Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottinlexky

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2016
****ing Apple. if I didnt like texting so much on my desktop and laptop, i'd be headed back to Samsung for my phone needs. In the meantime, i shall stick with my 6s

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Does anyone else find Phil hard to listen to?
I usually do. He seemed less annoying to me this year. He talked too damned fast over the parts I wanted to hear, though, presumably to make room for those demos.

I thought this keynote wasn’t too bad. I remember far, far worse ones. One year they had someone demonstrating shopping on an iPad Pro. I didn’t need to spend several minutes watching someone shop online.

I personally am excited that stereo audio recording capability finally came to iPhones. It seems to me someone at Apple finally took notice of where iPhones were falling behind Android phones and made a solid attempt to catch up. It’s disgraceful that they ever fell behind to begin with. But I’m glad to see most deficiencies have finally been addressed.

The real pain points are unfortunately the prices. For me personally, it helps that I’ll be able to trade in existing devices and get back enough to knock some sting out of the prices.

The iPhone 8 Plus that I’m typing on now cost me only $600 last winter after trade in of my 7 Plus. I’ll get $400 in trade for it and knock down the XS I want back below $1000.

(I’m keeping my Product Red 8 Plus though. That, like my iPhone SE, stays in the family).

BC-Doc

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2014
I was unimpressed by the iPhone X last year and ended up purchasing an iPhone 8.
I'm still unimpressed by today's releases-- it looks like the new phones still have the "devil horns" on their displays. I expected Apple would have used the year in between phone releases to engineer the notch away.
My iPhone 8 works great-- it's a solid, work-horse phone and nothing I've seen today tempts me to consider replacing it.

Re: the Apple Watch. I'm a distance/trail runner. If I won one or someone gifted one to me, I might try it but I'm still not sold. Battery life is still too short.

Krieg121

Suspended
Oct 7, 2015

Apple today held its annual iPhone-centric event, and this year's keynote saw the debut of impressive new iPhone and Apple Watch models.

It took Apple two hours to introduce the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, and Apple Watch Series 4 models, but we've recapped the entire event in just six minutes for our readers who want a no-frills overview of all the announcements.

The $999 iPhone XS and and $1,099 XS Max, Apple's two OLED devices in 5.8 and 6.5-inch sizes, were the star of the event, but Apple also introduced the 6.1-inch $749 iPhone XR and impressive new Apple Watch Series 4 models with larger displays, tweaked designs, and an ECG function for better than ever health monitoring.

We've rounded up all of our coverage of today's event in the post below, so make sure to check out everything so you don't miss any of the updates.

iPhone XS, XS Max and XR

[*]Apple Announces 'iPhone XS' and 'iPhone XS Max' With Gold Color, Faster Face ID, and More
[*]Apple's iPhone XS, XS Max and XR Won't Ship With Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter
[*]Apple Reveals 'iPhone XR' With 6.1-Inch Liquid Retina LCD Display and Six Color Options Starting at $749
[*]Apple's 2018 iPhones Continue to Ship With 5W Power Adapter
[*]Apple Releases New Cases for iPhone XS and XS Max
[*]Apple Debuts New AppleCare+ Theft and Loss Plan Priced at $299 for iPhone XS and XS Max
[*]iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max to be Available SIM-Free at Launch
[*]iPhone XS Hands On: XS Max Feels 'Shockingly' Light, Killer Features are Depth of Field Slider in Photos and Dual SIM
[*]eSIM in iPhone XS, XS Max and iPhone XR Won't Be Available at Launch, Apple to Activate Later
[*]iPhone XS Max is Apple's Most Expensive iPhone Model to Date at $1,449 for 512GB
[*]iPhone XS and XS Max Feature Upgraded IP68 Water and Dust Resistance
[*]iPhone XR Hands-On: Vibrant Colors, Solid Camera/Display, and Cheaper Price Should Entice Many Users
[*]New 2018 iPhones Support Background NFC Tag Reading, No App Required
[*]Apple's 2018 iPhones Support T-Mobile's 600MHz LTE Spectrum for Improved LTE Performance

Apple Watch Series 4

[*]Apple Unveils Apple Watch Series 4 With 30 Percent Larger Display, Thinner Body, ECG Reader, Fall Detection, and More
[*]Apple Watch Gains New Band Colors in Sport, Sport Loop, Leather, and Stainless Steel
[*]Apple Watch Series 4 Hands-On: Larger Displays, New Finishes, Slightly Thinner, ECG, and More
[*]Electrocardiogram Functionality in New Apple Watch Series 4 Models Limited to US, Coming Later This Year

Software

[*]Apple Seeds iOS 12 Golden Master to Developers and Public Beta Testers Ahead of September 17 Launch Date
[*]Apple Seeds Eleventh Beta of macOS Mojave to Developers Ahead of September 24 Launch
[*]Apple Seeds tvOS 12 Golden Master to Developers and Public Beta Testers
[*]Apple Seeds watchOS 5 Golden Master to Developers
[*]Upcoming HomePod Software to Add Call Support, Multiple Timers, Find My iPhone, Lyric Search and More
[*]Apple Requiring All New Apps and App Updates to be Built With iOS 12 SDK by March 2019

Other Announcements

[*]Apple Discontinues iPhone SE, iPhone 6s and iPhone X
[*]Apple Discontinues Apple Watch Edition
[*]Apple Shares Full Video of Today's 'Gather Round' iPhone and Apple Watch Event
[*]Apple Releases New Beats Solo3 Wireless and UrBeats3 to Match iPhone XS and iPhone XR
[*]After No Sign of AirPower at Today's Event Apple Wipes Most Mentions From Website
[*]Apple's Event Intro Video Hints at 'Hey Siri' Support for AirPods

The iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and Apple Watch Series 4 will be available for pre-order on Friday, September 14, at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time ahead of a September 21 launch.

Apple's new iPhone XR will be available for pre-order on October 19 ahead of an October 26 launch.

Article Link: Everything Apple Announced at Today's 'Gather Round' Event in 6 Minutes
[doublepost=1536809825][/doublepost]So Apple’s big announcement is “hey everyone, we changed the sizes of our devices and raised the prices...” yawn... but then again people keep buying them.

dewski

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2011
I had made my peace with no new SE coming, but I had my fingers crossed for spec bump in the same old SE casing. Mine broke last week. Oh well, I bought a used iphone 7 today, as it is now their smallest phone. Tough to get used to the size but I suppose I will in time. I really like the concept of the Xr with the colors. Wish it was plastic backed and a little smaller and it would be right up my alley.

Objectivist

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2017
I hope Apple enjoys that trillion dollar company feeling while it lasts...

I was interested in the "plus" sized iPhone XS, but I just can't bring myself to buy a phone called the XS MAX!!!

Apple, you have no class, no sophistication. You are now just a lowest common denominator company like the all the rest, you may as well start selling plastic Chinese junk now, that's where you're headed.

iamtheonlyone4ever

Suspended
May 27, 2016
I think 6 minutes is a bit too long
how about
a new watch and 3 new iPhones

apple is just squeezing the last drop of juice out of their devices
I probably get an iPhone X around 2022 when it cost much less
but at time it might be discontinued by apple bs strategy

I stay with my iPhone 5s until it runs out of updates or until it dies
I will like to buy a new Mac Pro even if it cost 5,000 dollars
but Tim is not focus on that and I'm going to buy an old computer from 2013 that cost over 3,000 dollars

keep making iPhones every year Tim, people will get tired of it eventually

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I hope Apple enjoys that trillion dollar company feeling while it lasts...

I was interested in the "plus" sized iPhone XS, but I just can't bring myself to buy a phone called the XS MAX!!!

Apple, you have no class, no sophistication. You are now just a lowest common denominator company like the all the rest, you may as well start selling plastic Chinese junk now, that's where you're headed.
Wow... you sound like you just took a drama class and need practice because this wasn't real life.... was it? If you can't buy something you're interested in simply because of the name.... well... that says more about you than the name of the phone.

Sevendaymelee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2016
I still can't believe we've gotten to a point in human addiction, er, behavior, where we think one thousand dollars for a smart phone is "okay".
[doublepost=1536820818][/doublepost]
Could be because the rumors revealed most of the details in advance, with even a couple accidental leaks from Apple themselves contributing to it...

The only big details the predictions / rumors largely got wrong were: the Xs price ($100 higher than expected), and the inclusion of a USB-C fast charger (nope).

Or, it COULD be because he remembers the Jobs era where keynotes like this were events where Apple floored us with groundbreaking, society-shifting devices and features... not just boring updates to old devices.

Reactions: simonmet

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
I was unimpressed by the iPhone X last year and ended up purchasing an iPhone 8.
I'm still unimpressed by today's releases-- it looks like the new phones still have the "devil horns" on their displays. I expected Apple would have used the year in between phone releases to engineer the notch away.
My iPhone 8 works great-- it's a solid, work-horse phone and nothing I've seen today tempts me to consider replacing it.

Re: the Apple Watch. I'm a distance/trail runner. If I won one or someone gifted one to me, I might try it but I'm still not sold. Battery life is still too short.
Same and in swden the iphone xs with usable storage (256gb) cost 1635 dollar...
My iphone 8 256gb costed 899... starting understand why many hate apple

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
These new iPhones don’t support 5g? If this is so, with 5g extremely close, I’d rather wait another year before buying a new phone. No point in spending over $1k for a phone that would last me 3 years and not support 5g.

Tend to agree that such heavy investment on Phones, while there is obvious new Mobile technology very much on the horizon would reduce or kill the temptations for immediate upgrade.

Wait for an year and half before upgrading anything that was bought in 2016 and above...
[doublepost=1536824945][/doublepost]
No 5G, 802.11ax, or 120Hz display. Though to be fair, I don't know of any other smartphones that have 5G or 120Hz displays as of now.

It will get lined up soon in Android. But as a buyer i who chooses to part away anything in excess of $700-$750 will have to think about long term perspective.

At $900 & above, it becomes essential that the mobile is cutting edge in all aspects, at $1200 above & you can't even buy something that is going to be outdated within few months.

twilson

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2005
No 5G, 802.11ax, or 120Hz display. Though to be fair, I don't know of any other smartphones that have 5G or 120Hz displays as of now.

All the new phones have 120Hz displays.
[doublepost=1536825310][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1536809825][/doublepost]So Apple’s big announcement is “hey everyone, we changed the sizes of our devices and raised the prices...” yawn... but then again people keep buying them.

That's a bit disingenuous, given the advances inside the A12 Bionic.

That said, nothing there compelling enough to drag me away from my plenty good enough 128GB iPhone 7 Plus (perhaps if I'd opted for the lower storage version I'd have to upgrade.) Hopefully they'll release something worthwhile next year.

Apart from the ECG in the Watch Series 4, everything else was pretty meh.

wozmatic

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2014
To summarize: TOO EXPENSIVE.

This will hurt Apple long term. New buyers will not buy iPhone for the cost, thus setting up a life of them not wanting to ever use them.

A lot of current owners who have older iPhone's that are still supported will hold onto them because they're still pretty well rounded phones, the 7 does pretty much the same stuff - most users won't care about the updates. Mostly just camera improvements.

Also the loss of the home button is a major bummer. Face ID is not something I personally am on board with, so I can't be the only one.

This iPhone 7 will likely be my last iPhone unless they get their s*** together.

Starting at $1379 CAD ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!

Z1OXWqm.png

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I kind of agree with most here, it was pretty much "meh", the watch was a good product however and it is still a market leader in it's regard.

I think this event will be greatly outdone by the coming Google/Microsoft events. Those events always seem to make me go "Wow". I could be tempted to switch to the other side this year.

Apple may have an October release yet and could impress, but let's see...

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
A better comparison:
ILHvMER.png

This image in particular is extremely misleading. The iPhone X/Xs is NOT as wide as the iPhone 7/8 Plus as shown in this photo. Many people report the iPhone X feeling smaller than the Plus phones, or more like the standard 6/7/8 in size due to the different aspect ratio and effect of the notch and curved corners. Even the total area is slightly less despite this image implying that it's greater.

Last edited:

a_to_the_g79

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2017
Dublin
I was expecting this after seeing all the leaks to be honest so not a huge disappointment. My expectations were so high that I thought the Keynote was on today haha

100% skipping this year - and I have been upgrading every year since 5s. As a huge fan of iPhone gotta say that cheap Xiaomis are closing in at 1/8 of the price. The market is becoming so homogenic its difficult to tell the devices apart these days

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.