Everything New in iOS 13 Beta 2: SMB Server Connectivity, Notes Checklists Changes, New Animoji Stickers and More

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this morning released the second iOS 13 beta for developers, addressing bugs, introducing new bugs, and adding and refining iOS 13 features.

There are no super exciting new changes in the second beta of iOS 13, but several features that were not functional in the first beta are now working. All of the changes we've found so far are below:

- SMB Server Connectivity - One of the new features in iOS 13 is an option in the Files app to connect to server using SMB. This feature wasn't working in the first beta, but is functional in beta 2, so iOS 13 users can do things like connect to a home NAS.

- APFS Drives in Files - APFS formatted drives are now supported by the Files app.

- Downtime - According to Apple's release notes, the Downtime feature in Screen Time now syncs to the Apple Watch.

- Safari Share Sheet - When sharing a webpage from the Safari Share Sheet, there are new options to share it as a PDF or a Web Archive. There's also an "Automatic" option that picks the most suitable format for each app or action.

- Notes Checklists - In iOS 13 beta 2, there's a new option to automatically move checked off items in a list to the bottom of the list. You can adjust this in settings or use the popup that comes up the first time you create a list after updating to beta 2.

- Maps Splash Screen - When opening up the Maps app for the first time there's a splash screen that lets you know all of the new features in the update.

- New Animoji Stickers - There are new Animoji stickers available in iOS 13 beta 2 that feature new poses.

- High-Key Mono Lighting - The new High-Key Mono Portrait Mode Lighting option is available in beta 2 on 2018 iPhones.

- Portrait Mode Lighting Slider - The slider that allows you to adjust the intensity of Portrait Mode lighting options is now available.

- HomePod and Apple TV Features - When opening up the Home app in beta 2, there's a new splash screen that lets you know about multi-user recognition on HomePod and profiles on Apple TV. You'll be instructed to set up Hey Siri if it's not activated already, and prompted to add your profile to Apple TV.

Voice Control - When the Voice Control Accessibility feature is turned on, there's a blue microphone icon at the top of the device to indicate that the iOS device is in Voice Control mode.

CarPlay - The Now Playing section of CarPlay features album art in beta 2.

There are a number of other known issues that developers should be aware of before installing the beta, all of which are available through the release notes provided with the software on the developer website.

We've heard reports that iOS 13 beta 2 and iPadOS beta 2 feel more stable than the original betas, but there are a number of remaining bugs and Apple still warns against installing the software on a main device.

Article Link: Everything New in iOS 13 Beta 2: SMB Server Connectivity, Notes Checklists Changes, New Animoji Stickers and More

outdevo

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
I could have swore I already read these in the original article.
Beta 2 significantly better so far... the most annoying bug for me, where spotlight doesn’t get results intermittently, that bug seems to be fixed on iOS, still present on iPadOS.

Reactions: martyjmclean

FutureTech100

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2019
Nice! I’m going to run this years public betas as soon as it’s out. I haven’t been running betas since the X came out being it’s all software to navigate, didn’t want to chance being stuck with the phone bugging out when I need it for work. I need the betas again though, I miss testing

iammarc

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2018
Florida
Did anyone notice the Volume HUD changed. It's on the top now... I tried taking a screenshot but it disappears before.

mitar

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2018
I’m also on 8 plus..maybe just restart is needed

Edit: my bad..for volume is still on the side..for ringer is on the top

RudySnow

Suspended
Aug 27, 2016
Tyler, TX
High-Key Mono Lighting - The new High-Key Mono Portrait Mode Lighting option is available in beta 2 on 2018 iPhones.

What does this even mean? Screenshot?

Reactions: f12003_ga

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
So I’m still unclear on this- for “file access” via server shares or physically connected devices- does that mean apps could edit documents in place now, or can apps still only work on apps within their own confines?

Meaning, if I have a PDF file that starts off on a USB drive, and I want to add a page using app A, and mark it up using app B, could I edit it in place on the USB drive? Or does app A need to import it (copying it to the iPad), and then export a second copy to app B, and then resave the edited file back on the USB drive?

Reactions: macfacts

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
Nice! I’m going to run this years public betas as soon as it’s out. I haven’t been running betas since the X came out being it’s all software to navigate, didn’t want to chance being stuck with the phone bugging out when I need it for work. I need the betas again though, I miss testing
I’ve tested iOS 12 and 13 beta 1 on my iPhone X and haven’t had any issues with software navigation.

gspannu

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
UK
So I’m still unclear on this- for “file access” via server shares or physically connected devices- does that mean apps could edit documents in place now, or can apps still only work on apps within their own confines?

Meaning, if I have a PDF file that starts off on a USB drive, and I want to add a page using app A, and mark it up using app B, could I edit it in place on the USB drive? Or does app A need to import it (copying it to the iPad), and then export a second copy to app B, and then resave the edited file back on the USB drive?
I guess this is going to be more dependant on what the App is capable of? Even today, with simple iCloud Drive; some apps will allow editing on iCloud Drive, while others will insist on making a local copy (and then the 2-way back & forth). ... unless of course, Apple put s limitation that only the Files app can access the USB. Unlikley though....

I'm downloading the Beta and will try and test this out.

Reactions: walnuts

freddiebarnes

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2018
Beta 2 seems a lot better than the first one. Battery on my 6s doesn’t seem to be draining as fast, some Safari issues with YouTube seem fixed, the emoji scrolling issue seems fixed. Mail app still won’t delete any mail from trash though.

All the apps I use have been working ok and I haven’t really had too many issues with bugs. These early betas are much better than the ones in past iOS versions. (11,12, I had a bunch of issues in those first few betas).

Reactions: martyjmclean