Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

no_idea

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2018
I’m guessing since Epic was able to side step the Android market place to capture full profit, they expect they should be allowed to do the same with apple. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Apple isn’t a monopoly. Android is far greater in market share.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Who are you guys going to bet on? Seems like Epic is actually getting somewhere, regardless of what you think about their claims.

Reactions: PC_tech

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Yeah, but you just missed out on one thing such as BMW selling you the car that can only be driven to BMW grocery store. If you want Publix I'm sorry buddy you gotta walk or take a bus or cab
But I can just walk into a Wal-Mart and sell Gizmo's Candy with no issues, right? I mean, who cares if Wal-Mart has to pay rent, utilities, employees etc. I just want to set up a table inside and pay them nothing. It's cool.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
No they aren’t. The judge has already expressed, numerous times, that epic has a very uphill battle. What makes you think they are getting somewhere?
The fact that this still continues despite the evidences that Epic already planned this from few years ago, including intentionally breaking the App Store ToS via a hotfix.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
No they aren’t. The judge has already expressed, numerous times, that epic has a very uphill battle. What makes you think they are getting somewhere?
I'm sure at the end, apple will likely have some changes they might need to do, but really, Epic will lose hard. They have lost way too much having Fortnite off the store, those customers moved on, and its tarnished Epics name. Fortnite isn't even as big as it was when this whole thing started, and by the time it goes back on Apple (if ever, again, this is because Epic is choosing it not to be), the damage is done.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Nearly every Nintendo console has been sold for a profit. Few examples exist (original 3DS, IIRC).

Sony/MS/Nintendo not only get a 30% cut, but also money for every disc/cartridge printed.

Also - the big three make money selling their online services ($60/$60/$20), while Apple does not. They will quikly make back that hardware loss for an obvious sale.
Because they are in business of distributing games.

Reactions: PC_tech

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
What does that have to do with my post?
Because you were stating that you didn't want Epic to bankrupt or employees to lose their jobs at Epic due to this lawsuit. I was just explaining how it doesn't matter who wins or loses. There will be no financial loss.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
The fact that this still continues despite the evidences that Epic already planned this from few years ago, including intentionally breaking the App Store ToS via a hotfix.

It still continues because that’s the way the legal system works. As long as Epic is willing to pay its lawyers, the case continues. That doesn’t mean they are getting anywhere.

The fact that they “planned it” doesn’t mean they are getting anywhere. 40 years ago I planned to be president of the United States. Things aren’t going according to plan.

And the fact that they intentionally broke the terms of service has already gotten them in serious trouble with the judge, who excoriated them for it. Throwing a rock through my neighbor’s window did nothing to further my plan to become President.

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
By having a 30% commission on the AppStore , us (the consumer) are paying extra for it. Why is everyone supporting Apple?
What makes you think that Epic (or anyone else) would actually lower their prices if they were to allow side-loading / alt-app stores ?

Unless a legal cap was put on product mark-up for digital goods there would be no safeguard for what consumers pay.

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Yeah, but you just missed out on one thing such as BMW selling you the car that can only be driven to BMW grocery store. If you want Publix I'm sorry buddy you gotta walk or take a bus or cab
And it was well known to be the case when you bought said BMW but you bought it anyway

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
Because you were stating that you didn't want Epic to bankrupt or employees to lose their jobs at Epic due to this lawsuit. I was just explaining how it doesn't matter who wins or loses. There will be no financial loss.

That is absolutely nothing to do with my post. Your reply was completely irreverent and should have been its own post or at worst replying to the OP.

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
By having a 30% commission on the AppStore , us (the consumer) are paying extra for it. Why is everyone supporting Apple?
And how exactly is the consumer paying extra? Last I checked when Apple lowered their portion of the commission prices on the App Store remained the same. Do you truly think if Apple lowered commissions that the developer would extend the savings to their customers? You're in dreamland if you think so. That's why I take issue to people here highly defending developers that do not give a rat's behind about the people here chanting for them. They will still charge the same amount for their apps.

Reactions: Xak444

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland

Developers like myself get more money per sale from Apple than Epic. So no, if anything without Apple you would be paying more. And as a previous poster noted, you would be paying a lot more for software as developer costs are significantly higher on the Epic store. The only lower cost store just now is Microsofts as they are feature competitive with Valve and Apple.

Even though Epic game store is more expensive, we would still charge the same $39.99 or $9.99 as Steam, AppStore, and Google Play. The cheeper stores like Steam, Google Play, and The AppStore would just subside the losses made on the Epic store.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Microsoft just lowered their commission on the Windows store (for PC & Surface) to 12%:

Coincidently, the Epic Store also has a 12% commission rate.
Epic has two rates: 12% and 25%
Apple has two rates: 15% and 30%

The difference is that Epic's higher rate is used when Epic has to handle transactions and Apple's higher rate is used when app revenue is over $1 million annually. Apple handles transactions for both of their rates. Epic gives everyone a choice of two rates regardless of revenue. Apple's system looks better at the low end for smaller developers and Epic's looks better at the high end for larger developers.

IMO, this kind of comparison is essentially a wash. There's not much to be gained by making the comparison.

Reactions: WiseAJ

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
That is absolutely nothing to do with my post. Your reply was completely irreverent and should have been its own post or at worst replying to the OP.
Well what were you stating then? Go back and read what you wrote.

Last edited by a moderator:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
It still continues because that’s the way the legal system works. As long as Epic is willing to pay its lawyers, the case continues. That doesn’t mean they are getting anywhere.

The fact that they “planned it” doesn’t mean they are getting anywhere. 40 years ago I planned to be president of the United States. Things aren’t going according to plan.

And the fact that they intentionally broke the terms of service has already gotten them in serious trouble with the judge, who excoriated them for it. Throwing a rock through my neighbor’s window did nothing to further my plan to become President.
I thought the planning thing already showed that Epic has an ill intent, yet they still allow them to continue.
Oh well, I don’t quite understand the US justice system. We’ll see.

gregmancuso

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2014
Now to the heart of this case: The 30% fee. Epic says the 30% Apple charges for in-app fees was not based on costs required to maintain the app store or make it secure. "There's a name for businesses that set prices without regard to costs: Monopolists."

This has got to be one of the dumbest statements I've heard in this case yet. I don't know about every business out there but I generally set my prices at what the market with bear and based on the value of my product. I am in business to make money. To say that we should only charge the minimum to cover our costs would make all businesses non-profits.

I am not making any statement on the amount of the fees charged. Personally, I don't have a problem with the fees but that is not to say that others feel they are too high. I'll leave it to others to argue the value for the fee.

I know I am commenting from a quote in a tweet. I truly hope there was more context to the statement. At face value it is absurd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.