Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
Yes, I'm sure you have a few fun facts stored away somewhere. Whether they be serious, silly, random, useless or comedic, now's the time for you to share them with everyone.

I'll get the party started... Did you know -40°F is equal to -40°C.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
The first soup made by humans is thought to be Hippopotamus.

Canada was named by a conference in London, other suggestions included Victorialand and Transatlantica.

Ignorance of the law can be an excuse (at least here in the UK).

Humming is much harder when you hold your nose closed.

The Godfather Part II was the first sequel to win an Oscar for Best Picture, only LOTR Return of the King has done that since (although some say that was not a true sequel). I also believe Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro are the only two actors to win Oscars for playing the same character.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Globally 155000 people die every day where as 275000 people are born.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
The expression "rule of thumb" originated in Colonial America. It referred to the right of a man to beat his wife with a stick, as long as the stick was no bigger than his thumb in circumference.

Along with this is the fact that women were considered chattel. That is, possessions similar to the man's horse, cow, or dog.

Real nice history.:rolleyes:

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Vaginae and Shark Livers excrete similar lubricating compounds.

Babies are born without knee caps. They don't appear until they are 2-6 years old.

40,000 Americans are injured by toilets each year.

Your feet are bigger in the afternoon than the rest of the day.

You are naturally radioactive for most of your life.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
The expression "rule of thumb" originated in Colonial America. It referred to the right of a man to beat his wife with a stick, as long as the stick was no bigger than his thumb in circumference.

I thought this was a misconception, and that it refers to the thumb being used as a primitive unit of measurement? Whilst it was (and in some places is) still legal for a husband to use 'corrective force' against his wife, I didn't think there was an actual law mentioning it. One English judge was reported to have said it, but there is little evidence of this and that doesn't make it law anyway.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I thought this was a misconception, and that it refers to the thumb being used as a primitive unit of measurement? Whilst it was (and in some places is) still legal for a husband to use 'corrective force' against his wife, I didn't think there was an actual law mentioning it. One English judge was reported to have said it, but there is little evidence of this and that doesn't make it law anyway.

You are undoubtedly correct and thanks for the information.:)

I readily concede that my source (which I no longer remember - in fact, at my age, I no longer remember what I had for breakfast!) could well have been inaccurate.

Just to make the point that I did not assert that it was a law, but just a convention.:D

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
- Parts of Bill Gates house was designed using a Macintosh computer.

- If you opened up the case of the original Macintosh, you will find 47 signatures. One for each member of Apple's Macintosh divison as of 1982.

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
Babies are born without knee caps. They don't appear until they are 2-6 years old.
I knew this one. I feel smart now.

Most of these I've read online, so they may not be at all true:

1. Hippo milk is pink.
  2. 1 in 5000 Atlantic lobsters are bright blue.
  3. One town in Indiana is called Santa Claus. (I know this one is true.)
  4. The correct term for a cat’s hairball is a “bezoar.”
  5. In Chinese, the KFC slogan "finger lickin' good" comes out as "eat your fingers off".

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
The French for an inch is "pouce", which means "thumb" (a measurement almost exclusively surviving in Quebec/New Brunswick). This seems a far more likely derivation for a term meaning a useful approximation.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
No it isn't, where did you learn that from?
In a time when there are a huge number of poorly and/or hastily drafted laws - many of which even those who drafted them are unable to apply with any certainty - it is a fair defence, both in the UK and the US, to challenge the application of a law on the grounds that it is unclear what it means, or that it is self-contradictory.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
No it isn't, where did you learn that from?

There aren't many examples (that I know of) but the easiest example I came across during my studies is in the Theft Act 1968. There is a defence of genuinely believing you had the right in law to take/keep something, and that is regardless of whether that belief was true and whether the law actually says something else. One example is that some people think 'finders keepers' is actually law, when actually it's not that simple, but they could use that as a defence to prosecution for theft.

---

Another theft related interesting fact- it is possible to steal your own property!

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
A visitor to New York City is ten times more likely to be bitten by a native resident than likely to be shark bitten while swimming in the Ocean.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
. I also believe Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro are the only two actors to win Oscars for playing the same character.

Kelsey Grammer is the only actor to have been nominated (and I think won) three different types of emmys for the same role. Guest actor, supporting actor and lead actor for Fraiser in Wings, Cheers, and Fraiser.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I know a lot about company names.

The company name "Sprint" comes from "Southern Pacific Railroad INTernal Communications".

The Name Verizon comes from the Roman goddess of Truth Veritas & the word Horizon.

AT&T stands for American Telephone & Telegraph.

Vodafone is a combination of Voice, Data, and Telefone.

T-Mobile literally means Telekom-Mobile.

Samsung means "3 stars" in Korean. (their phones are more like 0 stars!)

Apple was named because it was Job's favorite fruit.

Microsoft was a combination of MICROcomputer SOFTware.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.