Enjoy jailbreakme.com while it lasts...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Darwing, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Darwing macrumors 6502

Hey this site is incredible! A fresh restore to latest firmware( don't restore from your backup) an it works like a charm on every device seamlessly.

However, this brings up a serious security issue, and no doubt will be closed up in the next firmware update. Before apple didn't fix the jailbreak because it wasn't as main stream and most people didn't realize how easy it was.

NOW it's legal, and an easy access website for all devices. This is going to be fixed so easily by apple in the next firmware update and won't be surprised if they don't just edit all the jailbreaking access points.

This was a really cool and neat idea, truly amazing website, but I think in the end it will be the final straw for apple to eliminate jailbreaking for good.

2. kyleplusitunes macrumors newbie

so people create jailbreak software because apple let's them, and not because they find workarounds?

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Apple has been trying to end jailbreaking for good ever since 1.0.0 days. I'll see they have done a pretty crap job about it.

4. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

This isn't the first time jailbreak being done through a website.

But iPhone JB is a lot bigger than what it was, and this will force Apple to react.

Other ways will come out, and deep down, Apple wants the jailbreak community to exist for many reasons.

5. GeorgeBear macrumors newbie

You talk like jailbreaking is a new thing. Apple have brought out 4 phones and each one of them have been jailbroken. Inc every firmware for them.

So apple have been trying for years to stop it, they cannot!

Ok the latest one may be stopped as a JB via the iphone itself but the 'teams' out there will just bring out another one a few days/weeks later.

6. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

I've heard this same speech for years now, especially last year when the new bootrom was implemented. It hasn't slowed them down yet nor do I see it anytime soon.

7. Darwing thread starter macrumors 6502

Iunderatand they need the jb community for ideas and software coding etc, however the biggest and worst thing about this is that it's very public now, and with install0us being more and more prevalent it's going to vet shut down immediately.

Before it was a bit difficult to jb the phone, and moat users didn't like the idea of downloading an exe for jb their phone or go through all these steps to do so and only advanced users would engage.

With a web based jb the sheer security infractions are limitless. If a site can edit and install a program onto your apple device it can also delete and destroy your os as well!!!

8. darko135 macrumors newbie

this was only one of the several methods they found to jailbreak the iphone 4 when apple patches this method theyll just use one of the other methods :D

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

It's cat and mouse and mouse has always won. If it's not www.jailbreakme.com it will be something else.

10. GeorgeBear macrumors newbie

Spirit was very, very easy. Ok not compared to this but it only took a video on youtube to find out how to get it working.

Alot of people still don't know about Jailbreaking, or do but won't do it as they hear stories about 'bricking' your iphone.

Even if joe public do jailbreak it, unless you know the sources and what apps/programs to use they wont see any difference

11. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

From their past actions, Apple generally doesn't care about JB. They haven't appeared to go after JB but they also have not worried about breaking JB when they make changes.

This however is a major security problem and I expect Apple to patch it soon.

12. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Ya, I too question whether or not this was the best approach.

Obviously Apple didn't want Facetime to go over 3G, and everyone can guess that being the #1 reason to jailbreak for majority of users...and now it is available.

So yes, I agree and I also question why they made it so easy. These guys are great coders, but they might not be very good at other things.

I guess I should support the fear factor that JB breaks your warranty, so less people will jailbreak...thus indirectly support the community.

13. Darwing thread starter macrumors 6502

But any simple minded person can realize that it's just software and restoring to original firmware apple cannot tell the device has been jailbroken, thus not voiding the warranty.

Second any person who has a friend who knows the slightest thing about jailbreaking or YouTube will show them how to install install0us and apple can start to lose a lot of money not to mention the developers!!!!

14. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Actually the original jailbreakme.com was back from teh 1.1X days. Instead of Cydia, it installed Installer

15. Asha'man macrumors newbie

Asha'man

^^This.

Apple probably cares less about the Jailbreak than it cares about a massive security hole, allowing anyone on the web to gain control of your iPhone with a malicious .pdf file.

16. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Apple cannot prevent JailbreakMe.com from continuing to jailbreak any currently-released iDevice on firmware 3.0-4.0.1, nor can they prevent people from continuing to restore their iDevices to 4.0.1 if they get their SHSH on file. Every jailbreak hole gets patched eventually, and the JailbreakMe.com exploit will be no different. But the idea that JailbreakMe.com is somehow uniquely impermanent is laughable.

17. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

As long as there is software, there will always be someone who can hack it. No software is unhackable.

18. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

There is nothing that Apple can do to terminate jailbreak for good, they will path the hole, yes, but they always did and they always will. Then another hole will be found and them we will have a jailbreak again, cat-and-mouse game.

19. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

True, but the argument being presented is the timeliness of accessibility. There needs to be a fine balance between number of jailbroken users in relation to overall users for a number of reasons.

Apple may not destroy the JB community, but it may simply make it very difficult so that it will take months after each firmware...

20. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

^ This.

21. illutionz macrumors 65816

Is this serious?

Since the beginning of time, Apple has been trying to stop jailbreaking by releasing firmware after firmware... Yet the dev team always finds new holes. This is just the latest episode in the cat and mouse game. Yes Apple will plug the hole in 4.1 or 4.0.2 but there will always be a hole and we will be able to Jailbreak it again via Spirit or Pwnagetools....

Do you REALLY think they have not been working on SpiritJB for iOS4? If so, you're rather naive, my friend.

22. Darwing thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes this is what I was getting at, I think previous holes went so public and thus wasn't a massive issue because there wasn't such common ease to use.

I feel that this glitch will not only be borded up but the next firmware update is going to set back the jailbreak community for ages to come.

Being able to edit an operating system from a website is the biggest security breach I've seen in a long time! Installing software also allows for deleting software. This will be quickly fixed

23. illutionz macrumors 65816

You do realize that jailbreakme.com was around back in 1.1.1?
    And yes of course it will be fixed but come 4.1, it will be done by other means eg: Spirit

24. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

and you do realize that the number of iPhone users from then to now is significantly different?

25. Darwing thread starter macrumors 6502

All I'm saying is that the next step in the cat and mouse game is going to be HUGE by appl setting back the jb community far! They will change jailbreaking for ever with the next firmware update