Emoji on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by betaboy78, Apr 5, 2010.

1. betaboy78 macrumors regular

betaboy78

I tried to use iEmoji to install emoji on my iPad just like I did with my iPhone, but it doesn’t seem to work. I can see emoji icons on the iPad (I assume everyone can) when I'm on the app store looking at emoji apps, but I can't create emoji from my iPad. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. FastangV6 macrumors regular

FastangV6

I would like to see this figured out also. Anyone tried any of the other iPhone emoji apps?

3. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

I downloaded Emoji Free! the other day. When I tried to follow the install directions, a screen popped up saying that the app was not compatible to run on the device (iPad). I don't remember the exact wording, but it was something to that effect.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

How would you use it if you could, being that there's no SMS?

5. KrakaJap macrumors member

Seriously? The Emoji icons are not synonymous with SMS. They are a part of the Japanese keyboard that have to be enabled for use on a US iPhone/iPod (and other countries). SMS has absolutely nothing to do with Emoji.

FYI this has obviously been corrected on the iPad. No idea why Apple doesn't just enable it across the board but none of the old apps that worked on the iPhone and iPod to enable this will work on the iPad. We'll just have to wait until someone figures out the new switch.

6. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

Anyone find anything yet that works on the iPad?

7. maggie2101 macrumors member

I've been trying to figure this out too. I tried the spell number app thing and it didn't work.

8. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

I go to the App store daily to see if anything new has come out that will work on the iPad. There are a few emoji iPad apps, but I believe you need to copy and paste the icons. I want to have keyboard access similar to my iPhone. Don't understand why this cannot be done. :mad:

9. ClaireL macrumors 6502a

ClaireL

Count me in too, would love to enable Emoji on my iPad

10. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

What's wrong with the app emoji for iPad .99 cents.

Nevermind I see now. Not embedded into keyboard.

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Folks there is no emoji keyboard in the current firmware...i.e. nothing to enable with an app. When the iPad hits Japan maybe...

12. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

doesn't answer the questions, what can you use them for? you can only email them to someone with ipad, kinda like SMS

13. KrakaJap macrumors member

Which is the exact reason why people are wanting this. The same reason they wanted it for the iPhone and iPod. I'm certain the people asking about this for the iPad are completely aware that it is only viewable on an iDevice. And they are viewable within any application on these devices that accept text input and do not run strict filters. Comments on the AppStore, sms, mms, notes, email, calendar, many games that record player names like Words With Friends, etc. It doesn't matter what it's used for, only that people obviously "want" to use it. :p

14. odyssey924 macrumors regular

Somehow the developers for IM+ got them into a special section at the top of the keyboard. I suppose they added them in manually.

15. ukyo229 Guest

Do you mean Japanese emoji? or the western spin-off?

I have Japanese emoji on my iPad. But you will need to know how to read kanji heavy site.

16. KrakaJap macrumors member

??? I think you might be confusing ascii characters on the kanji keyboard that is available without any JB or hacking or installing special "enabling" software. :) That is not "emoji". At this time there is NO emoji enabling function available for the iPad. There are apps that let you copy and paste emoji characters but that's it. There is no reading or translating involved either... think of emoji as being synonymous with emoticons.

17. Hellion macrumors member

Hellion

this is what i found.... work around to enable emoji on ipad

from that site:
    To enable Emoji on your iPad, just go to go to settings and navigate to International > Keyboard and enable the Japanese Keyboard.

Now to use emoji while typing, click the world icon and type ‘emoji’ ( without the quotes ).

I know it’s irritating but it’s the only way.

18. ukyo229 Guest

You can think what you want... I have emoji on my iPad, and use it with people back in Japan!

The website that explained how to do it, is in Japanese. Since it is a function of the Japanese keyboard, you should be able to read Japanese. Therefore, anyone wanting to use emoji ... shouldn't have a problem enabling it or finding out how to enable it.

You can write all that bull****, it doesn't make it true!
    and people are installing apps to paste emoji? Do they pay for those apps too? haha! 外国人 ^^;

19. KrakaJap macrumors member

WOW chill out! I wrote that at the beginning of last month! At that time there "was no method of enabling emoji" which is why I specifically stated "at this time...". Instead you could have been much more useful and respectful by actually POSTING how to do it instead of flaming an old post! Grow up!

BTW I "can" read Japanese because I AM Japanese... but there are plenty of other websites out there (in English) that demonstrate how to enable this. You most certainly do not need the ability to read Japanese. In fact, using the QWERTY-Japanese keyboard with a US Layout, the letters themselves on the keyboard are in English.

@Hellion... thanks for being more responsible than ukyo229 and explaining the current method for enabling emoji.

20. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Tried it,but doesn't work. Anyone else?

21. Tinnitusdoc macrumors member

it does work, but in a very complicated way.

Go to setting and enable the japanese keyboard.
    If you want to insert an emoji-icon, switch to the japanese keyboard (by pressing the world icon left of the space bar) On the japanese keyboard a row of blank squares appears on top of the keyboard.

Now type

emoji

while your typing, the blank squares fill up with japanese signs and some of the emoji icons (in your text some japanese signs will appear, don't worry they will be replaced when you choose your emoji)
    Now you'll be able to choose some emoji-icons with the little arrow on top of the keyboard.

The problem is, that you have to repeat this procedure with every icon you want to have in your text.

For me it's nice, but way to complicated.

22. ukyo229 Guest

ちゃうちゃう、なめんなよ。さらにKRAKAJAPは私のような日本人ですね。ああ〜信じられない気分だ

23. KrakaJap macrumors member

haha really? Your Japanese is horrible for one, and you can believe what you want. :p I don't have anything to prove to you.

You've posted here 3 times... none of which did you provide any assistance, just an open ended claim. If you really want to help, why not translate that page for everyone here (if you're so fluent) so that others can benefit?

I'm done replying to your silly comments :cool:

24. ukyo229 Guest

That is common Japanese, and slang... and not formal structuring that web translators will decipher easily :D

An open ended claim? haha
    Someone already posted how foreigners can do it... you just blindly ignore it.