Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jessebkr87

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
so the articles mentions this:

As Apple outlines on its website, both numbers used with a dual-SIM iPhone can make and receive voice calls and SMS/MMS messages, but an iPhone can only use one cellular data network at a time. That means if one number is on a call, a call to the other number will go to voicemail.

I currently have two lines with AT&T. One number my clients have and the other is for personal use. Is the article saying that if I'm on the phone with Line 1 that Line 2 will go directly to voicemail?

Yes.

MacWanker

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
I remember Orange had a feature called Line 2 which was 2 separate lines on one SIM, each could be billed separately. And this was in the 90's.

Then again, they had WildFire for voice-controlled answerphone, so there you go....

It was good. I had an 'everyday 50' plan as my line 2 starting I think in around 2000, grandfathered for many years until they finally stopped offering Line 2 functionality. I think they finally discontinued it about 5 or 6 years ago? Worked on my nokia and multiple blackberry handsets

Was great - functioned effectively as a completely separate number, and if you were on a call the other would still ring...

Reactions: MrGimper

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
In comparison to have to iPhones, the main issue for me is that you can not use both SIM cards for iMessage and FaceTime
Today I frequently send iMessages from both iPhones so only being able to send iMessages from one number is a big problem for me

Also for me both iPhones have different apps, email+calendar accounts, contacts, etc
They work independently from each other with no shared/synced data between the iPhones (other than iMessage communication for file transfer).
For this to work properly for me the iPhone should have multiple accounts, similar to accounts on Mac

I agree. I keep my work phone separate from my personal for legal/practical reasons and also because any one who has ever been laid off can attest, you don't want your personal and work stuff mixed together. It would be cool if eSIM could have a "protected work space" for corporate and work users that is walled off from the personal and can be controlled by the company. That protects my personal data from the company and the company data from me in the event of a departure.
[doublepost=1537993594][/doublepost]
You can’t use apps that use data while on a call with the line with no data (unless you’re on WiFi). So forget about pulling up Waze to check traffic while on a line with no data.

Only 1 of the 2 lines can use iMessage at a time without switching lines for iMessage in Settings. I have two iPhones now just to be able to iMessage with both lines on both phones. Dual-SIM does nothing to help me carry only one phone. None of the other iCloud features will be available either for the secondary line (FaceTime, Contacts, WiFi calling, text message forwarding/syncing, etc).

So if you carry 2 phones to separate home/work with all the features of iCloud for the 2nd line, you will have to continue to do so.

Why anyone would want to be forced to text someone on their second line using SMS without automatically switching to iMessage is beyond me.

Something like T-Mobile Digits seems superior to dual e-sim, no?

Reactions: Breaking Good

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I am in Europe, here it says " Add Data plan" tap on it and a QR scanner shows up, or is this something else entirely?
There's no Settings-cellular, only Settings-Mobile Data.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I agree. I keep my work phone separate from my personal for legal/practical reasons and also because any one who has ever been laid off can attest, you don't want your personal and work stuff mixed together. It would be cool if eSIM could have a "protected work space" for corporate and work users that is walled off from the personal and can be controlled by the company. That protects my personal data from the company and the company data from me in the event of a departure.
[doublepost=1537993594][/doublepost]

I agree here. This won't be the solution for everyone. For me, as a consultant/freelancer, I have 2 numbers because I travel back & forth. But both numbers belong to *me* so this is a perfect solution.

Something like T-Mobile Digits seems superior to dual e-sim, no?

I think Digits was really about testing how the cellular watch would work. Digits was about 1 number to 2 phones/devices. Dual SIM is 2 numbers to 1 device.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I hate how china got a superior phone to everyone else, a physical 2nd sim slot it way more convenient then virtual sims that need to be supported on a carrier basis, now if I decide to get the XS Max im going to have to figure out how to import the one i want :/
While China's phone will functionally superior in the very near future, I bet many more carriers will support eSIM next year. I don't know about you, but managing SIM cards isn't something I enjoy doing.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
While China's phone will functionally superior in the very near future, I bet many more carriers will support eSIM next year. I don't know about you, but managing SIM cards isn't something I enjoy doing.

One time I was switching SIMs on the plane when we hit a little pocket of turbulence and my Three SIM fell into the seats :eek:. I had to go to the Three store for a new one but from then on, I did my switcharoo in the lounge before I boarded. lol

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I hate how china got a superior phone to everyone else, a physical 2nd sim slot it way more convenient then virtual sims that need to be supported on a carrier basis, now if I decide to get the XS Max im going to have to figure out how to import the one i want :/

An eSim is much easier when you travel, for instance, you travel to Thailand (Just to pick one), you register your phone on the internet at home, as soon as you arrive it will work, how is a physical one more convenient, you have to go to the country, find a store, register which will take time, a physical sim is not free most of the times and you have to fiddle with the Sim card slot, oh crap, I forgot the Sim extractor!

I travel a lot, an eSim is MUCH better if all carriers support it, FACT.

duaneu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Thank you that sucks. I have sprint and my work is verizon. Was really excited to put them together! Is there a reason why this does not work? I dont have much knowledge of cellular networking..
Sprint isn’t listed as one of the carriers that will be supporting eSIM anyway.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Looks like you can specify a specific line for people in your Contacts. Nice.

Skitch Image 2.png Skitch Image.png

Reactions: caoimhe

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I’m guessing if your carrier supports eSIM it will work exactly like a physical sim?

I assume you can roam anywhere on your eSIM that you could on a physical sim - IE exactly the same networks?

Reactions: jpn

biglipps66

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
I can confirm even when dev beta dropped that the carriers are NOT ready for this yet. I spent time trying everything at 2 carriers and they're simply not ready yet.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I can confirm even when dev beta dropped that the carriers are NOT ready for this yet. I spent time trying everything at 2 carriers and they're simply not ready yet.

Many carriers will be hesitant to support eSIM.

Apple is given additional control and the ability to get a revenue cut from eSIM activations.

Wireless customers can switch carriers more easily.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Many carriers will be hesitant to support eSIM.

Apple is given additional control and the ability to get a revenue cut from eSIM activations.

Wireless customers can switch carriers more easily.

At the same time, it could increase revenue. People like me will likely subscribe to pre-paid 1 week or 1 day plans when traveling, even domestically, in order to fill in coverage gaps.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
In comparison to have to iPhones, the main issue for me is that you can not use both SIM cards for iMessage and FaceTime
Today I frequently send iMessages from both iPhones so only being able to send iMessages from one number is a big problem for me

i too am concerned about not having iMessage (and therefore Face Time as well?) available on both.
i wonder if this is due to only having data usage availability on one of the lines at the same time?

but, even if the above is true, wouldn't you still be able to register the eSIM mobile number as associated with your official apple iCloud ID and therefore be able to receive iMessages on yr eSIM number and still be able to send iMessages using the plan that has data?
[doublepost=1538003501][/doublepost]
I have 2 phones on the same iCloud account and both have iMessage enabled. I can get iMessages to my UK# on my US phone and vice versa.

this is accurate.

i have registered a Vietnam mobile number as a trusted mobile number within iCloud iD.
i receive iMessages sent to that number even when i have a different (my Japan) main SIM in my phone while in Japan.
this is even on an old iPhone 6s.

Last edited:

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
An eSim is much easier when you travel, for instance, you travel to Thailand (Just to pick one), you register your phone on the internet at home, as soon as you arrive it will work, how is a physical one more convenient, you have to go to the country, find a store, register which will take time, a physical sim is not free most of the times and you have to fiddle with the Sim card slot, oh crap, I forgot the Sim extractor!

I travel a lot, an eSim is MUCH better if all carriers support it, FACT.
A physical SIM will be easier because no carriers in Thailand (or the whole SE Asia) support the eSIM. So you basically paid for a “dual” SIM phone but got a practically single SIM phone. That’s the reality. No point in hoping for every carriers to support eSIM. Heck, if AT&T is still allowed to locked the eSIM, you know that’s a consumer hostile feature.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
A physical SIM will be easier because no carriers in Thailand (or the whole SE Asia) support the eSIM. So you basically paid for a “dual” SIM phone but got a practically single SIM phone. That’s the reality. No point in hoping for every carriers to support eSIM. Heck, if AT&T is still allowed to locked the eSIM, you know that’s a consumer hostile feature.
You didn’t pay for a dual sim phone. The phone price didn’t change when because of the inclusion of esim.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Hong Kong also gets the dual physical SIM version of the iPhone XS Max, which is really convenient and you can use the dual SIM function on day 1.

bsb7140

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2017
Will I be able to move my T-Mobile to the esim and use a physical SIM card for data when I travel? Doesn’t seem to be setup to just buy a data plan for travel and add to the esim.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
You didn’t pay for a dual sim phone. The phone price didn’t change when because of the inclusion of esim.
Apple advertised dual SIM as a feature, yet in most markets the eSIM is unusable so people practically only get a single SIM phone.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2009
Good to see Apple has added dual sim. I look forward to getting this feature in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.