Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the fifth beta of the upcoming iOS 17 update to developers for testing purposes, and the Cupertino company continues to make small tweaks and refinements to the operating system.

General-iOS-17-Feature-Blue-Green.jpg

There aren't many changes because we're getting late into the beta testing process, but there are a few updates worth highlighting.

App Store

For App Store downloads, Apple is no longer using all caps for the download buttons. Get, Open, Update, and other App Store button labels are now in title case rather than all caps as they were previously.

app-store-no-caps.jpg

Live Voicemail

Apple has changed the message prompt for Live Voicemail to make it less confusing for people who call you. The prior default voicemail message had wording that said "the person you're calling may pick up," which caused some callers to hold on the line rather than leaving a voicemail.

Here's what it says now:
Your call has been forwarded to voicemail. The person you're trying to reach is not available. At the tone, please record your message. When you have finished recording, you may hang up.

Mood Tracking

Apple is continuing to refine the look of the mood logging feature in the Health app, and there is a new graphic when tapping into the mood tracking interface. There have also been small tweaks to the different graphic options for some of the colors and symbols used to denote each mood.

ios-17-mood-tracking.jpg

Locked Private Browsing

There is a new Safari splash screen for private browsing, which lets you turn on the locked private browsing feature. This pops up when you open up a private browser window for the first time after installing iOS 17, and it gives you an option to enable the setting.

ios-17-private-browsing.jpg

Turning on Locked Private Browsing locks the browser when you leave Safari or lock your phone, and accessing the private browser then requires authentication with Face ID, Touch ID, or a passcode. This feature had been on by default in earlier betas, but it looks like it might be a setting that is opt in when iOS 17 releases.

Locate Siri Remote

When you open the Remote app in the Control Center, there is a new popup that lets you know about the feature that is meant to let you track an Apple TV Siri Remote using your iPhone.

siri-remote-ios-17-b-5.jpg

Though there is a tooltip for this feature, it does not yet appear to be functional.

Shortcuts

The icons that Apple uses for Safari in the Shortcuts app have been refined to make it more obvious what each action does. Apple previously used a Safari icon for everything, but now options like Search Web, Open URL, and Filter Articles have more specific icons.

ios-17-b5-safari-shortcuts.jpg

Messages Check In

Apple has refined the look of the Messages Check In example screen, which is presented so you can see the difference between sharing limited data and sharing full data. This Settings screen now shows the battery charge and iPhone unlocking information that is sent alongside location.

ios-17-messages-check-in-update.jpg

Apple has also updated the wording to make it clear that information is only shared if Check Ins aren't responded to when prompted.

More iOS 17 Beta 5 Features

Know of a feature that we left out in this list? Let us know in the comments below.

Article Link: Everything New in iOS 17 Beta 5

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
When you open the Remote app in the Control Center, there is a new popup that lets you know about the feature that is meant to let you track an Apple TV Siri Remote using your iPhone.
Wait, I don't know how I missed this. The Apple TV remote has had Find My integration this whole time but they never activated it? I'm I understanding this right?

I think I've done cumulatively an hour of couch-digging in the past couple years, so this would have been GREAT to have before :/

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Wait, I don't know how I missed this. The Apple TV remote has had Find My integration this whole time but they never activated it? I'm I understanding this right?

I think I've done cumulatively an hour of couch-digging in the past couple years, so this would have been GREAT to have before :/
Don't beat yourself up too much — the mention is there, but the function itself is still missing :D

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021
How about allow me to upload videos directly from Photos to youtube? How about allow system level automations in shortcuts, like automate VPN depending on certain conditions? Like, allow me to do things that make my life easier.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Don't beat yourself up too much — the mention is there, but the function itself is still missing :D
Well, it's a beta so that's not unexpected.

What is unexpected is that in finished versions of iOS we have somehow not seen integration of this hardware feature. People were rightly kvetching about the lack of Find My support when the Siri remote first came out, so it's just plain weird they didn't address it with an iOS update a couple years ago. It's a marketable feature so they've definitely left money on the table by not selling against it. I guess when you're as big as Apple you can do dumb things like that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Similar weirdness to how the HomePod Mini had temperature and humidity sensors installed day 1, but only recently has there been software support exposing them to the user.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Yay. The most useful and anticipated feature in iOS 17 is still half baked and won't be worth using when Live Voicemail still replaces your message with a boilerplate message meaning you have to choose between the feature and actually having your own recording. FAIL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.