Email username: what your suggestion?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AGX, Jun 4, 2016.

?

Your default email username is....

1. name.surname@

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. nsurname@

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. nickname

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Other

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. AGX macrumors regular

Hi,

what do you think that is better for a public email?

- name.surname

or

- nickname

Actually i'm change my vision and i think that for better privacy it's better to use an username based on a nickname, because there are too many risk in a public exposure of the name and surname (scam, and other social enginering technics)

Your point of view?

2. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Some email services allow email aliases... handy for disposable reasons.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Will this email ever be used for professional purposes? In other words, not merely as a work tool, but when applying for posts? If that is the case, do you want a nickname as a username?

Nicknames, and fun-names are okay as usernames for stuff that would be used entirely in the private domain or personal sphere; but, I would advise against doing such a thing if there is any likelihood that this intended email address might be used - or might need to be used, even briefly - in a professional, or work situation.

4. AGX thread starter macrumors regular

I know, but if a name.surname account expose to some hack... it's not better use another username scheme?

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I have 6 email accounts used for a variety of focused activities. For business dealings, I have an email that uses my name. For everything else, I use something cool and fantastical. :) I recommend an email server like google or yahoo, because you'll have those for life. If you go with an ISP based email, you'll most likely have to change it anytime you move.

6. Roller macrumors 68020

I agree with this comment. As well, I note that a nickname that doesn't let the recipient identify you immediately may not serve you well, even in non-work-related situations. For example, a personal email that you send to someone with whom you've never corresponded may be relegated to the trash bin without being read because it's not familiar to the recipient. Plus, the line between professional and personal may be blurrier than you think. An email complaint to a business might fall into this category. An address that includes your name may carry more weight, as unfair as that may seem.

As others have pointed out, you can reserve email aliases for situations where they're called for.

7. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

My main "personal" email account is a gmail account with the same alias as my college email address(i.e. school assigned one). At the time, many of my other classmates did the same since it was a convenient way to remember an address and keep in touch with professors and the like.

As said, the line between professional and personal can sometimes become blurry, especially when you're using Apple Mail and you have more than one account coming into it :) . In any case, that account has become my default go-to for correspondence related to various hobbies, and it's not unusual that I do indeed contact someone who I've never before contacted. If I inadvertently send an email from the wrong account, it's still easy to see who it is and also doesn't look unprofessional aside from the .gmail address.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Not everyone knows that it may have been discussed before.

And, the OP is not the only person who may benefit for raising this topic; membership of the forum has grown so rapidly that by the time a topic that may have been discussed before has come up again, there are a good many new readers who may derive some benefit form having these issues explored once again.

And, advice as to what constitutes best practice may also change over time - although I'll readily concede that it is quite unlikely to happen with this topic.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like the OP seems to ask the same thing over and over again, including very recently.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Fair enough.

Ah, well, then, that's entirely different........

12. Possumgal macrumors member

Possumgal

Instead of using your full name, how about using your surname and initials? Many company e-mails are set up like that.

IMHO, it's always a good idea to have one "serious" e-mail account for job hunting and the like, and a nicknamed one for everything else.

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I've never seen so many threads about the same things rehashed over and over again by the same user.

14. AGX thread starter macrumors regular

15. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

How about make up your own mind about what kind of email labeling system you wish to use, instead of asking the same kind of question over and over with new threads?

16. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

18. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I think it's some sort of Obsessive Complusive Disorder. Or phishing scam, but he has regular posts? No clue but it's bizzare.

Honestly man, all these threads about which email is best blah blah blah... gmail, yahoo, outlook, iCloud, etc... THEY ARE ALL FREE!!!! My god...

If you're a real person, go try them out and find out what you like best. Most people prefer gmail.

19. AGX thread starter macrumors regular

I'm a Borg. Prepare yourself to be assimilated.

20. Tech198 macrumors G4

nickname ? probably..,. I mean how much info can people find out if they know a nickname if they cannot access your account.

my mates uses MrX (don't ask me, just go with it)