Engadget reviews the Palm Pre.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Palm Pimp, Jun 4, 2009.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Interesting review. From what I've seen in comparison to the iPhone is a larger device and being such, it also has a larger display. I'm not sure if this is an advantage or not. Many people prefer small phones and but others (like myself) like the large display the iPhone provides.

All in all, it looks like a good design, from palm, both the hardware and software. IT does look plasticy and somewhat cheap.

I wonder how well it will do because they're tied to sprint for the next 6 months and they're charging 100 dollars more then the iPhone.

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Best Buy's selling it with an instant rebate, so it's $199 off the bat.

3. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

wow.. I must say the videos really impressed me.

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I couldn't watch the videos here at work, unfortunately, but the text review was enough to impress me. I hadn't heard anything about the specifics of the Pre before this (hadn't bothered to keep myself informed being under contract with AT&T and content with my iPhone), but I must say, it really sounds like a wonderful phone. It even kind of makes me want to switch, if only to satisfy the techno-lust. I'm excited to see how this phone does.

5. fratboy macrumors regular

i am not impressed at all.. it takes palm 2 years after the iphone and iphone 3g is released to come up with this.. which is VERY similar to the iphone .. not to mention people from APPLE working on this.. so no its not that impressive i will stick with the iphone even if they(palm)
    had a battery that NEVER died

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'm with you. I'm planning on buying an iPhone, but more due to the fact that I'm already pot-committed with the iTunes ecosystem/applications/etc than because it's the most revolutionary phone on the market. For 'pure' functionality, the Pre has some one-ups on the iPhone right now, that it's a better phone not being the least of which.

iPhone gets my money for the sake of convergence. But the Pre is a stunning little thing on its own merits, and I hope that it's a success for Palm. Once their hardware production catches up with the rest of webOS, I think they'll have something big on their hands.

7. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I completely agree with your assessment!

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. The Pre looks like it will be a huge hit for Palm, and as a owner of several Palm devices in the past, I am glad. Not to mention, it will keep Apple on their toes.

9. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

I like engadget reviews, concise and to the point - with no bull.

It seems their review echoes a lot of the other pros and cons noticed with the phone. Build quality isn't up to par, software bugs that are expected with any version 1.0, etc. However the fact remains that the WebOS is an entirely new experience that could def cause others to step up their offerings.

10. actorkid macrumors 6502

is everyone able to view this link?

I'm at work, and every time I open the link, my browser freezes and crashes.

11. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I found Gizmodo's to be a bit better but I'm not really trusting any of these reviews because these are the same people who gush over every new smartphone with fancy features and an OS full of eyecandy. Happened with the iPhone, happened with Android, happening with the Pre. So far...only one of those has been a success. We'll see about the Pre - I don't think it'll do that well but that's me.

But the technorati have found their latest toy and they'll swoon about it until the next pretty thing comes out...on Monday.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think as more Webos phones come out we'll see improvements.
    The hardware will get better, the OS seems to be solid and thats what matters the most I think.

13. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

That is a very beautiful looking device. I really love how the Palm Pre handles SMS. I just wish Sprint wasn't such a terrible carrier.

14. gibbz macrumors 68030

Agreed. While I'll am an unabashed Apple fanboy and will be getting the next iPhone, I think the Palm Pre is interesting. However, these reviews are often far from objective. The true reviews will come when people own the device. The consumer will ultimately decide the fate of the phone, not the pre-release hype (see what I did there?).

15. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

No voice and data at the same time? Lame.

I think that is the cause of Sprints network though.

16. nfl46 macrumors 603

It looks like Palm gave it its ALL with the Palm Pre, in order to save their company. Hopefully the Palm Pre will save it...that has yet to be seen, but it looks like it'll sell quite nicely.

Palm and Sprint are two companies that are both falling apart though.

And by the way, OP, MOST of the people on this forum like the Palm Pre. We don't bash your device, like y'all bash ours. If you visit the Palm Pre forums, there's nothing but hate on the iPhone. Unfortunately, its still no iPhone. Nice try though.

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

This is the first smartphone other than the iphone that has actually interested me. The fact that it syncs like an ipod is a big unexpected plus for me (assuming apple doesn't break that) - I'm not interested in going back to some drag and drop or work-around 3rd party solution after the iphone's ease of use. However, the physical keyboard and lack of apps are deal-breakers.

18. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Could be the phone, or the carrier. Either way I think it's pretty bad. The whole success of this device relies on both what it can do, and the carrier. If either falter, this thing will wither and die. Seems like a pretty basic thing though? I mean, when I'm on my iPhone, I get the vibration from an incoming email all the time. Or an SMS. Seems this should be able to do both; Sprint has 3G too.

Who knows really. I think WAY too much speculation is going on. Until it hits the streets, and folks are using it in real life situations, we'll never know. When that happens, we can then let the bashing/praising begin...IMHO...

19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

It's Sprint's CDMA network.

20. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

21. iGary Guest

iGary

I wonder how busily Apple's lawyers will be working on the injunction.

22. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I'm honestly curious, what makes you think this? Have you had Sprint in the last 3 years?

23. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

I unfortunately have.

24. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Well the good news here is Palm only has a 6 month exclusive agreement with Sprint.
    If it does well, they could offer it to other carriers.
    I think that will benefit Palm in many ways.
    ("In six months, however, that could change as Sprint's exclusive rights to Pre expire.") - Fortune