Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many Apple Watch bands do you own? OEM only.

• One band only.

Votes: 424 16.9%
  • 2/4

Votes: 904 36.0%
  • 5/8

Votes: 505 20.1%
  • 9/12

Votes: 171 6.8%
  • 12/15

Votes: 98 3.9%
  • 16/20

Votes: 71 2.8%
  • more than 20

Votes: 210 8.4%
  • more than 50

Votes: 61 2.4%
  • more than 100

Votes: 29 1.2%
  • more than 200

Votes: 25 1.0%
  • more than 250

Votes: 4 0.2%
  • more than 300

Votes: 3 0.1%
  • more than 400

Votes: 1 0.0%
  • more than 500

Votes: 2 0.1%
  • more than 600

Votes: 3 0.1%

• Total voters

Colepail

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2019
Long time no see this topic lol.

I sold my Ultra and all three alpine, trail and ocean bands. I think they're all overpriced. Just bought a SS S8 and I really really love the familiar feeling. The S8 really motivates me to buy more bands lol. Now I regularly wear the Rainforest Braided Solo loop and the Midnight sport loop.

65a18809e278c1238c978fa554f6440e.jpg

059ee036a21cffb5dc5b7803674bd8b9.jpg
The midnight SL on the SS is a sharp looking combo!

tuanlouis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2020
Do you feel it like a downgrade? How come you sold the Ultra for the SS S8? Only size issue or something more?
None the less it looks wonderful!

Good question, and here is my story.

I've used the Apple Watch Ultra for a month or more. At the beginning I liked it very much, the battery life and screen brightness are so different.

Then one day I feel I miss the iconic design by John Ive. When I wear the Apple Watch Ultra, I don't really feel it’s like Apple. You know, all previous watch faces are not optimized for AWU bigger screen, many black blanks left. It’s a strange bulky tool on my wrist.

Furthermore, I see no current band can fit the rugged style of the AWU, it can hardly go with my daily outfit. Everything is good when I switch back to SS S8, it looks and feels so elegant, iconic, something that I’ve loved for a long time. We really don’t need the design for the favorite watch, do we?

I also discovered that the titanium on AWU is not the same on Apple Watch Edition Titanium (S5 to S7), it's much easier to scratch and it's also impossible to buff out those scratches because AWU is matte finished. Those scratches look so shiny on the matte finish.

Not a second do I regret for SS S8.

Colepail

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2019
Good question, and here is my story.

I've used the Apple Watch Ultra for a month or more. At the beginning I liked it very much, the battery life and screen brightness are so different.

Then one day I feel I miss the iconic design by John Ive. When I wear the Apple Watch Ultra, I don't really feel it’s like Apple. You know, all previous watch faces are not optimized for AWU bigger screen, many black blanks left. It’s a strange bulky tool on my wrist.

Furthermore, I see no current band can fit the rugged style of the AWU, it can hardly go with my daily outfit. Everything is good when I switch back to SS S8, it looks and feels so elegant, iconic, something that I’ve loved for a long time. We really don’t need the design for the favorite watch, do we?

I also discovered that the titanium on AWU is not the same on Apple Watch Edition Titanium (S5 to S7), it's much easier to scratch and it's also impossible to buff out those scratches because AWU is matte finished. Those scratches look so shiny on the matte finish.

Not a second do I regret for SS S8.
Well said. Ultimately you should go with what feels right! its a shame they discontinued the Ti in the regular models as the ultra bands Ti lugs probably would have looked great on that… (and I guess likely do on the Ti 6+7)

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
You know, all previous watch faces are not optimized for AWU bigger screen

Not true. Some are optimized, some are not.

I also discovered that the titanium on AWU is not the same on Apple Watch Edition Titanium (S5 to S7), it's much easier to scratch

The natural Titanium Edition Watches scratched pretty easily; I doubt the Ultra is worse in this regard.

Those scratches look so shiny on the matte finish.

Do you have pictures or links to pictures? Most I saw so far were marks on the antenna bands (which are not titanium, obviously).

Colepail

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2019
The only spot I’ve noticed that is collecting a few dings is the Ti around the screen edge. Never had this issue with 0-7 as the rounded sapphire screen would smack things rather than the Ti body. That being said I never have smashed a screen but I believe it would be harder to do on the Ultra.… that Ti screen frame should take the majority of abuse from door jams etc!
1668285543059.jpeg

Reactions: AppleKarma

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
The only spot I’ve noticed that is collecting a few dings is the Ti around the screen edge. Never had this issue with 0-7 as the rounded sapphire screen would smack things rather than the Ti body. That being said I never have smashed a screen but I believe it would be harder to do on the Ultra.… that Ti screen frame should take the majority of abuse from door jams etc!
View attachment 2112151
As you said, those are dings, not scratches. Thinking about it, much as I hang around here, I don‘t think I have seen an actual scratch on an Ultra yet. I‘m sure they‘re scratchable, but I don‘t think they scratch especially easily.

Colepail

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2019

The natural Titanium Edition Watches scratched pretty easily; I doubt the Ultra is worse in this regard.

Do you have pictures or links to pictures? Most I saw so far were marks on the antenna bands (which are not titanium, obviously).
As you said, those are dings, not scratches. Thinking about it, much as I hang around here, I don‘t think I have seen an actual scratch on an Ultra yet. I‘m sure they‘re scratchable, but I don‘t think they scratch especially easily.
I’ve heard reviewers say the buckle on the alpine loop has scratched the top of the ultra case if you’re using a small size band. That buckle is right on the Ti when I’m putting it on/off and the band has to stretch a bit as well…. I have yet to see a scratch in the area. Time will tell.
The only band I’ve ever had bad scratching issues with was the DLC coated SB Milanese Loop. That thing was horrible for scratching the watch.

Last edited:

tuanlouis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2020

All old watch faces are not optimized for the Ultra yet, things are not well edge-to-edge scaled (of course except the Wayfinder face). You can see it obviously with the contour face.

I am not sure the Ti material on Ultra is worse than the previous Ti Edition, however with matte finish, scratches and dents are much more visible and shiny. I've been using the Ti Edition for 3 years and there is absolutely no dent, but the diamond-cut sharpe edge of the Ultra is so so vunerable.

I am sorry I did not take any photo of the dent before selling it :(

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
All old watch faces are not optimized for the Ultra yet, things are not well edge-to-edge scaled (of course except the Wayfinder face). You can see it obviously with the contour face.

But some watch faces are optimized, Modular for example.

I am not sure the Ti material on Ultra is worse than the previous Ti Edition, however with matte finish, scratches and dents are much more visible and shiny. I've been using the Ti Edition for 3 years and there is absolutely no dent, but the diamond-cut sharpe edge of the Ultra is so so vunerable. I am sorry I did not take any photo of the dent before selling it :(

See, now you're talking about dents that you got – not the same thing as scratches. That titanium lip around the flat screen is meant to absorb impacts, hence may get dents, but the screen won't shatter (sapphire crystal is relatively brittle). As for scratches, though, maybe you got lucky with your personal Ti Edition Watch, but if you scroll through the old "Ti Edition owners" thread, there were tons of pictures with scratches, often just days after getting the Watch, and many folks were complaining that the (natural) Ti Watch scratched very easily, actually.

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
😬 mine aren’t doing this but have only worn them a couple times. I assume the loose threads are hidden under the Velcro portion of the band when you are wearing it.
Yes they’re where the Velcro attaches to the band.

I like the band but I don’t know how long it would last if it looks like this after 2 weeks

tuanlouis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2020
But some watch faces are optimized, Modular for example.

See, now you're talking about dents that you got – not the same thing as scratches. That titanium lip around the flat screen is meant to absorb impacts, hence may get dents, but the screen won't shatter (sapphire crystal is relatively brittle). As for scratches, though, maybe you got lucky with your personal Ti Edition Watch, but if you scroll through the old "Ti Edition owners" thread, there were tons of pictures with scratches, often just days after getting the Watch, and many folks were complaining that the (natural) Ti Watch scratched very easily, actually.

On the Edition Ti, the scratches or dents make the watch timeless, but for the Ultra they make the watch really cheap. I never got scratches on screen of Apple Ti edition or stainless steel watches for years. The scratches on titanium or stainless steel is more comfortable than on the Ultra, as my feeling.

• Sad
Reactions: orbital~debris

Colepail

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2019
Yes they’re where the Velcro attaches to the band.

I like the band but I don’t know how long it would last if it looks like this after 2 weeks
I guess only time will tell… if you decide to keep it. The band should have a year warranty if I’m not mistaken. If you keep it and it becomes far worse you should be able to contact apple or go to an Apple Store for a replacement.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

GLS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
Nah I’d want an updated version.

That's the condundrum. I don't believe Apple will ever release a ceramic watch again (hopeful, but seemingly not likely). So, your alternative is to get a used one from someplace, and wear it until it's obsolete.

I'm hoping Apple will sell it again (I'd buy one in a minute), but I suspect the number of ceramic watches sold vs the development and manufacturing costs makes it not worth the money.

No Jony Ive around as well probably is a big factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.