Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Which means it's also going to be a nightmare for someone who possesses your item to disable it by simply taking out the battery.

Four screws is hardly a nightmare for something you do once a year.

It's a nightmare to put that amount of effort to keep *many* AirTags scratch proof considering it's only a $29 item.

If a thief stole your backpack and found an AirTags, they would just flush it down the toilet or throw it out the car window. Don't know why they would feel the need to unscrew it.

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
For anyone that missed it, they now list 4 purchase options:
1 - $12.95
3 - $29.95
4 - $39.95
8 - $74.95

They probably got some pushback on the hot dog buns....

Reactions: Ntombi

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
by your logic, looks like we gotta put cases around our shoes, cases around our AirPods, cases around our Apple Watches, cases around our backpacks. because since all of those things cost more and are more important than a $29 device, we should case those up too, right?

no. because that would be a NIGHTMARE. ?‍♂️

JFC, that is such a stupid take. we're done. ?

idk, who jfc is. but lmfao, 4 screws being someone trust fund babies' "nightmare" suddenly translates to the notion that...every product we have should be encased?

i think you need a therapist.

you do understand that this product *requires* something to carry it in, yes? it's not just going to hover adjacent to someone's keys.

i'm not sure what the expense of a product has to do with this particular device's requirement for an accessory. perhaps you have great difficulties in understanding the english language, because absolutely none of your comment has anything to do with what i was talking about.

Reactions: PC_tech

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
It's a nightmare to put that amount of effort to keep *many* AirTags scratch proof considering it's only a $29 item.

If a thief stole your backpack and found an AirTags, they would just flush it down the toilet or throw it out the car window. Don't know why they would feel the need to unscrew it.
If they don't unscrew it, how are they gonna even know there's a tag inside? They may think it's just a cool looking key fob unless it starts making noise.

I'm crazy rough with my all my gear and often caught out in torrential rain - I'm exactly the type of person this case is aimed at.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
If they don't unscrew it, how are they gonna even know there's a tag inside? They may think it's just a cool looking key fob unless it starts making noise.

I'm crazy rough with my all my gear and often caught out in torrential rain - I'm exactly the type of person this case is aimed at.
If you get this, make sure you put in for a vacation day a year from now so you have time to take out the four screws to replace the battery and then put the four screws back in. It's pretty labor intensive , you know.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014

If they know what an AirTag or a Tile is, they will have a good guess on what this case is for.

AirTags are water resistant rated at IP67 which handles rain fine without the case.

Only reason to get this over other airtag holders is for scratch proofing which i reckon is not necessary for a $29 product.

and 1989 others

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2016
Its all very well having a super rugged case, but it is then attached with a standard key ring. Thats the weakest point.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

That might be a blessing, since a theif would be less likely to disable it. Could buy you precious time to get a good location.

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
That might be a blessing, since a theif would be less likely to disable it. Could buy you precious time to get a good location.
My point exactly.
If they know what an AirTag or a Tile is, they will have a good guess on what this case is for.

AirTags are water resistant rated at IP67 which handles rain fine without the case.

Only reason to get this over other airtag holders is for scratch proofing which i reckon is not necessary for a $29 product.
The primary reason I'd buy it is because it does not look like an Airtag. Also Apple are known not to honor water damage on their IP67 devices under warranty either, which is just an added bonus.

Second, they are more reasonably priced that Apple's and on par price-wise with Belkins offerings.

I just don't see what's not to like unless you want everyone to know you have an Airtag and it makes you cool ?

Reactions: Phone Junky

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
The primary reason I'd buy it is because it does not look like an Airtag. Also Apple are known not to honor water damage on their IP67 devices under warranty either, which is just an added bonus.

Second, they are more reasonably priced that Apple's and on par price-wise with Belkins offerings.

I just don't see what's not to like unless you want everyone to know you have an Airtag and it makes you cool ?

Again, if a thief knew what a tile is or an airtag is, they would know what this round keychain with seemingly no purpose does. If they didn't know what a tile or airtag is, they would either ignore it or throw it away, the same outcome as if they didn't know what this elevationlab case is.

And paying 44% premium to protect it from water damages where Apple doesn't cover despite it being IP67 already probably isn't a good investment IMO.

The price and effort is not worth the value of the product. I don't care what my products look like.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Protective about what? People should review their relationship with gadgets. It’s amazing for me the market of covers, protectors, shields…what’s the purpose? What’s the purpose of a case for AirPods? Why protect a tag? A disposable product, like any other thing manufactured these days.
I agree that a lot of people go overboard in protecting random items, but I take issue with your last point.

Airtags aren’t disposable in the way so many items are nowadays. It has a user-replaceable battery (with batteries that are easily accessible and inexpensive!), and seems designed to last for several years. We should be encouraging such design from Apple.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I agree that a lot of people go overboard in protecting random items, but I take issue with your last point.

Airtags aren’t disposable in the way so many items are nowadays. It has a user-replaceable battery (with batteries that are easily accessible and inexpensive!), and seems designed to last for several years. We should be encouraging such design from Apple.

Allowing them to get scratched up isn’t going to prevent them for functioning for those years.

Black Belt

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
California
It’s a good price and protects the whole thing. I’d rather have this than the way more expensive Apple case with barely any leather in it or the myriad of fake leather Polyurethane advertising as “genuine leather” on Amazon. After a week all of them will look like sh%t. No thanks.

Reactions: PC_tech and deevey

GasmanC

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2021
The reason I’m getting this case is because of the easily accessible button battery. My toddler can work out how to take out the battery. Funnily enough, he’s not quite so good at unscrewing 4 tiny screws.

I’m waiting for the first lawsuit because of a child swallowing a button battery from an AirTag attached to parents keys.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
The reason I’m getting this case is because of the easily accessible button battery. My toddler can work out how to take out the battery. Funnily enough, he’s not quite so good at unscrewing 4 tiny screws.

I’m waiting for the first lawsuit because of a child swallowing a button battery from an AirTag attached to parents keys.
For the folks that have children, PLEASE make yourselves aware of this.
F360F4B8-6F55-4D4E-BC52-ADA3F9E9F2BA.png

If you keep spare batteries in your house for emergencies, you owe it to yourself to at least read about these.

philpalmiero

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2010
NOVA
Protective about what? People should review their relationship with gadgets. It’s amazing for me the market of covers, protectors, shields…what’s the purpose? What’s the purpose of a case for AirPods? Why protect a tag? A disposable product, like any other thing manufactured these days.
I agree. However, I’d love to have just 1% of the apple products covers, cases, and protectors market in my bank account.

• Haha
Reactions: diego.caraballo

Ash Pole

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Ordered several in May and have received nothing since. Owner offers lots of excuses but no shipping date. Have requested a refund which I'm waiting on. Furthermore, the design, texture, color etc. has changed since it was initially offered.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
For the folks that have children, PLEASE make yourselves aware of this.
View attachment 1769939

If you keep spare batteries in your house for emergencies, you owe it to yourself to at least read about these.
These apparently MAY NOT work in the AirTags, depending on where the coating is placed and where the contacts are in the AirTags.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.