Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple satellite partner Globalstar is paying Elon Musk's SpaceX to launch new satellites that will be used to update the communication network for the Emergency SOS via Satellite iPhone feature, reports Nola.

Emergency-SOS-Satellite-YouTube.jpeg

Globalstar will pay SpaceX $64 million according to the details of the arrangement, which were disclosed in an SEC filing. Payments will be made from 2023 to 2025, which is when SpaceX plans to launch the satellites.

Apple introduced Emergency SOS via Satellite last year alongside the new iPhone 14 models. The technology allows the iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, and iPhone 14 Pro Max to contact emergency services when no WiFi or cellular connection is available.

Globalstar is Apple's partner for the initiative, handling the satellites that allow the feature to function. Apple at launch said that Emergency SOS via Satellite would be free for two years, and so far has not provided insight into what it might eventually cost.

The $64 million that Globalstar is paying SpaceX is likely just a fraction of the cost of running the satellites, and that cost is being passed along to Apple, so it stands to reason that Apple will eventually be charging at least a small fee for those who want to use the SOS option.

Globalstar has agreed to allocate 85 percent of its current and future network capacity to Apple's iPhones, with Globalstar providing and maintaining all personnel, software, satellite systems, and more, while also maintaining minimum quality and coverage standards. Prior to when the iPhone 14 models launched, Globalstar bought $327 million worth of satellite equipment from a Canadian company, with Apple loaning Globalstar $252 million.

Emergency SOS via Satellite is available in the United States, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, the UK, Austria, Belgium, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand, and Portugal.

Article Link: Elon Musk's SpaceX to Launch Satellites for Apple's Emergency SOS Feature on iPhones

LambdaTheImpossible

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2023
This is really a stupid feature if you ask me. If you're putting yourself into a situation where you need emergency communications buying an Iridium phone or beacon is a far far better idea. I suspect this might put people off a safety conscious decision because there is some assumption they can fall back on the iPhone, which is extremely difficult to use in this mode I understand, you know when you're injured or incapacitated.

Casual stuff, you might be lucky...

hortod1

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
This is really a stupid feature if you ask me. If you're putting yourself into a situation where you need emergency communications buying an Iridium phone or beacon is a far far better idea. I suspect this might put people off a safety conscious decision because there is some assumption they can fall back on the iPhone, which is extremely difficult to use in this mode I understand, you know when you're injured or incapacitated.

You’re free not to use it.

PixelsMaster

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

Driving in/through some rural areas kicks my phone into SOS satellite mode. I don’t see how purchasing a satellite phone and plan is a far better idea, unless I’m missing something.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
SpaceX advertises that a Falcon 9 launch costs $52M.
Globalstar will pay SpaceX $64 million according to the details of the arrangement, which were disclosed in an SEC filing. Payments will be made from 2023 to 2025, which is when SpaceX plans to launch the satellites.
so SpaceX regularly shoots satellites up for for StarLink, wonder whether this will be using StarLink or another type of satellite ...

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2022
Good stuff, I hope it doesn't translate to major price increases for the iPhone down the line. I think people should have specialized gear to rely on for emergency situations e.g. garmin inReach.

Edit: What's so unpopular about this take? I am under the impression that, sometimes, Apple heavily invests in features that all Apple users collectively pay for, but which will never leave the anglosphere (or a group of bigger countries). Even if the features end up being subscriber-only, we've probably already contributed in research and development, maybe some physical phone parts etc. One could argue: let's all pay something extra, so that some people have an extra safety measure. I'd be in favor of that. I'd just like it to be perfectly clear on Apple's side: here's a feature that you are paying for (like for Musk's satellites), that you'll never be able to make use of. Or just make everything available everywhere, which I know is very hard to do. I am still bitter about not being able to use Apple News.

Last edited:

@Brett

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2016
About a year ago, T-Mobile and SpaceX announced "Coverage Above and Beyond" -- offering messaging service everywhere in continental US, Hawaii, and parts of Alaska, to be launched this year.

I am not sure what the progress is, if any, but that sounds more promising that Emergency SOS.
Big difference between announced and implemented. Even Android is jumping on this boat now. Fact is it’s proven itself to work by saving peoples lives already. All in one device.

roar08

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008

All the people —and their families — whose lives have been saved since its release probably agree with you.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021

Iridium's remaining network is a joke - which is why Qualcomm partnered with them, so they can ride in the clown car together.

poseidondev

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2015

Like with cameras, the best satellite phone is the one you have with you.

I’ve tested out the demo function a few times, which has you actually connect with a satellite without sending any messages, and it’s pretty easy despite perhaps not being as powerful as a dedicated device.

As such it’s a great addition for people who would otherwise find themselves unprepared in a difficult situation, and it’s puzzling to me that people would argue against having this feature available.

E.g. the lady in this story could’ve survived if her phone had this feature.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
elon haters going to boycott iphones now? lol imagine being this angry at elon

going to be a sad future for those people when elon products are everywhere
Elon to this day uses an iPhone. Teslas have Apple Music now with an Apple designed GUI, despite not having CarPlay. I don't know why people are up in arms about this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.