Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
An order for a new coffee supply sent in today.....this time it's all a batch of favorites.

Today I'm finishing the last of some dark roast beans, a very nice coffee with notes of dark chocolate, cherry and, um.....charcoal briquettes? Or perhaps it's a note of fireplace logs the morning after a nice fire?

That's the thing about dark roasts, you do get a taste of the darker roast which does tend to override the inherent flavors of the beans. I find I'm not so much of a fan of dark roasts these days

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
An order for a new coffee supply sent in today.....this time it's all a batch of favorites.

Today I'm finishing the last of some dark roast beans, a very nice coffee with notes of dark chocolate, cherry and, um.....charcoal briquettes? Or perhaps it's a note of fireplace logs the morning after a nice fire?

That's the thing about dark roasts, you do get a taste of the darker roast which does tend to override the inherent flavors of the beans. I find I'm not so much of a fan of dark roasts these days
Likewise.

I used to think that I liked dark roasts, and (very belatedly) came to the realisation that actually, I don't.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
It is a strange thing. I bought a packet of Lavazza Tierra Planet coffee
View attachment 2091921
mainly because it was half price.

It makes nice coffee, but the coffee puck sticks to the group head, and doesn't stay in the portafilter when I take it out after brewing. That means I have to reach up and remove the puck (very hot) with my fingers, getting hot, wet grounds all over everything. Then I have to clean the head with a wet cloth before I can do any more.

At least it works nicely in my Aeropress...

I don't know what happened, but it started to get really bitter. I junked the last little bit that was left and bought a packet of this --

9a40fa17-d382-4b4c-87ee-3ac3a19ab340

Aldi's house brand. Roasted in Melbourne and travelled up to Sydney within a week, so it's really fresh.
Unfortunately, as others have noted in reviews, the latest batch is a little bitter, but at least there isn't the aftertaste I got with the Lavazza.

PS. I managed to fix the bitterness by using a slightly coarser grind, and slightly smaller dose.

Last edited:

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
Got a another few bags of a Mexican blend 70/30 Arabica/Robusta beans that is next up here.

However, I am really enjoying my Mexican Espresso today, after had the flu and only had espresso once the latest 2 weeks.
Mexican beans tastes a bit like…Mexico, exciting. I recall I really loved the espresso I had when I traveling there.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso has been my go to for the past 10 years. I've tried everything from Stumptown to Tim Wendelboe, but I keep coming back to Black Cat because it's not super-finicky, i.e. varying heavily from machine to machine.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I caved in and bought a Nespresso pixie.

As much as I love making coffee on my barista express, I think it will be moving to more of a weekend indulgence vs a every day thing.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso has been my go to for the past 10 years. I've tried everything from Stumptown to Tim Wendelboe, but I keep coming back to Black Cat because it's not super-finicky, i.e. varying heavily from machine to machine.
A number of years ago, I used to buy quite an amount of coffee from Intelligentsia, and always found them both excellent and highly professional: Their coffees from El Salvador were superb.

These days, I no longer buy them because, firstly, there are excellent (small, local) roasters closer to home, and secondly, as I'm in Europe, (well, the British Isles), the cost of customs and excise frequently equalled that of the coffee, and it became something that went beyond a delightful (increasingly occasional) treat into something approaching an indefensible luxury.

However, I always found Intelligentsia excellent, and recommend them highly.

Reactions: Avatar74

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I wish there were lashing rain to stare at here in Los Angeles......but for me it's a mug of Ethiopian coffee and no rain this morning

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I wish there were lashing rain to stare at here in Los Angeles......but for me it's a mug of Ethiopian coffee and no rain this morning

Well, October - the last three weeks, ever since I returned from the Balkans - has been pretty wet; actually, very wet.

Today is surprisingly pleasant.

And am debating whether I should prefer another cup of coffee this afternoon.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Well, October - the last three weeks, ever since I returned from the Balkans - has been pretty wet; actually, very wet.

Today is surprisingly pleasant.

And am debating whether I should prefer another cup of coffee this afternoon.

a pleasant day after weeks of very wet weather is without a doubt the perfect time for an afternoon coffee!

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Summer seems to have finally ended here in Los Angeles......and I'm wearing a sweater for the first time in months and enjoying a large mug of hot Ka'u coffee

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I cannot believe that I actually ran out of coffee over the week-end; anyway, since then, (a flying visit to a local coffee shop that stocks excellent coffees from small producers), I am amply stocked with Ethiopian coffee.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I cannot believe that I actually ran out of coffee over the week-end; anyway, since then, (a flying visit to a local coffee shop that stocks excellent coffees from small producers), I am amply stocked with Ethiopian coffee.

That might explain the painful shriek that was heard all the way over here in my neighborhood over the weekend...........what a horrible thing to have happen!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That might explain the painful shriek that was heard all the way over here in my neighborhood over the weekend...........what a horrible thing to have happen!

Yes, normally, I keep a very close and beady bespectacled eye on such things.

But.....running out of coffee.......Quelle horreur.

Not to be contemplated.

However, I am reasonably well supplied for now.

Reactions: Macky-Mac

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Ok, I made a mistake.
I was looking for some information to help provide TSE (above) with an answer.
I opened up Youtube and started looking for James Hoffman videos, and went down the rabbit hole.
It is now half an hour later, and I have just surfaced for air. I looked at Coffee from the 1930s, Coffee Balls, Deep Fried Coffee Beans and the Brewpipe. I ignored Cafe Lewak and a few others.
I think I need another coffee...

dockgaze

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2022
Honest question, what sort of setup would you guys recommend for someone on a budget to make some badass espresso at home?
I've tried this budget equipment route . . . and feel I succeeded with a VERY satisfying (to me) cuppa joe (I make double shot 12oz Americanos, no milk). Well beans and freshness are most everything, and I felt I had dialed in the mock pot experience fairly well . . . . BUT the hope to push the bar further with actual espresso kept nagging me. Soooooo I went with the Breville Bambino espresso machine in combination with the Oxo bean grinder. TOTALLY SATISFIED. Moved the bar, can't go back to mona pot. Dialed in the Bambino (16gram double shot; #4 grind on the Oxo) . . . . did double multiple blind testings with my wife (moka pot vs Bambino) . . . . end of story, have my happy setup!!! Hope you find yours!!

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Honest question, what sort of setup would you guys recommend for someone on a budget to make some badass espresso at home?

First, some good beans. Get some roasted in your home country so it doesn't spend three months in a ship to get to you.
Second get a good grinder.
Third, choose a coffee making process and practice with it until you get good.

Coffee making processes to think of --
  • Aeropress
  • Pour over coffee filter
  • Basic, but good quality expresso machine
As mentioned in my previous note, look up James Hoffman on Youtube. But beware, set aside a couple of hours as you won't be doing anything else while you watch them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.