Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Munkypoo7

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Hanover, MD
I don't see the comp verison on that link, and I don't see where you could use a 20% off coupon.

True, I'm not saying they have everything, or necessarily the lowest price out there, but it's same day / next day shipping, and with Prime Shipping it could arrive at your doorstep within two days.

Also factor in, especially if you're a student, you can use any Amazon gift card credits you've accrued from returning books and what not, so it *could* drop the price even further than that 20%.

The intent of my previous post was just to show other members here that there are other options out there, and an extremely convenient one off of Amazon that is legit :)

BillMc40

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2012
Update

Here is the responce I got from Element:
"
Bill Mc

Element Case Inc. said:

yesterday (1 day, 16 hours ago) [02/03/2012 01:45PM]

Hello Bill,

Thank you for your inquiry with Element Case.

The case is primarily designed "not" to touch the metal edges nor the glass of your iPhone. One good reason is that upon impact (accidental drop), your glass may crack or the impact may damage your iPhone completely. The air gap will help you greatly on these situations.

As for the polycarbonate cap, you will notice that the volume control might not be aligned well with the actual volume control for the iPhone. One of the reason for this is because the Verizon/Sprint phones have slight differences from the AT&T iPhone. It's very small but we try to accommodate both phones in our design.

Let me know if you are having any other issues I can be of assistance with."

From the RF Poly Insert to the top of the iphone you can clearly see the antenna band. I guess I have 30days to got this to my satisfaction. I just feel for 150.00 it should be perfect. Itsis a phone bumper.
BillMc

I hate to say this but, after looking at this case and then my son looking at it again, I couldn't live with it. RF atenna insert is pressed in to far and not straight. I call EC customer service and sent pictures again. They have finally agreed it is not right. They are sending a return label and then will send me a new case. They have also said they will inspect the new case to make sure it is perfect.this poart of the responce"photo shows me that the bridge is not aligned."
So I am getting this orginal ready to ship back. I hope the second time is a great one!
BillMc

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
but what about e13ctron?

hi guys, i was going back and forth on deciding the vapor, but then, i saw a few posts on this thread about legitimate e13ctrons which are more in the $80 range and they seem to be better (it was like opening up my mind and not everything is vapor, there are in fact better/cheaper non-fake cases out there).

e13ctron is also aluminim CNCced from a single block and anodized like Vapor...but here is the kicker, no stupid foam or rubber stickers to deal with..ththeir design is truly intuitive with a plastic-gasket insert that suspends the phone in the middle..as a result, better uniformity, no signal loss (minimal) and you dont see the steel lining of the iPhone which you do with vapor....
I tink Im gonna go for e13ctron, unless someone here can please chime in and say why Vapor pro is better for $50 more?

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
hi guys, i was going back and forth on deciding the vapor, but then, i saw a few posts on this thread about legitimate e13ctrons which are more in the $80 range and they seem to be better (it was like opening up my mind and not everything is vapor, there are in fact better/cheaper non-fake cases out there).

e13ctron is also aluminim CNCced from a single block and anodized like Vapor...but here is the kicker, no stupid foam or rubber stickers to deal with..ththeir design is truly intuitive with a plastic-gasket insert that suspends the phone in the middle..as a result, better uniformity, no signal loss (minimal) and you dont see the steel lining of the iPhone which you do with vapor....
I tink Im gonna go for e13ctron, unless someone here can please chime in and say why Vapor pro is better for $50 more?

I saw the e13ctrons before I bought my Vapor Pro and honestly, I just don't like how the e13ctrons look. Personal preference.

By the way, I have no signal loss and I don't see the steel lining that isn't meant to be seen. Also, I paid a lot less than $150 for mine. :D

Boston Rhett

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2012
DC

I know this is the Vapor thread, but since you brought up e13ctron I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

I have an e13ctron (the all aluminum, not the hybrid) and I absolutely love it. I get very little signal loss, the case really conforms to the shape of the phone and isn't bulky at all, and it feels great in hand. The best part: customization. With all the different colors, you can really design a case you'll love. Also there's a 15% discount code that'll knock the price down to the $60-$75 range depending on whether you get the hybrid or the all-aluminum. So in effect, you could get a full e13ctron case, plus two additional tops/bottoms for color variety, for about the same price that you would pay for one Vapor case (maybe even a little less).

I don't own a Vapor (though I'd really like to haha), so I'm not in a position to compare it to the e13ctron. All I can say is that I love my e13ctron and if you're looking for a high quality aluminum bumper that isn't as expensive as Vapor's stuff, then you should go for it.

Mr. Scott

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2011

I have two Vapor Pros from Element and I have had two Vapor Pro copies from China. The rubber inserts that insulate the case from the antenna band all came installed properly on all four cases. All four cases fit great with no movement of the phone in the case. The gap between the case and the phone was uniform on all the cases. You can notice the stainless silver antenna band in the gap on a black phone with a black case, but it is very subtle, like the silver buttons, the silver speaker/mic, and the silver lettering/apple on the back of the phone. On a white or black phone with a silver case you don't notice it at all.

In short, I have had no problems with the fit or function of my Vapor Pro after nearly 6 months of use, so I think it really comes down to which look you prefer. Personally I would much rather have the small "gap" on the Vapor Pro over the six exposed screw heads on the front of the e13ctron.

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
I know this is the Vapor thread, but since you brought up e13ctron I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

I have an e13ctron (the all aluminum, not the hybrid) and I absolutely love it. I get very little signal loss, the case really conforms to the shape of the phone and isn't bulky at all, and it feels great in hand. The best part: customization. With all the different colors, you can really design a case you'll love. Also there's a 15% discount code that'll knock the price down to the $60-$75 range depending on whether you get the hybrid or the all-aluminum. So in effect, you could get a full e13ctron case, plus two additional tops/bottoms for color variety, for about the same price that you would pay for one Vapor case (maybe even a little less).

I don't own a Vapor (though I'd really like to haha), so I'm not in a position to compare it to the e13ctron. All I can say is that I love my e13ctron and if you're looking for a high quality aluminum bumper that isn't as expensive as Vapor's stuff, then you should go for it.

Thx for your 2 cents!!!! I will use them :))))))

stcizzle

macrumors regular
May 20, 2011
NH, USA
Hi everyone... I'm contemplating buying another one of these. I had a Vapor Pro White Edition and a Vapor Pro Chroma in Pink one for my wife. I really liked how my wife's was anodized and I got rid of the white one cuz it scratched really easily even without dropping it-I didn't realize at the time that aluminum can't be anodized in white lol (duh)

MY QUESTION IS.... if I opt to get a silver one with the clear polymer bridge, I can't seem to find any difference between the Chroma and the Spectra in Silver, but there is a $20 price difference. (I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE BACK ADHESIVE PIECES BECAUSE I DON'T USE THEM, I JUST USE THE BUMPER and I don't understand why $20 difference if it's just the colored backing that's different)

The only difference in the description I see is that the Spectra is a "6061 Aluminum frame" and the Chroma is a "bead blasted alloy frame"

Could someone please explain to me the difference between the two, cuz $20 extra dollars isn't cheap for these cases, but after buying everything from the Apple bumper to the Incipio Feathers to the BookBook to the Tiger Design Blade and the Vapor Comp which sucked, the Vapor Pro is definitely my favorite case of choice.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Last edited:

chiaster

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
Hi everyone... I'm contemplating buying another one of these. I had a Vapor Pro White Edition and a Vapor Pro Chroma in Pink one for my wife. I really liked how my wife's was anodized and I got rid of the white one cuz it scratched really easily even without dropping it-I didn't realize at the time that aluminum can't be anodized in white lol (duh)

MY QUESTION IS.... if I opt to get a silver one with the clear polymer bridge, I can't seem to find any difference between the Chroma and the Spectra in Silver, but there is a $20 price difference. (I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE BACK ADHESIVE PIECES BECAUSE I DON'T USE THEM, I JUST USE THE BUMPER and I don't understand why $20 difference if it's just the colored backing that's different)

The only difference in the description I see is that the Spectra is a "6061 Aluminum frame" and the Chroma is a "bead blasted alloy frame"

Could someone please explain to me the difference between the two, cuz $20 extra dollars isn't cheap for these cases, but after buying everything from the Apple bumper to the Incipio Feathers to the BookBook to the Tiger Design Blade and the Vapor Comp which sucked, the Vapor Pro is definitely my favorite case of choice.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Hi, the Spectra's finishing is brushed aluminium. You get a smooth surface that has a bit of a gloss to it. The Chroma's finishing is "bead blasted" meaning to say that there is more of a "tactile" feel to it. Something like very fine sandpaper with a matte finish. I have a Vapor Comp Stealth and the finishing is as per the Chroma's. Hope this helps. Cheers.

stcizzle

macrumors regular
May 20, 2011
NH, USA
Hi, the Spectra's finishing is brushed aluminium. You get a smooth surface that has a bit of a gloss to it. The Chroma's finishing is "bead blasted" meaning to say that there is more of a "tactile" feel to it. Something like very fine sandpaper with a matte finish. I have a Vapor Comp Stealth and the finishing is as per the Chroma's. Hope this helps. Cheers.

I'm assuming they're both anodized. But which is more durable and scratch resistant!? Which is better in your opinion? The chroma im assuming? Thanks for your help.

Bromerz

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2012
Well I finally ordered my red vapor comp today. managed to find it for £55 ($86) delivered from BMCDigital which is one of Element Case authorised UK resellers listed on their website. They got new stock in for the comp cases and selling them for £55 rather than £70.

Did want a comp stealth but can't get one without ordering direct from element and after import tax etc I'd be paying roughly £95 and for me the stealth is not worth an extra £40 and a much longer wait.

chiaster

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
I'm assuming they're both anodized. But which is more durable and scratch resistant!? Which is better in your opinion? The chroma im assuming? Thanks for your help.

Go with the Chroma. The bead blasting will last you longer and it doesn't scratch at all. I've had my phone fly across the floor from a bed and the case turned up without a scratch/dent. You can simply wipe the case off your clothes and it looks as good as new. Every time. :)

----------

Well I finally ordered my red vapor comp today. managed to find it for £55 ($86) delivered from BMCDigital which is one of Element Case authorised UK resellers listed on their website. They got new stock in for the comp cases and selling them for £55 rather than £70.

Did want a comp stealth but can't get one without ordering direct from element and after import tax etc I'd be paying roughly £95 and for me the stealth is not worth an extra £40 and a much longer wait.

That's a great price for the Comp. :) it costs around 130usd and 160usd for the Comp and the Stealth respectively here in Singapore. Enjoy your purchase! But I highly recommend the Stealth (or any of their cases that are bead blasted). :)

Bromerz

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2012
That's a great price for the Comp. :) it costs around 130usd and 160usd for the Comp and the Stealth respectively here in Singapore. Enjoy your purchase! But I highly recommend the Stealth (or any of their cases that are bead blasted). :)

Yeah, like i said i was tempted by the stealth but being UK means i would have to order direct from the EC website. Even with the 20% off it would still cost me about £95 after customs adds the import fees. I do like the color scheme on the stealth but when its almost twice the price as i got my red comp for when i wont use the extras included i cant justify it.

Then theres the delivery turn around, i ordered mine yesterday and its been dispatched and hopefully should be here tomorrow, whereas with element id probably have to wait 2 weeks + due to the international.

chiaster

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
Yeah, like i said i was tempted by the stealth but being UK means i would have to order direct from the EC website. Even with the 20% off it would still cost me about £95 after customs adds the import fees. I do like the color scheme on the stealth but when its almost twice the price as i got my red comp for when i wont use the extras included i cant justify it.

Then theres the delivery turn around, i ordered mine yesterday and its been dispatched and hopefully should be here tomorrow, whereas with element id probably have to wait 2 weeks + due to the international.

in terms of performance, it'll be great... the full length of polycarbonate ensures you don't lose any signal at all... hope your case arrives sooner than later... cheers... :)

Bromerz

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2012
in terms of performance, it'll be great... the full length of polycarbonate ensures you don't lose any signal at all... hope your case arrives sooner than later... cheers... :)

Well it arrived today and I was excited to receive it.

Though that was short lived. Despite the case being from one of element cases 'authorised retailers' I've noticed some discrepancies between what I have received and what others describe.

Firstly the Speed Wrench is silver not the black silver ive read the comp comes with. Secondly the suede back piece was on a clear backing that is over sized not the white I've seen in unboxings of the comp. Finally, and this is the kicker, the screen shield package is below what I expected and had no branding on the squeegee card and the actual selephane it was in has a tiny gold sticker saying 'made in china'.

All in all I'm pretty pissed off as you can imagine, I would have expected it had I ordered from somebody not on the authorised retailers but to get what I believe is a fake from one of them is a joke.

I've already emailed element case to say I believe I have received a fake from one of their authorised retailers and described why. As soon as they confirm that it is indeed a fake I will be requesting a full refund from the company I bought it from.

EDIT I've also just noticed that where the plastic cap meats the aluminium frame isn't quite flush, the plastics cut at a diagonal and is shorter than the aluminium but this might just be where it's not on tight enough,

Either way I've taken it off my phone and put it all back in the packaging.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.