Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
So how will internet be determined? As in like, if I have better service with a certain provider. Will the iPhone XS switch to the better signal?

hopefully someone can correct me if I am wrong, but my guess would be you only have 1 data plan. Two cell plans with only one containing data.

jessebkr87

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
hopefully someone can correct me if I am wrong, but my guess would be you only have 1 data plan. Two cell plans with only one containing data.

fb812df3837197995dedd1889a3a1cc9.jpg

Reactions: jpn

skeuomorphism

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2015
You have to get a QR code from a carrier? Are they not going to support just selecting a carrier from a list? That is what I would want for international travel.

lah

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
As an ATT client, i'm hoping that my ATT Next program phone, which is essentially a subscription to a phone you can upgrade ... will allow me to add another line on occasion without ATT restrictions. kind of worried about carrier restriction on the line 2 part esim.

Yes, this is my fear. I'm on the Next Program and I have a feeling it will be locked down until the phone is paid off.

On a separate note, I'm a bit confused how this will work. Once the software update gets pushed, can I chose to designate the eSIM as my primary line (ATT) and keep the physical SIM slot open for when I roam (seeing not all countries use eSIM)? Or is the physical SIM slot always the primary line?

Reactions: IlluminatedSage

HQNYC

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2018
I hate how china got a superior phone to everyone else, a physical 2nd sim slot it way more convenient then virtual sims that need to be supported on a carrier basis, now if I decide to get the XS Max im going to have to figure out how to import the one i want :/

I wouldn't say that is the Chinese iPhone XS/Max are superior. Its just that the dual SIM card tray is more convenient presently. I highly doubt that this advantage will continue to be prevalent. Apple will continue to add more and more carriers that will support their eSim technology. It's only a matter of time before you're able to purchase a cell phone plan in another country before stepping off the plane with eSim tech.

jessebkr87

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
Yes, this is my fear. I'm on the Next Program and I have a feeling it will be locked down until the phone is paid off.

On a separate note, I'm a bit confused how this will work. Once the software update gets pushed, can I chose to designate the eSIM as my primary line (ATT) and keep the physical SIM slot open for when I roam (seeing not all countries use eSIM)? Or is the physical SIM slot always the primary line?

You can choose which one is primary.

GoodWheaties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
It will be interesting to see if AT&T locks the eSIM to their network when you choose to activate it with them like they did with the iPad Pro eSIM.
I actually don’t think they were able to lock the eSIM to their network. I believe it was the previous Apple SIM (physical SIM card) that they would lock to their network.

Reactions: martyjmclean

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
As long as one is GSM and one is CDMA then I would assume this would work.

I have Verizon as my active account and AT&T as my secondary that is currently on hold. i'd work with them to set that account as a pre-paid of some sort.

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2006
Sometimes here mostly there
Bell Canada starts supporting it from Oct 19th. its unclear if they need Unlimited long distance as minimum requirement for it to work - a requirement for Apple Watch using the same tech aka NumberShare
[doublepost=1537984978][/doublepost]

Well.. it depends on the XS model.. for all phones except for Chinese market iPhone XS - one of the sim has to be eSim and the other physical one.

For Chinese market phones, you have option of both SIM cards as physical sim.
And that's why I ordered my phone from china :)

Grimbol

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2017
Berlin, Germany

I am using this in Germany with T-Mobile / Vodafone - and you can only choose one data plan, even if both SIM cards contain data plans.

Reactions: jpn

TrulsZK

macrumors regular
May 1, 2018
Norway
In comparison to have to iPhones, the main issue for me is that you can not use both SIM cards for iMessage and FaceTime
Today I frequently send iMessages from both iPhones so only being able to send iMessages from one number is a big problem for me

Also for me both iPhones have different apps, email+calendar accounts, contacts, etc
They work independently from each other with no shared/synced data between the iPhones (other than iMessage communication for file transfer).
For this to work properly for me the iPhone should have multiple accounts, similar to accounts on Mac

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008

One data plan at a time. You can switch them as needed in settings if both have data service.
[doublepost=1537988206][/doublepost]I am very excited to see how this all works. But so far, this is already better than how most Dual SIM phones work. There will be bugs but I'm so happy Apple has taken a step in this direction. And I am looking forward to ditching the 2nd phone. (I still, and will always, love my SE though.)

Reactions: mattopotamus

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
Thank you that sucks. I have sprint and my work is verizon. Was really excited to put them together! Is there a reason why this does not work? I dont have much knowledge of cellular networking..
Things will get better over time. Verizon will be shutting down it's CDMA network next year as noted. So your iPhone will not see that as CDMA anymore. Sprint will be doing the same after the merger as part of T-mobile. In time you will have two LTE providers.

Last edited:

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I actually don’t think they were able to lock the eSIM to their network. I believe it was the previous Apple SIM (physical SIM card) that they would lock to their network.

Ahhh, yes. I had completely forgotten about the Apple SIM thing. I have an iPad Pro but I’ve never actually popped open the SIM tray. I just activated the Apple SIM on T-Mobile on day one and forgot about it. In my mind, I guess I’ve always thought of it as an eSIM since I never actually put a SIM card in the iPad. Thanks for clarifying. :)

jessebkr87

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
Not liking the "default: [P] Primary >" text aesthetic. Is it just that way for the beta? Looks very Microsofty. And by Microsofty I mean crap garbage.

See above for a photo of what the support document shows. Looks like it will be changed to be more visually appealing.

Reactions: macduke

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
As an ATT client, i'm hoping that my ATT Next program phone, which is essentially a subscription to a phone you can upgrade ... will allow me to add another line on occasion without ATT restrictions. kind of worried about carrier restriction on the line 2 part esim.
Correct. Next phones are LOCKED. So both providers would have to be ATT. The Apple support note says that for dual Sim to fully work, the iPhone must be unlocked. That is not available with an ATT Next phone. As an ATT customer you will have to get your phone from the Apple upgrade program-those phones are not locked, or buy it at full price.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
It will be interesting to see if AT&T locks the eSIM to their network when you choose to activate it with them like they did with the iPad Pro eSIM.

What I don't get is why Apple can't provide a "Reset eSIM to factory settings" button. There's no reason the carrier should be able to brick the eSIM.
[doublepost=1537988822][/doublepost]
You have to get a QR code from a carrier? Are they not going to support just selecting a carrier from a list? That is what I would want for international travel.

Ideally you'd have your home carrier on the eSIM, and still use physical SIM cards when you go abroad.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
In comparison to have to iPhones, the main issue for me is that you can not use both SIM cards for iMessage and FaceTime
Today I frequently send iMessages from both iPhones so only being able to send iMessages from one number is a big problem for me

Also for me both iPhones have different apps, email+calendar accounts, contacts, etc
They work independently from each other with no shared/synced data between the iPhones (other than iMessage communication for file transfer).
For this to work properly for me the iPhone should have multiple accounts, similar to accounts on Mac

It's important to note that as of today the iMessage\Facetime platform only allows you to support one phone number. But with Dual Sim in place there is no reason that they could not change this. You can already support several email address's, I would not be surprised to see them add support for 2 phone numbers.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
What I don't get is why Apple can't provide a "Reset eSIM to factory settings" button. There's no reason the carrier should be able to brick the eSIM.
[doublepost=1537988822][/doublepost]

Ideally you'd have your home carrier on the eSIM, and still use physical SIM cards when you go abroad.
I agree with you on the reset button for eSIM. I have Verizon and T-Mobile. I don't want T-Mobile locking my eSIM, should I decide to change carriers down the road. Would be very disappointing if that happened, especially when I have a SIM-free phone.

patrickbarnes

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
All things old are new again, remember old CDMA phones that didn't have SIM cards? This is essentially the same thing with a new name.

Not really. It’s a programmable SIM. CDMA had a fixed ID attached to the device which the carrier provisioned.

Correct. You can;’t use two CDMA carriers

Verizon is an LTE carrier. You can use the Verizon network with a pure LTE (no CDMA) device. Just put a SIM into it.

The issue with having both Verizon and Sprint is that the eSIM can’t be programmed to support a CDMA carrier.

Both of these networks can be used without CDMA at all if you really want to, but it’s not something they’d encourage or support, so Apple isn’t going to advertise that.

Reactions: akidokraja

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
You can’t use apps that use data while on a call with the line with no data (unless you’re on WiFi). So forget about pulling up Waze to check traffic while on a line with no data.

Only 1 of the 2 lines can use iMessage at a time without switching lines for iMessage in Settings. I have two iPhones now just to be able to iMessage with both lines on both phones. Dual-SIM does nothing to help me carry only one phone. None of the other iCloud features will be available either for the secondary line (FaceTime, Contacts, WiFi calling, text message forwarding/syncing, etc).

So if you carry 2 phones to separate home/work with all the features of iCloud for the 2nd line, you will have to continue to do so.

Why anyone would want to be forced to text someone on their second line using SMS without automatically switching to iMessage is beyond me.

Last edited:
Reactions: palebluedot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.