Epic Citadel Demo on iPad...

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Crosbie, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

2. lozpop macrumors 6502

Agree. It's an epic way to explore a 3D world. iOS foundation never stops to surprise me.

3. BMP84 macrumors regular

BMP84

Amazing really, hopefully this raises the bar a little higher.

4. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I was pretty impressed that they were able to use the Unreal engine for that too. And the graphics are spot-on gorgeous. Looking forward to seeing that on iPad!

5. Crosbie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Totally. Substantially higher. That's what's most exciting - it seems to introduce the next level of what we can expect on iOS devices. Their website says UR3 toolkit is free to develop on too...

I just hope this isn't stretching the hardware so much doing a demo that you won't be able to fit gameplay into this quality world.

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

I have to say I was a LOT more impressed by this demo on my iPhone 4. The frame rate really sucks on the iPad, and while it's far from perfect on the iPhone 4, it's a TON more stable.

Just another way in which the iPhone 4 is a more fleshed out device than the iPad, sadly. :(

**EDIT**

No wonder! It's using 240MB RAM on the iPhone 4. That's insane!

7. Streethawk macrumors 6502

Think i may have replied in the iPhone forum, but the frame rates are exactly the same on both devices for me. Smooth as silk except looking at the castle from the bridge near the tents. Maybe reset your iPad?

The retina display gives it more wow factor, but the iPad controls are much better, and its still a damn fine looking app.

Gameloft will be sh*tting bricks :D About time they stopped using that crappy engine for all their games.

8. WilliamG macrumors 604

Well for me they're not the same. :p

And in any case, the supposed extra speed of the A4 chip in the iPad should make it better, though there's a slight resolution jump in the iPad version...

Hmm... Well it's early days in any case, and wow to those graphics. ON A PHONE!

9. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Looks sick! My ip4 actually seemed a hair slower, I could see the frames jump a bit on the intro fly by. The only thing that ruins it is the crappy controls, it looks like not even Epic is going to solve the issue of no physical controls.

10. WilliamG macrumors 604

It's not that they're crappy, - it's just that it's the limitation of having all-touch controls. It doesn't work on FPSs at all. You can't move, strafe and shoot. Now if we'd only been blessed with three hands...

11. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Yeah I know it's just a limitation, they do the best with what they have to work with. I actually like clicking to go somewhere diablo style, but being able to swipe my view all around while I'm walking there, seems like a decent compromise on movement.

12. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Played w/o a hitch on my iPhone 4, but required a reset on my iPad to stop crashing to home screen. Resetting's usually a good practice anyway after installing a hoggy app.

Looks gorgeous on both though. Controls are awkward, but that's to be expected with touch-only. Looking forward to the game -- beautiful, immersive environment!

13. Appleoholic macrumors member

14. amsguitarist macrumors newbie

15. Appleoholic macrumors member

16. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

Now that is what I want to see on my iPad! Stunning!

Bring on Endless Ocean iPad edition :D or a decent hunting game...

17. Appleoholic macrumors member

This.

18. Streethawk macrumors 6502

Actually, i'm really getting used to the controls on this after a day of showing the IP4 version to all the Android users in work (Yes, i think i saw tears in their eyes).

The iPad version felt easier to use last night, but for once i didnt bring my iPad to work.

I do have the slight worry that the engine will struggle when the screen is full of characters moving around. They might have to scale back the detail a little.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah I think it's simply a case that with the retina display you are fooled into thinking the textures are a higher res than they actually are, hence it looks a little more impressive over the iPad. That being said it's still miles better than most iPad full games :)

20. admanimal macrumors 68040

It will be interesting to see if they can maintain the same level of graphics/frame rates once the game is fully fleshed out and the device has more to do than just render the graphics.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I don't know, I had absolutely no trouble with Nazi Zombies on my touch. That game was fun as hell.

22. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

This is the sickest game for iPad yet! And all you can do is walk around! I can't Wait for the real deal!!!!!!:D

23. Appleoholic macrumors member

One word: optimization.

24. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

I found it was much easier to move around by tapping where you wanted to go and then dragging with your finger to rotate your view. This let me move much more naturally than trying to use the joysticks.

25. powersurge macrumors member

While I'm really excited to see a real game using this engine this tech demo is probably the 1st in a long line of apps to show a big difference between iPhone4 and the iPad due to the lack of ram. IMO it was a huge mistake for apple to release the iPad gimped like this just before iPhone4's launch.

Toucharcade and I think neogaf has some side by side screenshots showing that the iPhone4 version is running higher res textures than the iPad which causes the iPad version to look blurry when compared. :(