Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today held its second fall event, which focused on the MacBook Pro and the AirPods. Apple introduced new 14 and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with a total design overhaul featuring MagSafe, no Touch Bar, HDMI port and SD card slot, and a mini-LED display that features a notch. Apple also debuted new super powerful M1 Pro and M1 Max chips, which join the existing M1 chip.

It took Apple almost an hour to introduce the new devices at today's "Unleashed" event, but we've recapped all of the announcements in a 7 minute video for our readers who want a no-frills but thorough overview of what's new. All of our event coverage is also listed below, so make sure to check it out so don't miss details about Apple's newest products.

MacBook Pros

AirPods

Software

Other Announcements

Both the new MacBook Pro models and the AirPods 3 are available for pre-order starting today, and are set to launch on Tuesday, October 26. macOS Monterey, iOS 15.1, and the other software updates will come out on Monday, October 25.

Article Link: Everything Announced at the Apple Event in Just 7 Minutes

Last edited:
Reactions: Seventy+

MathersMahmood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2016
England
Amazing event. I’m not a mac user but my gosh  know how to make silicon.

Can’t wait to get my hands on the new AirPods. Finally upgrading from the first gen.

I wonder when the phone will get the M1 chip.

SakeBalboa

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2006
Notch knockers beware, it was either this or no webcam or this and no extra pixels lol.
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 6.58.19 PM.png

heystu

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2021
Norwich, UK
Genuinely thought I wouldn't be able to resist the new MBP after what feels like years of waiting for it. But now I've seen it I kinda wonder if my mid-2015 15" i7 MBP isn't just as good - sure it doesn't have the blazing-fast performance of the Apple Silicon but it features all the same ports (albeit USB-A instead of USB-C) and 90% of the time I use it docked to an external monitor so notch-gate isn't so much of an issue. Maybe I'll hold onto my trustee steed for a little longer...

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Genuinely thought I wouldn't be able to resist the new MBP after what feels like years of waiting for it. But now I've seen it I kinda wonder if my mid-2015 15" i7 MBP isn't just as good - sure it doesn't have the blazing-fast performance of the Apple Silicon but it features all the same ports (albeit USB-A instead of USB-C) and 90% of the time I use it docked to an external monitor so notch-gate isn't so much of an issue. Maybe I'll hold onto my trustee steed for a little longer...
Just curious as to what you were expecting not to resist? And what was the deal breaker? This machine is a beast and it looks great. Notch doesn’t bother me one bit.
Apple finally got the “pro” correct on this one (imho), including the “pro” price tag. I don’t need it at the moment, but for people wanting/needing to upgrade I don’t think you could ask for much more then this.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
LAZY, UNINSPIRED NOTCH design transported to laptops. That’s the main story here. A complete lack of innovation, design aesthetic, and user experience. An unnecessary trade-off and bad design. That’s the takeaway here.
Yes, these machines will certainly separate the creative professionals from those who see their Apple devices as a fashion statement. Can we guess which camp you fall into? ;)

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
LAZY, UNINSPIRED NOTCH design transported to laptops. That’s the main story here. A complete lack of innovation, design aesthetic, and user experience. An unnecessary trade-off and bad design. That’s the takeaway here.
lmaoooooogtfohooooo

anyway… I only use a laptop for work and unfortunately it’s a Lenovo, but man… I would love to use an M1 Max 16” MBP. ?

heystu

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2021
Norwich, UK
Just curious as to what you were expecting not to resist? And what was the deal breaker? This machine is a beast and it looks great. Notch doesn’t bother me one bit.
Apple finally got the “pro” correct on this one (imho), including the “pro” price tag. I don’t need it at the moment, but for people wanting/needing to upgrade I don’t think you could ask for much more then this.
You’re spot on this machine IS a beast and it ticks all boxes for sure. I guess like you I’ve realised I too don’t need it at the moment though; when Apple went minimalist on the MBP (ie 4 USB-Cs and nothing more) and whacked the price up by £400+ GBP I was put off and waited on what was announced today, but now they’ve reintroduced HDMI, SD card and MagSafe it really doesn’t feel much different to what I already have. The i7 (forgetting it’s Intel) is still a solid workhorse and for the work I do (data analytics) serves me well. Don’t get me wrong I’d love one of these new MBPs but would find it a little hard to justify (like another poster said I’m just not that “pro”!) Like I said though you’re right it is an awesome piece of kit ?

Reactions: dkamisato and viss

idktbh

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2018
Later this week :"Jony Ive Was Involved in the MacBook Pro Design, Despite Leaving Apple in 2019."

steve217

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2011
NC
Apple finally made a MacBook so "Pro"... that I realized I'm not. <orders MBA after waiting months for the new MBPs>
This! ^^

Checking out the new Pros and I came away with a new level of contentment for my M1 MBA.

I have no more use for one of those MBP monsters than I do a mainframe - or a Mac Pro for that matter.

It feels like order is being restored to the Mac universe.

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
Wow from a psychological perspective I’m fascinated by your response, and what dark layers of rabid hate fuelled experiences lie beneath such baffling negative intensity.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
My only problem with the notch, I can picture some dude editing video out in the field and not knowing, there was a bug on the center top of the lens. (You don't actually have the video until you see it on a big screen anyway and that kind of artifact can be touched up.)

• Haha
Reactions: iLLUMI

anthogag

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
I watched the event. I am not a laptop person. I wanted AirPods Pro news. I wanted mini news.

Apple could reinvent their presentation style and methods. The way they present their new stuff has become stale. It's always the same vibe, the same look,...The only difference was Cook wearing a blue shirt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.