Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Eve Systems today announced the availability of its Eve Outdoor Cam, which is the first outdoor HomeKit-enabled floodlight camera that supports the HomeKit Secure Video feature.

eve-outdoor-cam.jpg

First introduced at CES, the Eve Outdoor Cam is a floodlight cam that features a black metal frame and an opaque white glass for the lighting component, along with IP55 water and dust resistance. It features a 1080p camera with a 157 degree field of view, and it is able to be wall mounted with a three-axis hinge.

The Outdoor Cam works in the dark thanks to integrated infrared night vision that works up to 26 feet away, and it supports two-way communication through the built-in microphone and speaker.

HomeKit Secure Video capabilities are included in iCloud+, which is priced starting at $0.99 per month. With HomeKit Secure Video support, the Eve Outdoor Cam can save 10 days of video, plus it is privacy focused and footage is fully encrypted regardless of whether you're viewing the camera footage locally or remotely using a home hub.

There are also useful AI detection features, so users can receive notifications when motion is detected, and through ‌HomeKit Secure Video‌, the camera can detect people, animals, vehicles, and package deliveries for tailored alerts.

The $0.99 per month 50GB iCloud plan supports one HomeKit Secure Video camera, while the 200GB plan priced at $2.99 per month supports up to five. With the highest-end 2TB iCloud plan priced at $9.99 per month, an unlimited number of HomeKit Secure Video cameras can be used. Footage stored from a HomeKit Secure Video camera does not count against iCloud storage limits.

The Eve Outdoor Cam can be purchased from the Eve website for $250.

Article Link: Eve Launches First Outdoor Floodlight Camera With HomeKit Secure Video

Last edited:

calimed

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008

Eve Systems today announced the availability of its Eve Outdoor Cam, which is the first outdoor HomeKit-enabled camera that supports the HomeKit Secure Video feature.”

Doesn’t Logitech have a camera that does this?

Or am I supposed to read this as that it’s “Eve’s” first camera that does that?

Reactions: TVreporter

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
Looks nice, but what's the lumen output at 100% brightness (without the boost)

Last edited:

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Anker / Eufy has shown that they can make an indoor HomeKit Secure Video camera and sell it for under $40. ($38 on Amazon in the US as of this post.)

Are these outdoor housings really that expensive?

Reactions: FelixDerKater

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
At 1080p I would expect it to run on batteries.

It's 2022, is 4k video too much to expect? Space is no longer an issue since 18 TB drives optimized for video capture are under $400, retail.

The Outdoor Cam works in the dark thanks to integrated infrared night vision that works up to 26 feet away, and it supports two-way communication through the built-in microphone and speaker.
I'm calling this out right now. Look at this screenshot from their product page:
1652807966862.png

There is no way this camera has the resolution to capture meaningful data 26 feet away during the day, let alone at night.

Last edited:

kepardue

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2006
At 1080p I would expect it to run on batteries.

It's 2022, is 4k video too much to expect? Space is no longer an issue since 18 TB drives optimized for video capture are under $400, retail.

I'm calling this out right now. Look at this screenshot from their product page:
View attachment 2006112

There is no way this camera has the resolution to capture meaningful data 26 feet away during the day, let alone at night.
Can HKSV even handle video larger than 1080p? This is an issue that I've run into with two Netatmo outdoor cameras plus the Logitech video. There's just not enough resolution in HomeKit.

munpip214

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
It's 2022, is 4k video too much to expect?
Homekit only supports 1080 and this camera is exclusively for HomeKit.

But $250 is way too much for a smart camera. And not even 5Ghz WiFi? Sure 2.4 is better for range, but still. I guess it will go on sale eventually. Looking for reviews though for image quality. Eves other indoor cam had lower than average camera quality compared to Eufy, Ecobee, and Aqara.

Reactions: TVreporter

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Reading through the docs, it apparently can't be installed upside-down e.g. under (ironically) the eaves. (The Netatmo can.)

Reactions: xpxp2002

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Can HKSV even handle video larger than 1080p? This is an issue that I've run into with two Netatmo outdoor cameras plus the Logitech video. There's just not enough resolution in HomeKit.
I don't think it can even support "2K" resolutions.
Homekit only supports 1080 and this camera is exclusively for HomeKit.

But $250 is way too much for a smart camera. And not even 5Ghz WiFi? Sure 2.4 is better for range, but still. I guess it will go on sale eventually. Looking for reviews though for image quality. Eves other indoor cam had lower than average camera quality compared to Eufy, Ecobee, and Aqara.
Which really makes this product confusing. At the very least at this price point, it should have a higher resolution local storage with downscaling for homekit live viewing. It could backup its local storage during periods of no motion/user requests.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto

Eve Systems today announced the availability of its Eve Outdoor Cam, which is the first outdoor HomeKit-enabled camera that supports the HomeKit Secure Video feature.”

Doesn’t Logitech have a camera that does this?

Or am I supposed to read this as that it’s “Eve’s” first camera that does that?
You are correct.. I have a Logitech Circle View that supports HKSV. And the camera is nearly half the price Eve is asking.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Anker / Eufy has shown that they can make an indoor HomeKit Secure Video camera and sell it for under $40. ($38 on Amazon in the US as of this post.)

Are these outdoor housings really that expensive?
I have 4 of them, and they're garbage...they also require a Eufy base that costs $200 and are prone to failure because they have to communicate with the base before Homekit.

Reactions: Shawn Llewellyn

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
I don't think it can even support "2K" resolutions.

Which really makes this product confusing. At the very least at this price point, it should have a higher resolution local storage with downscaling for homekit live viewing. It could backup its local storage during periods of no motion/user requests.
That removes an actual selling point of the unit, that there is no Eve cloud, no local storage, when you connect to the camera you have a direct and encrypted connection.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
That removes an actual selling point of the unit, that there is no Eve cloud, no local storage, when you connect to the camera you have a direct and encrypted connection.
What good is a direct secure connection if the resolution is too poor the be useful? They could still encrypt the backups. Make the low-resolution 'live feed' work as it's currently implemented, but add a higher-resolution capture for the backups. 1080p backups are borderline useless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.