand new computer came out around then.

SNAKEYES

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
hmmm.

:rolleyes:I just put the order in last fri for a 2.8 15" MBP, I had a quick question though.... what exactly is the details on the refresh and what would it affect? Sorry Im retarted I know; sorry to many years on a PC:rolleyes:

Thanks,
Earl

Yes this is my first post lol

jackinlost

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
:rolleyes:I just put the order in last fri for a 2.8 15" MBP, I had a quick question though.... what exactly is the details on the refresh and what would it affect? Sorry Im retarted I know; sorry to many years on a PC:rolleyes:

Thanks,
Earl

First, Good to know that (red labeled) ;)

Second, I don't know the details too much as well. But I just want the NEWEST ONE !!!!!

Negaiido

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
Eventhough I really want it to refresh tomorrow, my gut says it wont and it probably wont. :p

phrint

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Ohio

Thanks,
Earl

Earl,

Try searching the forum. There are 50 threads on MBP refresh. At this point, it is all speculation about the details of the new MBPs coming out. We all believe the new Intel processors (i5/i7) will be present but outside of that no one knows squat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.