Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tesla CEO Elon Musk took to Twitter today to criticize Apple's App Store fees in a tweet that sides with Epic in the ongoing Epic v. Apple dispute.

app-store-blue-banner.jpg

"Epic is right," wrote Musk, before going on to call Apple's App Store fees a "de facto global tax on the Internet."

Musk earlier this week made veiled comments about App Store fees, but today's statement is a much more direct criticism.

During Tesla's earnings call, Musk said that Tesla was planning to let other companies use its charger network because Tesla does not want to "create a walled garden" and use that to "bludgeon" competitors. Musk said that this is a tactic used by "some companies," and then he fake coughed and said "Apple."

Epic Games launched a major dispute with Apple in August 2020, defying the App Store rules and getting popular game Fortnite removed from the App Store. After that, Epic Games launched a planned lawsuit to call out Apple's App Store fees and restrictions.

Apple and Epic Games went to trial earlier this year, and we're waiting to hear the outcome. Epic Games is aiming for alternate app store or app loading options, while Apple wants to maintain the status quo.

Musk has clashed with Apple over the years due to employee poaching issues, but this is the first time he's directly spoken out about Apple's App Store policies. Tesla does not have a paid app in the App Store and is not impacted by fees.

Musk also took to Twitter today to deny claims that he'd once asked to be the CEO of Apple. A new book says that Musk once called Cook about a potential Apple acquisition of Tesla. The book claims that Musk asked to be CEO of Apple, at which point Cook said "F-- you" and hung up the phone.

According to Musk, he has never spoken or written to Cook, and while there was one point where he requested a meeting with Cook about a potential acquisition, Cook refused to meet. Cook has also said that he has never spoken with Musk.

Article Link: Elon Musk: Apple's App Store Fees Are a 'De Facto Global Tax on the Internet'

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildkraut

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
Says the guy who promotes crypto scams that have high volatility, high level criminal manipulation, high carbon footprint, high fees, high level of scams.

I would say more but politics not allowed and I got suspended for it accidentally a few times. All I can say is that Musk and friends are highly unhinged people and if you know their agenda then you’ll vomit and how people could conspire to commit so much evil.

Don’t believe his stories that he is autist or doesn’t want to be CEO. He says these things to dodge criticism of his behavior. The auto industry has always been very corrupt and makes the chiefs very dishonest and mad. Just look at Henry Ford’s far right anti-semitism and John DeLorean’s crimes.

Last edited:

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
Surprise, surprise--the guy who can't seem to figure out QC on his own products thinks he can run Apple better than Apple can. I guarantee you that if/when Apple ever does create a car, they will not use cheap-o paper thin paint or forget to bolt things together. For example--like, the entire top of the car, Elon. You forgot to screw on the entire top of the car.

DominusNovus

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2007
I like Elon, but he does run his mouth off a lot. As a consumer, I vastly prefer Apple’s way of doing things. I have other options if I want to use them.

Comparing using Tesla chargers for other brands (a good thing) is backwards: ask Musk if he’s okay with Tesla owners charging their cars on anyone’s chargers, rather than the other way around.

DoogH

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
I like Elon, but he does run his mouth off a lot. As a consumer, I vastly prefer Apple’s way of doing things. I have other options if I want to use them.

Comparing using Tesla chargers for other brands (a good thing) is backwards: ask Musk if he’s okay with Tesla owners charging their cars on anyone’s chargers, rather than the other way around.
Teslas can use non-Tesla chargers. And super chargers will soon be able to charge non-Teslas.

Ceviche Lover

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2012
Says the guy who promotes crypto scams that have high volatility, high level criminal manipulation, high carbon footprint, high fees, high level of scams.

I would say more but politics not allowed and I got suspended for it accidentally a few times. All I can say is that Musk and friends are highly unhinged people and if you know their agenda then you’ll vomit and how people could conspire to commit so much evil.

What crypto scams would those be exactly? The real scam is Apple trying its hardest not to allow a small business to repair your IPhone, or not allowing 3rd party payment integrations all under the guise of 'user safety'. What a joke.

DoogH

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
It’s a tax. If you want to deliver an app to the 40% of the US that uses the iPhone, you must pay the tax.

Businesses have no choice. That’s anti-competitive, because they can’t go to someone else if they want to reach that portion of the population.

Walled gardens decrease competition, raise prices, and ultimately result in slower advancement of technology. They are not good and we shouldn’t defend them.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Walled gardens decrease competition, raise prices, and ultimately result in slower advancement of technology. They are not good and we shouldn’t defend them.

Completely agree.
I think in Apple land it just confuses people.

The inside of the walled garden can be very comfortable (until it is not - and by then it's too late)

It also requires thought to recognize how much we don't get - what never gets thought of or made - due to monopolization, control, concentration of all talent, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.