Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Opened a new bag of coffee from Dave's Coffee in Rhode Island. "Falcon" It's a medium roast that's normally for cold brewing, but it works well hot, too. It's a blend of beans from Papua New Guinea and Rwanda. Dave's did a nice job on this one! It's a good blend!

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
While I brewed a pot of coffee for the wife and son (the same Falcon, as above), I didn't have any. I opted, instead, to have a nice refreshing glass of coffee milk. It's a Rhode Island favourite from my childhood and something I indulge in frequently. It's a condensed, cold brewed coffee syrup from Dave's Coffee. A nice change up.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Cold coffee concentrate and milk? Yeah, that's always refreshing. Currently having a sweet cappuccino. Ate too much today. Sweetness should help the digestion get going.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Cold coffee concentrate and milk? Yeah, that's always refreshing. Currently having a sweet cappuccino. Ate too much today. Sweetness should help the digestion get going.
It's a bit different than mass produced coffee concentrates. It's a coffee syrup. They make it with cold brewed coffee and sugar then reduce it. It's great stuff, pretty sweet for some peoples tastes, but I've always loved it. It goes well as a drizzle over ice cream, too. And in cocktails.

From Dave's: "
It all starts with our fresh roasted coffee. We've selected a superb Brazilian bean and roasted it specifically to be used in our coffee syrup. It's nutty, sweet, smooth and roasted with it's natural smokey goodness. The finished roast then rests for two days.

After resting the coffee is ground and cold brewed for 18 hours in our modified stainless steel kettle.

Finally, the cold brewed coffee is drained and combined with pure cane sugar. The mixture of coffee and sugar is brought to a boil and simmers for over an hour. During this time the syrup reduces and the sugar begins to caramelize. When the syrup reaches the perfect consistency, it is hot bottled into our signature amber glass bottles. The amber glass protects the sweet flavor of our coffee syrup from the environment.

There's a whole lot of love that goes into each bottle of Dave's Coffee Syrup. And, from the roasted coffee to the bottled syrup, we do it all right here in Rhode Island. For a classic coffee milk, mix two generous tablespoons of Dave's Coffee Syrup into a glass of cold milk and enjoy."

COFFEE-SYRUP-2_1024x1024.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Admittedly I don't know much about these. I do see them up for sale at a Blue Bottle location near our offices. I've seen other brands pop up in stores. No idea how fresh it can be.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It's a bit different than mass produced coffee concentrates. It's a coffee syrup. They make it with cold brewed coffee and sugar then reduce it. It's great stuff, pretty sweet for some peoples tastes, but I've always loved it. It goes well as a drizzle over ice cream, too. And in cocktails.

It all starts with our fresh roasted coffee. We've selected a superb Brazilian bean and roasted it specifically to be used in our coffee syrup. It's nutty, sweet, smooth and roasted with it's natural smokey goodness. The finished roast then rests for two days.

After resting the coffee is ground and cold brewed for 18 hours in our modified stainless steel kettle.

Finally, the cold brewed coffee is drained and combined with pure cane sugar. The mixture of coffee and sugar is brought to a boil and simmers for over an hour. During this time the syrup reduces and the sugar begins to caramelize. When the syrup reaches the perfect consistency, it is hot bottled into our signature amber glass bottles. The amber glass protects the sweet flavor of our coffee syrup from the environment.

There's a whole lot of love that goes into each bottle of Dave's Coffee Syrup. And, from the roasted coffee to the bottled syrup, we do it all right here in Rhode Island. For a classic coffee milk, mix two generous tablespoons of Dave's Coffee Syrup into a glass of cold milk and enjoy."

I'm old-school on such matters, especially where coffee is concerned.

Kenyan coffee (Hario dripper, filter paper and Kenyan coffee) coming up shortly.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars

That sounds really interesting minus the sugar. I’m not that interested of it. Trying to keep that low.
Never use ordinary sugar in my various coffee’s.
But I yet have to try doing cold brew. But one of these days, I will.
My espresso machine is too good and keeps me lazy these days from the experimenting outside its capabilities. And I haven’t seen a coldbrew program ;)

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
I'm old-school on such matters, especially where coffee is concerned.

Kenyan coffee (Hario dripper, filter paper and Kenyan coffee) coming up shortly.
That sounds really interesting minus the sugar. I’m not that interested of it. Trying to keep that low.
Never use ordinary sugar in my various coffee’s.
But I yet have to try doing cold brew. But one of these days, I will.
My espresso machine is too good and keeps me lazy these days from the experimenting outside its capabilities. And I haven’t seen a coldbrew program ;)

Yeah, coffee syrup isn't in the same league as a real cup of hot coffee. It's a sweet treat and not to be confused with coffee concentrates, (which I don't care for). It certainly wouldn't be too good to my taste, though, if it wasn't sweetened. It's like having a chocolate milk, but coffee. When I went to school in Japan, I was quite surprised to see that they had coffee milk over there. That was quite comforting, for me.

Today, though I am having Fairwinds, from Kings Coast Coffee, out of NY. It's a blend of Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, Colombia , San Marcos de Tarrazú, San Jose, Costa Rica and Huehuetenango, Guatemala.

It's a really nice medium roast of some of the best coffee's that Central and South America have to offer.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Cappuccino while figuring out which new TV series to try out. There's a new Lost like show (okay nothing in common apart from an aircraft in a semi-time warp) that @D.T. may like. It's called Manifest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.