Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
If someone is benefitting, then someone else is losing.
In that case, it may be the U.S. Since most of Apple's work happens here, they probably owe far more in taxes here than they're actually paying.
Either way, I'm glad to see loopholes like this getting closed.
Your logic is odd - when someone benefits someone else looses? so when I buy food do I benefit or lose? I'm confused???????? Are we talking about a free market? I guess not.

JLL

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
now now now - link to the entire article please - 4,000 people - hardly significant - more like a rounding error.

http://www.cultofmac.com/324445/inside-apples-secretive-imac-plant-in-ireland/

You said "no manufacturing" which is wrong.

They have been building computers for 36 years in Ireland, and in the nineties they also had a plant in the Czech Republic.

Furthermore they handle all AppleCare in Europe, and the Apple Stores. The warehouse facilities are in the Netherlands.

Perhaps 4,000 people is a rounding error to you, but I hardly think you know how many people are involved in the same positions in other parts of the world.

Hardly a tax base.

copykris

Suspended
Sep 25, 2009
home
world war III won't involve bombs - its going to be a war of taxes. So I assume the European union wants the U.S. to raise taxes on European companies doing business here. Who ultimately will be the ones hurt - us the consumers. Thank you EU for another of your moronic decisions. No wonder England left.

you gotta love when people who don't really understand what's going on chime in with their 'opinion'

priceless

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
punishment to Ireland - aren't they an independent country? Can't they determine their own fate? Is the EU their overlord? Sounds very George Orwell 1984 to me.

No they can't do whatever they want, that's what happens when you are part of the single market EU, their are thousands of EU laws and regulations to must adhere to. And it's hardly that bad considering the wealth of some country's who are members.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
I hope you're in one of the countries where the price of the phone goes up $100 in your face. #Consequences

I'd buy an Android then. Most of my friend have a android anyway, so big deal. The iPhone hype is dead, the coolness factor is long gone and dead. TBH the only thing keeping me on iPhone is that I don't want to bother migrating my data and the data in the apps. Also I don't want to tinker stuff anymore, it just has to be stable, reliable and work.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
As always, no government is ever held to account. The Irish government will face no penalty.
They should both face penalties but in fact neither will. Ireland will simple be told the sweetheart deal they did with Apple was illegal and they need to retrospectively collect the missing 10.5 percent of additional tax from Apple. Ireland makes out like a bandit.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
You said "no manufacturing" which is wrong.

They have been building computers for 36 years in Ireland, and in the nineties they also had a plant in the Czech Republic.

Furthermore they handle all AppleCare in Europe, and the Apple Stores. The warehouse facilities are in the Netherlands.

Perhaps 4,000 people is a rounding error to you, but I hardly think you know how many people are involved in the same positions in other parts of the world.

Hardly a tax base.
i thought we were talking about Ireland and the infrastructure Apple has there in relation to the taxes they pay in Ireland. Yes it is a rounding error in Ireland based on the amount of taxes they pay there. Please read this and understand the issue: https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/tax-policy/treaties/Documents/White-Paper-State-Aid.pdf

Reactions: ssgbryan

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
Only 52% of the voters did. It awaits to be seen if it was a good or bad thing, the iPhone will certainly go up in price with the new model.

And only around 30% want a second referendum. Many hated the EU but thought it'd be too risky to vote Leave. Now we have vote Leave they'd sooner respect the result than throw a tantrum like the pro-EU people.

The UK is going to be a haven as the EU sinks. Apple, or anyone, should make their investments now while its cheap.

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
I hope you're in one of the countries where the price of the phone goes up $100 in your face. #Consequences
There's no medical prescription behind buying Apple products. They offer a product and decide a price for it. It's up to you whether buy it or not, buy another product elsewhere, or buy nothing at all

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
No they can't do whatever they want, that's what happens when you are part of the single market EU, their are thousands of EU laws and regulations to must adhere to. And it's hardly that bad considering the wealth of some country's who are members.
I guess that's why America left England all those years ago - so we could forge our own destiny. Worked out pretty well for us. :)

PaulRustad007

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
Good. End corporate welfare. There is no reason why everyone else should subsidize f****** Apple.

Throw the book at them and send a message. Maybe companies will avoid using tax loopholes in the future.

How is anyone subsidizing Apple? What is the corporate welfare of which you speak? What is the point of a loop-hole if you are not going to use it? Seriously, if they think it is not fair, change the law; do not go back and demand more money after the fact when it was LEGAL to begin with!!!!!!

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
And only around 30% want a second referendum. Many hated the EU but thought it'd be too risky to vote Leave. Now we have vote Leave they'd sooner respect the result than throw a tantrum like the pro-EU people.

The UK is going to be a haven as the EU sinks. Apple, or anyone, should make their investments now while its cheap.

As I said it still remains to be seen if it was good or bad to vote leave, no one has any ideas what will happen to immigration now, chances are it will be worst, and considering Farage ran off saying sorry I lied about everything and Boris even backtracked, I don't hold much hope for it being a good thing.
We don't need a second referendum as the government can legally ignore the outcome of the last one, it's up to them what they do.

Reactions: justperry

OtherJesus

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Bay Area, California
How did people come to conclude that anything other than a flat per-capita tax was fair? Poor and old people often require just as much in government services, if not more, why should they get away owing less in taxes?
The ULTIMATE power is to tax. Therefore, making taxes "fair" is not in the best interest of those in charge of said taxes.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Yes, how terrible that they call out when some country within their ranks pulls of illegal state aid.
Job well done EU. Lousy job, as so often, for Ireland.

Totally get there are "central government" statists that support the EU to the death. But my point is there are many who are sick of it because of pedantic rulings like this. You and EU can call it "state aid" but ultimately Ireland was making an economic decision for itself, which frankly, ends up helping all of Europe in the same way Germany's industry does. Clearly, it's a better option than the route Greece took, just spending its own money and then spending other countries money. (Yeah, right Greece is going to pay it all back... ba, hah, hah).

In the U.S. states compete for companies every day with tax incentives -- there is nothing sinister about it, and it often becomes a win for the state, the company, and the federal gov't, especially when a large company like Apple is involved.

Reactions: Borin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.