Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I really liked oblivion but I didn’t care for the level scaling of the enemies. Could pretty much go anywhere and the challenge would be the same. Awesome world though and I always liked the demon gates
It’s tricky from a game play standpoint and a compromise. Although it would make zero sense, they could have low mobs where you start the game, and higher mobs as you radiate out from the start point. Or a World of Warcraft with zones that get higher, but in this game it would limit your travels and through quests you do some serious traveling.

Even with scaling some mobs have been more challenging, otherwise why bother upgrading your gear? I remember the first frost spider I fought in the first dungeon (Bleak Falls Barrow). Several melee attempts, it poisoned and killed me. I could only kill it by using a doorway, keeping it between me and it, and using a ranged spell (fire) on it. I’m not sure if this was a boss spider it may have been because it was larger than the frost spiders I have stumbled across out and about. These a couple of whacks, plus having a companion attacking and it’s dead, no muss, no fuss. :D

Reactions: delsoul

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
On the topic of Skyrim SE, in preparation for Starfield I installed Skyrim VR. (As well as going through hell getting mods installed on it. God dammit Todd. I miss the Steam Workshop support so much.)

Man...I forgot how much I loved this game and played it for so long. It has a vibe that cannot be matched. The snowy mountains and forests, the wide vistas, the music. It's just so comfy. Seeing it all in virtual reality is even more incredible, riding the cart through my own eyes and seeing Alduin up close trying to burn me.

No lie, I actually started crying once I escaped Helgan just seeing the mountains through my headset and the music playing.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Huntn and maflynn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
On the topic of Skyrim SE, in preparation for Starfield I installed Skyrim VR. (As well as going through hell getting mods installed on it. God dammit Todd. I miss the Steam Workshop support so much.)

Man...I forgot how much I loved this game and played it for so long. It has a vibe that cannot be matched. The snowy mountains and forests, the wide vistas, the music. It's just so comfy. Seeing it all in virtual reality is even more incredible, riding the cart through my own eyes and seeing Alduin up close trying to burn me.
Totally agree, beautiful, immersive, compelling, some mods install. without issue, and others are hell. i know when I’m just playing versus getting pulled in, and damn it, I like my hand being held. I love seeing a pointer pop up for a quest destination, instead of searching the map for it.

No, it’s not perfect, but it’s close enough, one issue requires some suspension of disbelief.
There is a quest NE of Winterhold, to find an island and retrieve something. This is when some UN-realism hit me. First off thank god for the quest marker. I decided against survival mode, because of no fast travel. (Maybe they should have include a teleportation spell?) I wanted to be forced to wear warm gear in cold climates, but I have yet to see any warm, higher level gear so until I got some dwarve armor I was running around in the blowing snow, tundra in short sleeves (with steel armor). Plus to get to that island, I did not find a way of getting there via walking on ice, and I found no boat, so I swam part of the way in 33 degree water, ha ha, hypothermia anyone? Maybe there is a self warming spell? But since I did not opt for survival, it’s all just pretty atmospheric weather conditions, I don’t even shiver. ;)

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Totally agree, beautiful, immersive, compelling, some mods install. without issue, and others are hell. i know when I’m just playing versus getting pulled in, and damn it, I like my hand being held. I love seeing a pointer pop up for a quest destination, instead of searching the map for it.

No, it’s not perfect, but it’s close enough, one issue requires some suspension of disbelief.
There is a quest NE of Winterhold, to find an island and retrieve something. This is when some UN-realism hit me. First off thank god for the quest marker. I decided against survival mode, because of no fast travel. (Maybe they should have include a teleportation spell?) I wanted to be forced to wear warm gear in cold climates, but I have yet to see any warm, higher level gear so until I got some dwarve armor I was running around in the blowing snow, tundra in short sleeves (with steel armor). Plus to get to that island, I did not find a way of getting there via walking on ice, and I found no boat, so I swam part of the way in 33 degree water, ha ha, hypothermia anyone? Maybe there is a self warming spell? But since I did not opt for survival, it’s all just pretty atmospheric weather conditions, I don’t even shiver. ;)

Not to mention a lot of these modpacks all change the menus and UI, changing it to this generic fantasy paper themed menu when I always liked the original menus more. All I want is to play Skyrim, but in VR. No survival modifications, no changes to menus, just Skyrim, but virtual. That's it. We don't need to reinvent the game into something else. (That comes later :p )

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Not to mention a lot of these modpacks all change the menus and UI, changing it to this generic fantasy paper themed menu when I always liked the original menus more. All I want is to play Skyrim, but in VR. No survival modifications, no changes to menus, just Skyrim, but virtual. That's it. We don't need to reinvent the game into something else. (That comes later :p )
Ok, I don’t see with typical VR controllers how you would play this game in VR. I’ve got 11 buttons programmed in my Skyrim setup and I’ll do it when I have to, but I absolutely hate freezing the action so I can pick something to equip. 🤔

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Ok, I don’t see with typical VR controllers how you would play this game in VR. I’ve got 11 buttons programmed in my Skyrim setup and I’ll do it when I have to, but I absolutely hate freezing the action so I can pick something to equip. 🤔

So here's how Skyrim works with motion controllers by default

The left stick moves you. By default it's set to teleport for the motion sick but you can set it to smooth locomotion in the options if you got your VR legs so you can move as if it was on flat screen.You move in the direction your hand is pointing, but you can change it so it where your face is pointing instead.

Since you yourself are in the game, you don't need a look stick since you can just move your head to look in the direction you want, which frees the other stick for more functions. Push the stick down to crouch, up to jump, and left and right to snap turn.

You interact with things by pressing A. B button opens up your favorites so you can quick switch weapons and magic loadouts. X button opens inventory, and Y button opens the Quest Log/System Menu. Left grip sheathes and unsheathes weapons, while the right grip uses your shout. The Triggers are mainly used for casting spells since melee weapons you can just physically swing, but if you hold the trigger when swinging you do a power attack.

1693250395586.png

When it comes to playing in virtual reality you gotta forget everything you know about controls and remember that YOU are in the game, so some functions you'd do with a button press like reloading a gun or aiming down the sight, you do yourself. Of course there's mods for Skyrim VR to make the controls more immersive, where instead of pressing a button to pick something up, you just pick it up. I ain't doing that of course because I play seated and don't got much space.

But if this is too much, the game does have the option to use a regular gamepad instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: pdoherty

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC

No lie, I actually started crying once I escaped Helgan just seeing the mountains through my headset and the music playing.

Dammit - please stop! I've already purchased Skyrim friggin' three times (original, SE, and Switch), and now you've got me thinking I need to send money to those jackwagons at Bethesda AGAIN. For one title! :p

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Dammit - please stop! I've already purchased Skyrim friggin' three times (original, SE, and Switch), and now you've got me thinking I need to send money to those jackwagons at Bethesda AGAIN. For one title! :p

Maybe you should. You clearly want it.

Listen to your heart. Experience Skyrim in the new frontier of virtual reality. Do it for him.

OIP.Y4CAwd0LvdzNnXvP7Ww8DQHaHE

• Haha
Reactions: Huntn and dmr727

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010

I actually enjoyed it more on PSVR than I did in 2D--I forgot all about this version! I don't have a VR setup anymore, but I did really like goofing around with this game.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I actually enjoyed it more on PSVR than I did in 2D--I forgot all about this version! I don't have a VR setup anymore, but I did really like goofing around with this game.

If a game has a VR version, I will play that over the flat screen version. I always love VR more than flat screen for one reason: Inputs. There's so many new ways to input a command in VR compared to a traditional controller since you yourself are in the game, which is how we got creative titles like Moss.

It's why I always shake my head at the VR/AR naysayers in the forum saying the Apple Vision is gonna flop, because it's clear they never put an HMD on in their life and don't know what VR brings to the table.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Okay this might be a problem. Last night I spent four hours straight playing Skyrim VR, to the point it was rough taking the headset off as I didn't want to leave. After taking the headset off I went to bed, and I had the Skyrim dream of the adventure I just had

I think Todd Howard may be mind controlling me. Help, please.

pop-team-epic-skyrim.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: pdoherty

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
If a game has a VR version, I will play that over the flat screen version. I always love VR more than flat screen for one reason: Inputs. There's so many new ways to input a command in VR compared to a traditional controller since you yourself are in the game, which is how we got creative titles like Moss.

It's why I always shake my head at the VR/AR naysayers in the forum saying the Apple Vision is gonna flop, because it's clear they never put an HMD on in their life and don't know what VR brings to the table.
Apple Vision Pro is $3000, doesn't have any sort of VR controllers (at least at launch and none first party) and from what I heard is really anal about you moving while fully immersed. $3000 is a tall ask for a games machine and is primo super high end PC territory which a tiny minority is willing to shell out for. The lack of controllers means it will be tough to impossible to port certain games and craft certain experiences. Would something like Skyrim work solely on hand gestures and eye tracking? Those hand gestures also have to be PERFECT to be viable.

Right now gaming is VR's reason d'être and the Apple Vision is very not geared towards that. A Quest 2 is a 10th the price, has controllers geared towards gaming with existing games like Beat Saber and stuff like Resident Evil 4 that I honestly can imagine working with hand gestures alone.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Apple Vision Pro is $3000, doesn't have any sort of VR controllers (at least at launch and none first party) and from what I heard is really anal about you moving while fully immersed. $3000 is a tall ask for a games machine and is primo super high end PC territory which a tiny minority is willing to shell out for. The lack of controllers means it will be tough to impossible to port certain games and craft certain experiences. Would something like Skyrim work solely on hand gestures and eye tracking? Those hand gestures also have to be PERFECT to be viable.

Right now gaming is VR's reason d'être and the Apple Vision is very not geared towards that. A Quest 2 is a 10th the price, has controllers geared towards gaming with existing games like Beat Saber and stuff like Resident Evil 4 that I honestly can imagine working with hand gestures alone.

That's what people said about the iPhone too. "It doesn't have physical buttons, how can you write stuff or play games on that." But people designed new input methods and designed games around being able to be played from just a touch screen. The same will be true for the Apple Vision, where VR developers will design VR games to be able to be played with just your hands, eyes, and voice. There's already some games that fully support just hand tracking, such as VRChat and PokerStars VR. Hell Rec Room already confirmed they're coming to visionOS so there's another one right there.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
So here's how Skyrim works with motion controllers by default

The left stick moves you. By default it's set to teleport for the motion sick but you can set it to smooth locomotion in the options if you got your VR legs so you can move as if it was on flat screen.You move in the direction your hand is pointing, but you can change it so it where your face is pointing instead.

Since you yourself are in the game, you don't need a look stick since you can just move your head to look in the direction you want, which frees the other stick for more functions. Push the stick down to crouch, up to jump, and left and right to snap turn.

You interact with things by pressing A. B button opens up your favorites so you can quick switch weapons and magic loadouts. X button opens inventory, and Y button opens the Quest Log/System Menu. Left grip sheathes and unsheathes weapons, while the right grip uses your shout. The Triggers are mainly used for casting spells since melee weapons you can just physically swing, but if you hold the trigger when swinging you do a power attack.

View attachment 2251841

When it comes to playing in virtual reality you gotta forget everything you know about controls and remember that YOU are in the game, so some functions you'd do with a button press like reloading a gun or aiming down the sight, you do yourself. Of course there's mods for Skyrim VR to make the controls more immersive, where instead of pressing a button to pick something up, you just pick it up. I ain't doing that of course because I play seated and don't got much space.

But if this is too much, the game does have the option to use a regular gamepad instead.
I’ve got an Occulus Rift, so I am familiar with the control issue. My primary complaint in Skyrim, on my non-VR setup is when I can’t program a command because I don’t say have enough buttons, I can pause the action, make my choice, and unpause. What might be worse if there was no pause while selection are being made. What I hate about this is that it is not immersive. If I understand what you described, you are doing the same thing but for just about everything as far as equipping weapons or choosing spells or potions. This is what has kept me from adopting VR wholesale. 🤔

An option could be voice command selections using keywords… “heal”, “sword”, ”fire”, “invisible”, or preset configuration 1= shield/sword 🤔

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Okay this might be a problem. Last night I spent four hours straight playing Skyrim VR, to the point it was rough taking the headset off as I didn't want to leave. After taking the headset off I went to bed, and I had the Skyrim dream of the adventure I just had

I think Todd Howard may be mind controlling me. Help, please.

pop-team-epic-skyrim.jpg
I truly know a game has me is when I dream about it. VR would just make that worse. :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That's what people said about the iPhone too. "It doesn't have physical buttons, how can you write stuff or play games on that." But people designed new input methods and designed games around being able to be played from just a touch screen. The same will be true for the Apple Vision, where VR developers will design VR games to be able to be played with just your hands, eyes, and voice. There's already some games that fully support just hand tracking, such as VRChat and PokerStars VR.
I look forward to seeing how games with complex control systems appear when built from the ground up for VR… The truth is that many RPGs, you carry more weapons than is conveniently possible in real life. My thought, voice commands. :)

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I look forward to seeing how games with complex control systems appear when built from the ground up for VR… The truth is that many RPGs, you carry more weapons than is conveniently possible in real life. My thought, voice commands. :)

Generally in VR to handle this kind of thing they implement some skeumorphism which adds immersion. In most VR games you don't have an inventory button. Instead you reach behind you and grab using the grip button and trigger which simulates a hand grabbing motion, and you pull out a backpack that has your inventory in it. Then with your other hand just grab or put in whatever. Simple and immersive.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I’ve got an Occulus Rift, so I am familiar with the control issue. My primary complaint in Skyrim, on my non-VR setup is when I can’t program a command because I don’t say have enough buttons, I can pause the action, make my choice, and unpause. What might be worse if there was no pause while selection are being made. What I hate about this is that it is not immersive. If I understand what you described, you are doing the same thing but for just about everything as far as equipping weapons or choosing spells or potions. This is what has kept me from adopting VR wholesale. 🤔

An option could be voice command selections using keywords… “heal”, “sword”, ”fire”, “invisible”, or preset configuration 1= shield/sword 🤔

Funny you mention that because there is a Skyrim VR mod for exactly that, called Dragonborn Speaks Naturally (as a reference to the Dragon NaturallySpeaking voice dictation software.) It adds voice commands, and even lets you select dialogue options by just reading them, which adds immersion since you yourself are talking to the NPCs.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ok, I got my ass kicked in a dungeon just outside of Windhelm, Morvunskar, that was full of bad mages. It was the mage who kept declaring how good his conjuring skills were, rightfully so :), that shot a barrage of damaging ice clouds and ice shards which come fast. He was fast and his aim was good and his attacks were highly damaging for someone relying mostly on a melee weapon, even if it is bound. My conjured wolf is incredibly weak. Hit it once and it poofs away. Me and my follower Lydia, after several tries defeated him, but dying in a matter of a couple of hits got my attention. Run at him straight on, did not work. While my follower distracted him, a took a circuitous route and once within striking range, my bound sword did the job.

I left that fight with 3 thoughts based on this chosen build, Magic Tank. I need to seriously up my magic resistance by way of enchanting gear, I need to procure some ebony or make some daedric armor, right now I’m using dwarven torso armor. And I need to move my conjuring up to dual atonach level, along with better, more powerful ranged spells for those occasions. 🤔

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Generally in VR to handle this kind of thing they implement some skeumorphism which adds immersion. In most VR games you don't have an inventory button. Instead you reach behind you and grab using the grip button and trigger which simulates a hand grabbing motion, and you pull out a backpack that has your inventory in it. Then with your other hand just grab or put in whatever. Simple and immersive.
But how do you choose from multiple choices?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Funny you mention that because there is a Skyrim VR mod for exactly that, called Dragonborn Speaks Naturally (as a reference to the Dragon NaturallySpeaking voice dictation software.) It adds voice commands, and even lets you select dialogue options by just reading them, which adds immersion since you yourself are talking to the NPCs.
Key words to equip weapons?:)

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010

Yep--I'm ordering VisionPro as soon as the open up orders. I am so excited. I have believed in the magic of VR ever since playing that Batman sim on playstation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.