Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gregmancuso

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2014
Except games consoles aren't general use devices no matter how much you argue 🙄
When they are able to play movies, browse the web, and run other apps - yes they are.

The fact that they are sold at a loss is irrelevant. The fact they support mouse and keyboard and allow installation of apps is not. They support install of apps from their walled garden app stores. They have full web browser, including access to MS Office (for example).

May people could use a console as their primary computer - browse, mail, chat, office, stream.

They are sold as “game consoles” but they are able to install and run additional apps. The walled garden to date has limited the apps to browser and streaming but there is no reason to assume that will not change. It is technically capable of running any other category of app,

But hey, if calling it a game console and not attacking those walled gardens somehow magically makes is not a general purpose computer, ok. I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: dead.cell

ToyoCorollaGR

macrumors regular
May 21, 2023
When they are able to play movies, browse the web, and run other apps - yes they are.

The fact that they are sold at a loss is irrelevant. The fact they support mouse and keyboard and allow installation of apps is not. They support install of apps from their walled garden app stores. They have full web browser, including access to MS Office (for example).

May people could use a console as their primary computer - browse, mail, chat, office, stream.

They are sold as “game consoles” but they are able to install and run additional apps. The walled garden to date has limited the apps to browser and streaming but there is no reason to assume that will not change. It is technically capable of running any other category of app,

But hey, if calling it a game console and not attaching those walled gardens somehow magically makes is not a general purpose computer, ok. I guess.
Ok 🤷🤦‍♂️

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada

But hey, if calling it a game console and not attaching those walled gardens somehow magically makes is not a general purpose computer, ok. I guess.
I actually sort of agree with you, if games consoles want to have their own App Stores they should also be treated as platforms and either remove the stores and web browsers or open themselves up in the same way that iOS and Android are being required to do so.

dead.cell

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2014
Amerika
Sweeney is the majority stake holder, like I said, good luck 🙄
You're right, especially since Sweeney's whole shtick is that he always needs a little more. 🤣

Of course, if Disney's bid for 9% of the company at $1.5bn goes though, then maybe Epic are a little desperate to give more away given the steep valuation drop that puts them at.

Apple would be better off not touching them at all imo. Garbage company.

ToyoCorollaGR

macrumors regular
May 21, 2023
You're right, especially since Sweeney's whole shtick is that he always needs a little more. 🤣

Of course, if Disney's bid for 9% of the company at $1.5bn goes though, then maybe Epic are a little desperate to give more away given the steep valuation drop that puts them at.

Apple would be better off not touching them at all imo. Garbage company.
32 billion worth of trash 🤷🤦‍♂️

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Except games consoles aren't general use devices no matter how much you argue 🙄
Wrong. Many things are perfectly capable of being general purpose devices. They have the processing power.

Games consoles have both processing, graphics and memory that would make them general purpose.

Smart TVs (especially 8K ones) have very capable computing power They need it for all the IT tasks they do to upscale and process images. They connect to the internet. They have an OS that updates. Some monitors now are able to act as terminals with just a keyboard and mouse and run Office 365.

Consoles are limited because the makers want to protect their sales of controlled games and content.
Pure and simple.

ToyoCorollaGR

macrumors regular
May 21, 2023
Wrong. Many things are perfectly capable of being general purpose devices. They have the processing power.

Games consoles have both processing, graphics and memory that would make them general purpose.

Smart TVs (especially 8K ones) have very capable computing power They need it for all the IT tasks they do to upscale and process images. They connect to the internet. They have an OS that updates. Some monitors now are able to act as terminals with just a keyboard and mouse and run Office 365.

Consoles are limited because the makers want to protect their sales of controlled games and content.
Pure and simple.
Except they aren't classified as such, pure and simple 🙄

Boneslasher

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
ITALY
Maybe the following helps in understanding the difference: Imagine you bought a car and every gas station in the world would have to pass 30% of the revenue to your car manufacturer each time you fueled your car. Or each time you bought new tires, 30% of the revenue needed to be passed to your car manufacturer. This would never happen and would be considered as illegal anywhere in the world.
Well... imagine you wrote a song and you need to pay 30% of each sale to the software house you used for writing the song or, in this case, 50-75% to the company who is selling your song. Still a steal.
I'm not sure I would prefer a world where I have to pay for every service Apple offers "included in the package".
15% for small devs is more than honest, in my humble opinion. Feel free to disagree, but I live in a country where I pay 35% takes whatever I do ...

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I actually sort of agree with you, if games consoles want to have their own App Stores they should also be treated as platforms and either remove the stores and web browsers or open themselves up in the same way that iOS and Android are being required to do so.
MS is reportedly going to open the next xbox, probably by just putting regular Windows on it with an xbox overlay. I'm not sure how sony would respond. I suspect nintendo would just drop the digital store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.