epiphany about the rumored screen size

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Siggen, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Siggen, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

Siggen macrumors 6502

I have from the start of the rumor been a tad disappointed about the screen size. I thought it would be too long and not wide enough. I thought I'd maybe even buy another phone (I'm far from must having apple products). It has been troubling me, until I got an epiphany! It is the exact same screen size as my current phone, which I love the screen. How could I bee so stupid I thought.

I have the SonyEricsson Xperia Play, which has a 4 inch 16:9 format screen. I love this screen size, I just didn't realize that the iPhone was changing to this! It feels wide, it feels long, it feels great, I can reach the whole screen with my thumb without looking dumb.

Here is my phone next to a picture of the render, with aprox size match. (its not exact, did it in photoshop over teamviewer from work to home)
    [​IMG]

2. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

Are you sure it's 16:9? Because to me, it looks like 16:10. But maybe thats just me:)

3. Siggen thread starter macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

measured my phones screen with a school ruler (hey not the most accurate but close enough) It measured aprox 5cm * 9cm, which is the same.

4. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

Okay:) Well that's good news for me, because I'm a little bit afraid that the new ratio would be a problem for one hand use.

5. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

16:9

6. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

Thank you for confirming that:)

7. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

a quick shop...

Attached Files:

8. Siggen thread starter macrumors 6502

For me the same, but this epiphany happened while I was talking to my brother in law, who is an Android fan(atic). (me I use both Android and iOS). And he was hoping for this ratio so I looked into it.

Then I realized it compared to my favorite screen size thus far ^_^

9. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

my TV and Mac are both 16:9, so why not my phone :)

10. Siggen thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, the Macbooks are 16:10 while the iMac's are 16:9

11. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Depends what Macbook you get.....the 11" air (which I use mostly) is 16:9, while the 13" is 16:10

12. Siggen thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, you are right (had to check :p )

Anyway, the new iPhone screen size will be awesome!!

13. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

really excited about it :)

it is really weird that they would go 16:9 only for the 11", but it works better with my eyes haha

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Good find. Although, stating how good Apple's potential screen is by comparing it to that particular phone may not be doing it any favors. ;) all joking aside, interesting thread.

15. vcao macrumors regular

For those keeping score at home, heres a comparison for the current size versus the 16:9 xperia screen. Looks pretty good, consider me sold!

[​IMG]

16. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

Great Thread. I have been wondering what certain apps would look like on the new iPhone. I have seen renders but more comparison shots would be amazing if you could. Thanks!

17. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

I never understood what the problem is with a 16:9 screen. I figure the naysayers are either:

-android trolls who downplay just about anything that is rumored to come out of apple (except a 4.8" screen on a phone that looks like something samsung made)
    -bitter, angry people who try to get a rise out of others by blabbering on about isheep, and buying whatever apple tells em to buy, rdf etc in every thread :rolleyes: (these guys should really get a life)
    -people who resist change -which is a natural thing really- and cling to the current screen size.

While I am relatively large and have much larger hands than the chubby paws I see folks here post pics of occasionally, I like the size of the current iphone very much, but I always felt the screen should be a little bigger in relation to the front panel, and that's about to become reality. So all in all, I'm delighted with apple's rumored design choices. Hopefully the rumors are true and they don't release another 3.5 incher, or something ridiculously large.

18. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Looking more and more like a reality with today's news of iOS's ability to render different resolutions.

19. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

So what's all the one hand talk? I didn't really have an issue using the galaxy note with one hand and I have medium sized hands

What do you need your other hand for?? Stop whacking it...and come to the larger screen side

20. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

the only time i like to use two hands is when I am texting really fast. Other than that I like to feel like I won't drop the phone and can touch everything on the screen with 1 hand. People with small hands, like me, cannot do this with much more than a 4" screen...maybe a 4.3"....so longer is actually better than wider for that purpose

21. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

Then stick with the 4s...:)

22. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I just think that is Apple's logic with screen size....only jumping to 4" is a very safe move.

23. hobo.hopkins macrumors 6502a

hobo.hopkins

You must have massive hands if you can use that billboard of a screen one-handed without issue.

24. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

Agree with you there

----------

Nope, I was able to get the note to rest on my hand easily and my thumb reach I'd say 90% of the screen. Only parts I couldn't reach we're the upper and lower left hand corners. But you don't have to get to those corners very often

25. batting1000 macrumors 604

The reason people are complaining is because it LOOKS really long compared to the current iPhone, but I think everyone will love it when they actually get to see it in person. It will take getting use to because we've never used a bigger / longer iPhone.