Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keymaster

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2003
this is hilarious.

denying people (especially a certain country) who really need access to high speed internet because you didn't like seeing things fly around is stupid IMO.

spacex already dampened the reflections off of their satellites anyways. not really a big issue to astronomers.

i can't honestly take you seriously about the other points. it sounds like you're just restating what other media has falsely fed you.

As a professional astronomer, I can tell you that you are wrong. It actually is a big issue for astronomers, especially those of us working with large fields of view...we get Starlink and other satellites in the images all the time, and sometimes they trash our data. SpaceX has tried to make changes, but they haven't done that much good (at least they aren't as easily visible by eye anymore), and they really could have done more if they thought about the design ahead of time. You're wrong to think SpaceX solved the problem, they did not despite what they may have said.

Satellite internet really is going to be a great thing, but we're sacrificing science in exchange, and no one really had any say in that until the first set of satellites were launched and people did an analysis of their effects.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
My bet is that it will be free with new phones for a year, available as part of Apple One, and/or be available as a single subscription for a few bucks a month.

Just a guess, but having it as part of Apple One just adds value there.
I’d add the caveat that you would be able to always use the feature for a one time charge of $##.99, so you would never be with emergency service. The negative PR Apple would get for someone dying in the mountains with a phone capable or calling for help but couldn’t because they didn’t pay would be outrageous. It’s like the stories of firefighters letting houses burn down because they didn’t pay a fee.

Reactions: Bobcat32

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but SpaceX is the only functioning space program capable of launching in the US in 2023, right? NASA will be back to having launch capabilities to replace the Space Shuttle, but that is still several years away.

Apple Fan 2008

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2021
Florida, USA 🇺🇸
This is really a stupid feature if you ask me. If you're putting yourself into a situation where you need emergency communications buying an Iridium phone or beacon is a far far better idea. I suspect this might put people off a safety conscious decision because there is some assumption they can fall back on the iPhone, which is extremely difficult to use in this mode I understand, you know when you're injured or incapacitated.

Casual stuff, you might be lucky...
What about the people who's lives were saved by this?

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
I'm looking forward to when the service will be expanded to allow non-emergency texting, even if in small volumes, like Garmin inReach has. Really nice way to keep in touch when you're out adventuring.

jole

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2004
USA
About a year ago, T-Mobile and SpaceX announced "Coverage Above and Beyond" -- offering messaging service everywhere in continental US, Hawaii, and parts of Alaska, to be launched this year.

I am not sure what the progress is, if any, but that sounds more promising that Emergency SOS.

When/if this eventually launches, it will be an exclusive killer feature luring many to T-mobile.

Until then, the dream lives in "Elon-time".

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Exactly my point!

Incidentally ask yourself if it works on the Isle of Man or Isle of Wight...
Why should I ask myself, when I can ask Apple.
Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 8.03.30 PM.png
An emergency system is no good if there are so many constraints on the operation of it.

Seems like most of the constraints are in your mind.

jole

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2004
USA
I'm looking forward to when the service will be expanded to allow non-emergency texting, even if in small volumes, like Garmin inReach has. Really nice way to keep in touch when you're out adventuring.

Just charge based on use (like InReach) and the volume will not be a problem. If there is too much traffic, expanding constellation pays itself.

Reactions: poorcody

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Apple would be doing themselves a favour by just absorbing the cost of the service into the price of the phone. Can you imagine the negative publicity if someone actually croaked out in the wilderness because they didn’t pay the subscription? Infinite reputational damage would ensue. Tens of millions of dollars is a lot of money to you and me, but it’s nothing in the grand scheme of things for Apple.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I wonder if Elon will find a way to charge the consumers a monthly/yearly subscription fee. 🤨

SpaceX provides launch services for any company or government that wants to put their (other company or government) satellites in orbit. Period.

How/why would Elon charge a subscription fee?

Reactions: b17777

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Apple would be doing themselves a favour by just absorbing the cost of the service into the price of the phone. Can you imagine the negative publicity if someone actually croaked out in the wilderness because they didn’t pay the subscription? Infinite reputational damage would ensue. Tens of millions of dollars is a lot of money to you and me, but it’s nothing in the grand scheme of things for Apple.
What Apple should do is automatically activate the SOS subscription upon use of the feature.

poseidondev

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2015
When/if this eventually launches, it will be an exclusive killer feature luring many to T-mobile.

Until then, the dream lives in "Elon-time".
Vaporware not withstanding, I'm not even sure how killer it'll be.

The quote talks about "everywhere in the continental US, Hawaii and parts of Alaska" and in 2023 the vast majority of people already have coverage in most of those areas.

Only very rural areas and the occasional passing through no-mans land, would benefit from this imho.

That said, more connectivity is always better.

Reactions: StudioMacs

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
What Apple should do is automatically activate the SOS subscription upon use of the feature.
So my car tumbles off a ravine and knocks me out. I then get an automatic free 1 month trial of Save-My-Ass In The Wilderness? Nice!

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
If you're putting yourself into a situation where you need emergency communications buying an Iridium phone or beacon is a far far better idea. I suspect this might put people off a safety conscious decision because there is some assumption they can fall back on the iPhone, which is extremely difficult to use in this mode I understand, you know when you're injured or incapacitated.

I'm pretty sure the use case is for the casual user that doesn't know they need it until they need it. Someone that knows they're going into a situation where they are smart enough to think through the risks are probably also smart enough to weigh all their options.

SpaceX advertises that a Falcon 9 launch costs $52M.
Globalstar will pay SpaceX $64 million according to the details of the arrangement, which were disclosed in an SEC filing. Payments will be made from 2023 to 2025, which is when SpaceX plans to launch the satellites.
so SpaceX regularly shoots satellites up for for StarLink, wonder whether this will be using StarLink or another type of satellite ...
Pretty sure it will be Globstar satellites actually being launched, not Starlink. Given the price, and that it sounds like multiple launches, they are likely ride-sharing to orbit with other customers.

How do we know those satellite are just for the SOS function?
They are almost certainly not just for the SOS function and likely an expansion of Globstar's coverage or replacements for satellites that are at the end of their life.

Elon isn’t a part of any Apple supply chain as suggested. He’s providing a glorified taxi. He’s a bus driver at best
He is what he is, but he almost assuredly had nothing to do with the decision of Globstar to use SpaceX for the launch. SpaceX offering safe and reliable access to space for 1/3 the cost of any competitor at a launch pace never seen before is the only real factor.

Dude is an eccentric rich person who used his wealth and charisma to surround himself with people smarter than him and convinced them they could do something everyone else said could not be done. Sounds like a guy named Steve who insisted he could make a computer that was so easy and friendly to use that it would become central to everyday life. That guy said a lot of things people didn't like either, but he sure succeeded in creating the "impossible" too.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
This is really a stupid feature if you ask me. If you're putting yourself into a situation where you need emergency communications buying an Iridium phone or beacon is a far far better idea. I suspect this might put people off a safety conscious decision because there is some assumption they can fall back on the iPhone, which is extremely difficult to use in this mode I understand, you know when you're injured or incapacitated.

Well, if you get out of your vehicle to photograph a hungry bear...

Reactions: ToyoCorollaGR

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Weird, I didn’t know the company changed its name to “Elon Musk's SpaceX”.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
Well if they’re being chummy all of a sudden it makes me think my theory about the recently refreshed model 3 having integration with the iPhone 15’s new UWB chip seem slightly more possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.