Emergency question!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fruitycups, Jul 7, 2011.

1. fruitycups macrumors 6502

i usually don't spam topics cause i know its annoying to the macrumors vet but a deal just popped up and i need your opinions!

A friend of mine wants to trade his stock 2.2 15" quad with applecare for my 15" baseline 8gb ram, momentus xt and high res screen. straight trade.

help. PLEASE.

2. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

3. bluesteel macrumors 6502

there's a difference of about $300 between the two after factoring everything in. the rest of it is preference. do you want glossy or anti-glare hi-res? do you need 8GB of RAM? do you want apple care? do you want the momentus xt?

why are you entertaining the idea of a trade? what makes you want your friends 2.2? what makes your friend want your 2.0?

4. randomrazr macrumors 65816

need more info on what kind of computer u have (Specs)

5. fruitycups thread starter macrumors 6502

well. after talking to him, what he mainly wants is the high res screen. hes willing to let me keep the HD and 8gb ram if needed so thats cool.

So technically hes doing the deal as a friend. Hes aware that he could sell it and get more but he wants to help me out so hes giving me first dips. Thoughts?

6. fruitycups thread starter macrumors 6502

baseline 2011 15"

ram and HD upgrades are negligible cause hes allowing me to keep it if wanted.

7. bluesteel macrumors 6502

do you want anti-glare hi-res? if not, then go for it.

8. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

If you've never noticed your performance lacking, you're pretty much giving up your screen for nothing.

9. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Trade your computers, but swap hard drives so there's no issue with data transfers.

10. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The RAM and the XT can be added for $150 or so. The QUAD and hi-res are the fixed features. So, it's really how much you want a quad over a hi-res screen.

Do you use applications that would benefit from the additional cores? Video editing rendering/compression comes to mind and I know at least the new FCP-X uses all CPU resources. Unfortunately, the Catch-22 is those type of applications also need more real-estate.

I'm spoiled by real-estate (17" 1920*1200), so I'd tend to recommend keeping the hi-res. I think it would be more useful overall than the quad core.

11. fruitycups thread starter macrumors 6502

no anti glare. its the glossy high res.

12. bluesteel macrumors 6502

sorry....do you want hi-res? i think your making a super easy decision very difficult for yourself :)

13. fruitycups thread starter macrumors 6502

i mean, both models are 2011. his has the 1gb graphics card though

14. Kyllle macrumors 6502

the 2.2 is probably worth more in terms of $, but if you won't make use of the extra power then there's no reason for you to trade.

Unless you either a) need more power than you currently have, or b) don't like your hi res screen, then I wouldn't trade. You'd also be losing the 8gb of memory.

15. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

in that case go for his.

16. fruitycups thread starter macrumors 6502

I get to keep the 8gb memory if i want to.

i wouldnt use the cores, but the constant "its better to max out right now" is getting to me. and people claiming that the 1gb card is amazing is also making me consider this (also applecare being included)

17. fruitycups thread starter macrumors 6502

i want the high res. i love the high res tbh. one of the reasons why im getting it.

but whats getting to me is the value questions

my laptop at the store was 1899 while his would be about 2499 (including the apple care). Is this one of the deals that is too good to pass up?

18. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

So, you already have the hi-res, the display you want? :confused:

You're basically buying AppleCare, then, since you don't have a need for the quad. I'm not up on performance differences the GPUs have, but the 1GB VRAM probably won't shine unless your are doing a lot of gaming or, possibly, some other intensive graphics tasks.

If you have your heart set on the quad, I can totally understand that, and maybe it's enough in and of itself to make the trade. But, for your needs, I still think keeping what you have, and maybe getting AppleCare later (well, before your one year warranty is up) is the way to go.

19. fruitycups thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the thoughtful response gr8tfly!

its bcause im looking at this as a numbers game. The high res is what i always wanted and going back to the standard res would def be a downgrade. its just i need to figure out if this is a "steal" of a deal. Its true, i probably won't notice that .2 and theres a chance i might not even use the graphics card to the full potential but its just that when you look at it as a numbers game, you see mine quad 15" 2.0 value at 1899 while his quad 15" 2.2 at 2499 (with applecare).

Its terrible that i can't be content with what i have cause i love this machine. But the idea a 600 savings deal is just nagging at me, even if the two parts that are being upgraded might not be used to its full potential. and yeah

high res screen > processor upgrade/graphics
    but
    high res screen ??? 600 value

20. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

21. fruitycups thread starter macrumors 6502

finally, a person that understands why this is an emergency :D

22. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

For some reason, I thought yours was a dual core, so part of the upgrade was going to a quad-core (actually, that's what I meant by "having your heart set" - going to quad).

Let's see if I have it right now: 2.0 to 2.2GHz, 256 to 1GB VRAM (similar GPU generation), hi-res to low, no AppleCare > AppleCare. Still seems like most of the difference is the AppleCare, and some performance improvement going to the 2.2.

If you make the trade, you can always sell the machine when you find you need a hi-res screen. ;) Then, possibly get a refreshed machine next year.

23. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502