Engadget benchmarks show iPhone 4 slower than the 3Gs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ca$hflow, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

Attached Files:

2. Polydactyl macrumors member

Probably because the benchmark is graphics intensive and is being measured in frames per second. With the Retina screen, iPhone 4 has to process and push 4 times the number of pixels as the 3gs.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I never really bought into benchmarks for a phone. I understand their purpose but for me does the phone does what I need it too. Notnwhether I'm getting maximum fps on a game

4. Merkie macrumors 68020

Does anyone understand why all these Android phones have extremely powerful hardware, yet there are hardly any apps available in the market that take advantage of it :confused:?

5. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

Its basically because the Android layer on top of Linux is all java based. No matter what you're doing on an Android device, the app isn't running as a native linux app, its running in a Java wrapper which inherently limits performance.

6. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Then Apple has some serious work to do on the next iPhone...

7. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Benchmarks are relative. Meaning that while they show you one is faster than another, I can get another benchmark to show you that its slower than the other.
    Don't put a lot of faith in benchmarks except inside of the exact criteria they give you. The 3GS is not "all around" faster than the 4. In some areas, sure. In other areas, no.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How do you know that they don't? I mean being an iPhone owner, you generally don't view and keep up on android apps do you?

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It should already be done with the A5 processor ;)

10. twcbc macrumors member

It's a 3d graphic benchmark. With the same GPU, SGX535, iPhone4 has to deal with 4 times pixel than 3GS. That's why iPhone4 fall behind 3GS in benchmark. Not a big deal for me, since I rarely gaming on my smartphone.

11. scelzifan macrumors 6502

Like I have said since day 1, the iphone 4 is gorgeous but the phone itself is severly flawed. The software has been messed with so many times to try to fix hardware issue's and in my opinion that is why it scores to low. But they are way behind in times already with the iphone 4 so with the 5 they better do a dual core processor.

12. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

what? they made 1 change to "fix" the hardware issue (if you're referring to the so called grip of death), and that is changing how the bars are reported. They issued a fix for the proximity sensor as well, but that's it. And the software hasn't suffered because of it...it runs beautifully still. There's not a shred of evidence to suggest that those fixes have affected graphical performance in the slightest, especially since a logical (and likely true) answer has been provided in this thread already:

that's a 3D graphics test, and the iPhone 4 and 3GS share the same graphics processor. The iPhone 4 has to render 4 times the pixels that the 3GS does, so that affects performance. It's just like if you have an older computer (or a new computer and try to run crysis): you get better framerates when you run the game on lower resolutions.

13. Merkie macrumors 68020

Lol? This makes no sense at all.

"Severely flawed". You mean even more flawed than those Android phones that aren't even capable of smooth scrolling between homescreens? Or smooth scrolling in general :rolleyes:?

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

This. Also really? a brand new GPU outperforming an older GPU...now i've heard everything.

15. suss2it macrumors regular

Why do you feel the need to bring up Android? This about the iPhone 3GS & the iPhone 4.

16. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

P.S. - Do take note that the Qualcomm dev platform was plugged into the wall during these tests and was not subject to any power management software that may have otherwise restrained its performance as on the retail chips under test. Moreover, the Egypt benchmark can only run at native resolution, which is what's causing some seemingly aberrant results such as the iPhone 4 (960 x 640) ranking below the iPhone 3GS (480 x 320).

17. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Anyone who has used a 3Gs and an iPhone 4 knows that the 4 is much faster.

18. Merkie macrumors 68020

He says (or implies) the iPhone is already behind the competition, the competition mainly being Android.
    I kind of do actually.

19. nyfliiboy macrumors regular

Both of those phones will be irrelevant soon in terms of speed.

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Who gives a crap about raw speed? The iPhone 4, after all, has one hell of display.

21. scelzifan macrumors 6502

Like I have said, as long as it has an apple on it, it must be perfect. The iphone was the laughing stock of the industry this year and everyone who isn't stuck up apple's ass knows the truth. The phone is junk, the os is completely outdated and the antenna and the proximity sensor is a joke. It doesn't hold a candle to any of the new phones and that includes the screen and camera. Like I have said before, there is not 1 thing my iphone will do that my Thunderbolt won't do BETTER!! People need to face it, the phone is not even as good as the last generation or 3GS, that's pretty sad!! When I put my pictures from my Thunderbolt against my iphone, the Thunderbolt is better, the video is better and the phone speeds and benchmarks are better. Apple's next phone better be special or it might not get sold. The Thunderbolt has already outsold the iphone in less than 2 weeks so that says something right there.

22. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Damn, that's the most gorgeous phone I've ever seen. Might be worth going back to Verizon for that babe.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Mr. Crooked facts here doesn't have his facts straight...:rolleyes:

You don't think mentioning that your comparing thunderbolt sales to only the verizon iphone would matter at all right?

24. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's all about the app store. Android marketplace (while much better since the revamp) is a joke at the moment.

25. marksman, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

marksman macrumors 603

marksman

LOL.

Only 1 day late Bravo!

How about the battery? I have seen some Thunderbolt users telling others to remove widgets from their home screen. Isn't that one of the awesome features of Android? Another person recommends an App to turn off all activity on the phone except the phone itself to save the paltry battery.

It is 2011, no device should be struggling for normal battery usage. I understand when it was first a battle when Apple reinvented the smartphone market, but now? It is not acceptable.

What is funny is the stat they are quoting for this is some research firm who called Verizon stores and asked them to guess which was selling more.

The FUNNIEST part is, only 28% of Verizon stores said the Thunderbolt was selling more than the Verizon iPhone. Yet they seem to think that means more.

The FUNNIEST FUNNIEST part, as you noted, is they only include the Verizon iPhone ,yet when they compare OSes not only do they add up every manufactures every single model but they do it for all carriers.

The Thunderbolt will not be anywhere close to selling as many units as the iPhone 4. Not even in the same stratosphere.